Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
May 24, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #136 of 383
The only other tube amp that I have heard that would be good or better is the ECP Audio T4....also a parafeed amp. Its built by Tom Blanchard in Atlanta and is a tube hybrid of the 3F SS amp....its $2K.

Hand built excellent quality control and and excellent amp.

If I could afford it I would buy one in an instant...

That said, the Tube for its price point IMO is priceless and gives you a similar wonderful experience.

Check out the review and build posts Tom recently put up: https://forum.headphones.com/t/t4-headphone-amplifier-by-ecp-audio-official-thread/5090/83'

This is in no way to lessen the TUBA, which I bought after listening to it and sold several amps because of how well the TUBA works....I I even use it with 13 ohm planars and it really does ok fine!

Alex

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #140 of 383
Got a hold of him via email and he's not doing the crossfeed. Improved signal path, lower distortion, and some added gain with the removal of the crossfeed. He was also able to rewire the transformer for improved performance with low impedance headphones.

Interesting amp indeed. So tempting.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #142 of 383
I have since upgraded the stock mullards to a pair of 59' Amperex D getters and the bass is much better and fuller. Thanks Alex and Wes S for the suggestion

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #144 of 383
Warning the Feliks is optimal with 100 ohm and higher cans....just like other OTL amps....

If your using high impedance cans like Senn HD600s etc ok fine...but it you ever use Focals like the Clears and many lower impedance
headphones this amp will not be optimal at all....

Where the TUBA has low and high impedance outputs....

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #146 of 383
Great as long as your aware of this...the bass will suffer below 100 ohms etc....just the way the OTL are....

My prefence would be the Tuba of course, I have several cans high and low...and like the simple parafeed design....this amp
runs "wide" open...very clear sounding..

Alex

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #149 of 383
The tuba works wonders with just about any headphone that i own and tried. My LCD-X, Focal Clear, Hd6xx, 660s, ZMF Auteurs all sound excellent. My favorite pairings are my Clears and Auteurs. Clears are Tuba are the perfect match and thats the only reason I bought this amp for. However, later i found out that almost all of my headphones pair well with this amp. The only headphone that I dont like my tuba with are my Aeon 2 Closed. These are extremely hard to drive, even for my Liquid platinum. Honestly, i m not even mad because I dont want to listen to planars using my parafeed tube amp. I have other amps for that. With that being said, My LCD-X sounds extremely smooth and relaxing with the tuba, something i cant say for my LP or THX 887.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #150 of 383
Just adding my 2c on the Tuba, it's an outstanding Valve Amp for the price, but I do think it desperately needs a tube swap.
The Mullards it ships with have decent treble extension, but really do a disservice to the bottom end, and are pretty claustrophobic compared to other options.
To my ear even new stock JJ tubes sound better than the new stock Mullards it ships with, mines running a pair of NOS Tungsram, but I thought the NOS Ei's were also very good for about $60 a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back