Had to share...I really like my Grados
Aug 2, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by edgar67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, your cats are probably considerably more comfortable than my Grados. Oh well.

Actually, the cat is a tighter fit... but he doesn't wear the cat how you wear your Grados.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quasimodosbelfry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. While you're at it, get two pairs. Can do a quarter-mod on one pair.

Loving my SR80s with 414 pads... gonna get another pair to do the quarter mod.

Quarter-mod?

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #18 of 29
I think the grados are more comfy with the senn 414 pads. I've been using them that way for a few months now and just recently cut a quarter size hole in them. Does it sound different with the yellow pads & again different with the holes? I guess. Honestly I'm too lazy to do the listening tests. They are a little more comfy though and they still sound wonderful.

I recommend getting them through B&H as they have them in stock for little ca$h. Here's a link to their hd414 page.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot! Just got my SR60s today.

Very different from the IEMs I've always had.

Good thing or bad thing?

bryguy27007- You must try using 414 pads.. it's just that much more comfortable.. with a slight increase in bass, no soundstage , and a yellow. It's definately a looker.

My sr80's are now my portable headphones while i'm biking.. they're open and give great sound.. and look pretty hot imo.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, the guy's got a cat on his head! That's just plain funny!!!
beyersmile.png

Yeah -- it almost made me snort my morning coffee out of my nose!
eek.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing or bad thing?

bryguy27007- You must try using 414 pads.. it's just that much more comfortable.. with a slight increase in bass, no soundstage , and a yellow. It's definately a looker.

My sr80's are now my portable headphones while i'm biking.. they're open and give great sound.. and look pretty hot imo.

I miss some of the details that my IEM offers me, but these have a very different soundstage. IEMs are like being in the middle of the band performing on stage, headphones are like listening to a band performing on stage with front row seats.

I think the Grado SR60s were way too bright when paired with my Soundrigor amplifier and H320. They sounded brilliant when I swapped out my H320 for my sansa clip instead. Cowon D2 + SR60 + FiiO was another great combination.

I think these may need some time to sound good though. The previous owner said he had about 20hrs or something like that on them, so I'll see if they get better as I use them more.

Sennheiser HD414 pads will be something I'm going to buy I think. I find the stock pads a bit uncomfortable. Are these the right ones: Ear pads SENNHEISER HD414 HD 414 Cushions foam cover - eBay DJ Traditional Headphones, Headphones, Headsets, A V Accessories Cables, Consumer Electronics. (end time 20-Aug-08 08:55:45 AEST)

I have a feeling the next headphone upgrade will be imminent though.....the upgrade bug is biting. Hard.
evil_smiley.gif

I wonder how the sr60 will pair with a Xin Supermini 3?

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will think about it, but I do like the look of the plain old Grado.
I suppose if it improves the sound...
I am also considering upgrading to a 225/325i/RS2, and I have no idea what to do.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #26 of 29
well just think of it as the plain old grado mod.. since this mod was made just as the beginning as grados were first introduced... well when the sen hd414's were introduced.. and that's a LONG time ago.. haha

for me

225 = tighter bass improved sq from the sr80
325i = the most gradoish headphone with it's shrilling highs
RS2 = Defined Headphone that is less colored than it's RS1 counterpart.

I would just skip the whole grado line and go with the rs1's.. thats my next step in a couple years or if it trade my hd650's for them with alittle bit of money ofcourse.

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 29
I picked up an SR60 recently. I expected more punch in the lower end than my HD555, but after maybe 10 hours, I still don't have it. Hopefully it will show up, but since the HD555 retails for a lot more, I can't say that I'm disappointed. Good detail, and quite forward.

So far, though, I seem to be an anomaly when it comes to Grado headphones. I don't think that the sound signature is as different from Sennheiser as most people say it is, and I neither love nor hate these headphones; I like them.

Perhaps I need to open up my package of bowl pads and try out an SR60-gone-SR80, but I'd rather return the pads to help me save up for something else
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up an SR60 recently. I expected more punch in the lower end than my HD555, but after maybe 10 hours, I still don't have it. Hopefully it will show up, but since the HD555 retails for a lot more, I can't say that I'm disappointed. Good detail, and quite forward.

So far, though, I seem to be an anomaly when it comes to Grado headphones. I don't think that the sound signature is as different from Sennheiser as most people say it is, and I neither love nor hate these headphones; I like them.

Perhaps I need to open up my package of bowl pads and try out an SR60-gone-SR80, but I'd rather return the pads to help me save up for something else
tongue.gif

If you do open those bowls try the tape mod which will bump up the bass a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back