Had ATH-CK7, now need replacement.
Nov 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JBK1

New Head-Fier
As the headline says: My CK7's broke (connection died at the strain protector on right cable), and my budget says:
SoundMAGIC PL21
SoundMAGIC PL30
SoundMAGIC PL50 (I understand that the PLx's have quite different sound profiles?)
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz M2
Brainwavz AlphaPro
Maybe Head-Direct RE 2

- or something similar.
I really LOVED the brilliant treble of the CK7. Made stuff like Yeasayer's Ambling Alp sound like the greatest tune ever (which it may or may not be, in fact). Have to say, I rarely felt the CK7's to be lacking in bass, even though I only use them with my unamped 3rd gen. ipod nano, so it does not seem like I need lots of bass, although a little more warmth might be nice in some cases...

Music spans from Miles Davis over Ali Farka Touré and Tinariwen over David Bowie (70's) and Dylan over The Clash and The Smiths over Radiohead and Sigur Ròs to Bloc Party and Arcade Fire to Yeasayer, Vampire Weekend, Sleigh Bells, Local Natives, The xx - to name a few...

What should be my first priority, plan B and plan C?
Help, please?

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 2
Ok, I think I had too much stuff crammed into the first post. 
I've tried to narrow things down.
Now, I think I could either
get the PL50's
or the M1's
or PL30's and add a FiiO E5 (maybe with an LOD, maybe not).

If I'm looking for clarity and definition, with maybe some more bass than my previous CK7's to go with the above listed eclectic music choices, what would work best, do you think?

Any better choices that ship free/cheap to northern Europe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back