HA-RX700 sibilance and fatiguing sound?
Nov 20, 2008 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Is anyone else having a problem with this, and will it go away with burn-in? It's so annoying. I just wanted to make sure my cans weren't damaged from moisture in the air or something.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 14
I don't know about the 700s, but the 900s aren't sibilant at all. Very smooth.

What happened to make you think that they might have been damaged by moisture?

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 14
The bathroom is right next to my room, and I take a hot shower every day, which releases enough moisture to fog up all the windows.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 14
lol

No way man. What is your source? What do you play music out of?

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 14
Optimus CD-3640 portable CD player.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 14
You are not alone. I too am hearing this as well. It may be because I'm not using a quality head amp but the RX700 sounds really sibilant compared to the rest of my headphone line up. The sibilance became more apparent after putting on the AD900 pads.

With the stock pads it sounds less sibilant and too muddy. With the AD900 pads it's less muddy but, more sibilant.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Basically, what I'm hearing is:

-sibilance
-harsh highs
-synths can get a little "choppy" at times. then again, maybe they're supposed to be like that and I'm hearing it for the first time

Anyway, after listening for about an hour, I got a taste of the "silent hearing syndrome", which is just when audio fatigue has stressed your ears to the point that everything sounds quieter for about an hour.

This is with the stock pads. Will this clear up after burn-in? They were not really sibilant or fatiguing when I first got them, but then again, I've only listened to them for about four hours, so do you think it's possible I've hit a "rough spot" in the burn-in process?

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Try this: listen at a lower volume.

It takes a minute or two for your ears to get used to it, but I find that my 900s are better balanced at a lower volume.

It's also better for your hearing.
smile.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Keep burning them in, but possibly, they could just be defective. My HARX900 are super smooth, and the highs are just fine.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 14
start by listening at a slightly lower volume this may help the "silent hearing syndrome" it's easy to push the volume too far and not know it especially if the phones are good. My room mate has some AKG 240's a good open back phone it's easy to listen to these louder than you should.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 14
They were great within the first 1-2 hours of listening, then it all just went to hell. I'm still wondering if maybe they've hit a bump in the road during the burn-in process.

And I tried lower volumes. The one CD in my collection it worked with was "Absolution" by Muse. All my other CD's, including others by Muse, were still sibilant and fatiguing.

And if they are defective, how would I get them replaced? I think it's too late to return them to buy.com (do they even allow returns on these things?). I've had them for a while (about a month), I just haven't listened to them a lot because I've had other things going on.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 14
How many hours of playing time have they had? I think I've read on other forums of people complaining about sibilance on the 700s but not the 900s. Have you tried that out of other sources? Maybe your CD player brightens them up, or it could just be that your albums aren't recorded well, check to see if it does the same to well known recorded music. And if you haven't burned them in much I suggest at least 50+ hours.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 14
I haven't burned them in yet. It's been about 4 or 5 hours. Right now all I have is my portable CD player, but once I get the S639F I'm about to order, I'll try it out with some WAV's.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 14
If it is defective, you'll have to cash in on the JVC Warranty. Not sure how that works though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back