HA-FX55 > FX33 & FX66 but no one cares...
Dec 24, 2007 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AnGeLiCbOrIs

500+ Head-Fier
It really surprises me that the JVC HA-FX55 has been around for so long and it just never picked up. On a whim, I just listened to some Porcupine Tree and Opeth with each of the cheap FX series and the FX55 honestly stands head and shoulders above the other two cheap canalphone offerings from JVC. Yet, not only were the FX55 never FOTW or FOTM, one would be hard pressed to even find a one page thread on these.

The FX55 has a much better presentation than the FX66 or 33 and a much more rounded sound without the bass emphasis of the FX33 or the lower mid emphasis of the FX66. For me it's really no question between the three. But no one else cares...

Anyone else try the FX55 and come to a similar conclusion?

PS - The tips that come with the FX55 detract from the sound. Tips from pretty much any other mainstream canalphone make them sound great. I'm currently using the medium tips from the FX66.

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 12
I dunno. I paid $15 for my first pair about two years ago from buy.com. I bought my second pair this summer for $20 at J&R.

I think they are positioned above the 33 and below the 66 but when it comes down to it the online prices seem to run together. The fx55 feels the cheapest out of the three but they just don't break.

Dec 24, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 12
FX55 > FX77 also. For me it is the groovalizer effect. They may not be as good as other phones but they have more soundstage, speed and fun(great PRAT). And yes they don't want to break.

Back in the day, I chose and always recommended them over the KSC-75. Your right, that no one cared.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 12
because the fx33's are only good with the kramer mod, which puts the bass in its place. i agree with the fx66's (they also have a lower/mid treble spike), thats not addressable like with the fx33's. also, they are both easily found at stores, while i've never seen the others.

i was sorely dissapointed in them when i first got them,and also disappointed with my first kramer mod. the bass was ok but the upper mids was very harsh. i finally tried compacting more foam inside, fearing that the treble extension would be compromised, but it remained while bringing the upper mids down, making it much smoother, with the same treble extension. also i've been burning in the fx33/66's for like a month while using other cans. now they are much better than fx66s, though not as comfortable and maybe less isolation

infact the bass seems to be less than hd25's and around the same loudness level as my dt880's..

havn't done any real comparisons at home, this is just me walking around on campus.

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...now they are much better than fx66s, though not as comfortable and maybe less isolation...

How's the sound isolation of the FX33's compared to the FX66's? They're close enough in price that I'm looking at both (~$16 vs ~$30), and I want to use them as cheap IEM's for band practice. The sound quality wont be great anyway, so would the 33 or 66 block out more noise? Also, any other comparisons for the two, or suggestions for other really cheap, very noise-blocking headphones?

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 12
The HA-FX55 is very good but the tips that come with it definitely leave a lot to be desired.
For a long time, the FX55 were lying unused while I plied a Shure E2c but last month saw me hunting it down when the E2c cables started cracking and leaking. Adding the E2c foam tip (it's a little hard to fit it but once it's on, it'll not come off easily) opened up a whole new world on these phones. I was hard-pressed to differentiate it from the E2cs (for the initial 10-15 mins at least). Good, eh?

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 12
well i can at least attest that the FX55 is better than my new FX66. and if the fx66 is supposedly an improvement over the fx33, then i'd hate to hear those!

i just purchased the FX66 via the "buyer's guide" link because i don't have much time for research. they have not been burned in, but i MUCH prefer the sound of my old (broken) FX55's. bass was tighter, and mids and highs much more balanced with the lows.

i like the fit of the air cushions better, but it isn't worth the cost of losing clarity. the sound is far too bass heavy compared to the FX55's. i guess everyone's ears are different, but i don't know how anyone could listen to both pairs and decide that the air cushions sound better.

very dissapointed in the air cushions. unless a miracle happens with burn-in, i'm going to find another pair of FX55's.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 12
For me, the FX66 has better fit and better isolation. The sound is actually very similar. FX66 is slightly bass heavy because of a tighter fit. After I change to an UE tip, the bass seems a little tighter. I prefer FX66 over FX55 and FX300.

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 12
I really liked the sound sig of the 55s (before I gave them to my dad as a present). But theyre canalphones, and when I go portable I usually need isolation, and thats where they let me down. If you like more soundstage, more detail, more airy presentation and don't need much iso, definitely go with 55s imo.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 12
I've always felt the FX55's were truely underrepresented. Amazing earphone at an amazing price. The quality isn't the best, and it does have its flaws (those damn tips), but it's still much better even with those considered.

One of my favorite earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back