H3 Meet Impressions LA 8/18/2012 Thread
Aug 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #16 of 191
Great to see old and new friends again.

Here's some pics.  I didn't take a lot of pics.  There were plenty of much better cameras and photographers than me.

Registration

Member Room

HifiMan EF-6 Rig

Soft Microfiber Alcantara-like "vegan" ear pads for the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3

Head Amp and Justin

Buh dah dah dah dah dah!  Pi-----heeee----co!   Puh--------Hower!!!!!!

The Blue Blue Hawaii SE.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 191
What were the impressions on the HD800s with the HD650s on top of them? I was following the initial thread with curiosity and wondering what ppl thought about that. Otherwise, looks like a great meet from the pics posted so far.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 191
Quote:
Thanks to Purrin and everyone putting together a great meet and
many thanks to those who brought their gears to share.

It was an awesome meet, my first time and I really enjoy it alot.

Here're pictures of the meet:

http://ongvua.smugmug.com/Ongvua/Headphones/20120818-Headphone-Meet-LAX/

LOL, I see what you did there.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 191
What were the impressions on the HD800s with the HD650s on top of them? I was following the initial thread with curiosity and wondering what ppl thought about that. Otherwise, looks like a great meet from the pics posted so far.

Oh you'll read about it. There were no less than a dozen people who tried it out and were quite blown away. It was a big hit actually.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 191
It was great meeting you CEE TEE, and to all the people who stopped by my tables. I really appreciate all the nice comments from all of you, and it made hauling all that gear worth it. I was the last person to finish packing up, and now after going out to dinner we're back in the hotel room and will be leaving tomorrow morning.

Big thanks to Marv and the other organizers who made it a great event. I wish I had more time to get away and check out all the great gear there but I wasn't able to with all the traffic. Hopefully I'll get to hear some of it in the near future.

The LCD3 sounded terrific, much better than I was expecting and I'm glad Sankar showed up. We were next to each other at CanJam '09 and likewise today. Always a great fellow.

Great seeing dallan, santacore, n3rdling, and others again, and of course all the great new members I met today. I'm glad everyone had a great time. Great work, organizing team!

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 191
Quote:

Quote:
Oh you'll read about it. There were no less than a dozen people who tried it out and were quite blown away. It was a big hit actually.

I'll touch more on this later, but seriously it was no joke.  I thought the original thread was one of the most hilarious bait threads ever.  But there is now absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that stacking the HD 650s on top of HD 800s is deadly serious business.  If you're ever curious as to what infinite soundstage sounds like, you have got to try this at least once in your life.  And for anyone that thinks otherwise, that's okay.  It's like math.  You don't need to believe that it works.  But that doesn't change the fact that it does.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 191
Thanks to all the organizers for the meet, it was well worth the trip!

The ortho selection was amazing. Both the audeze and the hifiman setups had their virtues. I never much cared for the stock T50RP, but the Paradox had none of the original's weaknesses.

Awesome variety of stats as well. Chinsettawong's diy take on the Omegas was the surprise of the show for me. Then also getting a chance to listen to the Orpheus, which bests the 009s in a couple of key aspects.

Few setups were underwhelming. The TH900 was disappointing in its lack of substantial improvement over Denon's earlier D series.

Thanks also to UE for the on-site impressions & meet discount & t-shirt.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #24 of 191
I think my friend's reaction is summarizes most people's reactions to the piggyback system 
tongue.gif

Will give my impressions tomorrow once rested, the rest of the pictures are in FB (I'm going to apologize right now for the fact that I take nonsensical photos of things and people, also noticed I gravitated towards some items more so forgive me for repeats lol)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.343264102422559.79652.330131820402454&type=3

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 191
Cool event, it was my first meet.  And this is my 3rd post, haha.   I'm definitely a noob, I only own a pair of Sennheiser HD 518s,  ....needless to say, it's overwhelming to see so many headphones/amps/etc.   I really enjoyed listening to the Orpheus setup, and staring at the red light, that was staring back at me, like Hal in 2001: A Space Odyssey.   Also, it was nice that they had classical music going through that system, as I'm a fan of classical.  I really liked those Sennheiser electrostats.   There aren't many places to hear so many different headphones, it's a unique experience.  I look forward to more events.  Thanks everyone for bringing your stuff, and sharing the headphone experience,
     -Larmeister

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #27 of 191
Had a wonderful time, as always. Great seeing so many new faces as well as a good number of familiar friends. 

Of course, much thanks to purrin and the other organizers for all of their hard effort and volunteering themselves for this. 

There was a lot of great equipment to be heard. There were definitely a few stand out arrangements I liked a lot. I remember a lot of names, but not usernames. Credit to all of these rigs. 

1. ATH-DHA3000 + L3000 : What a rare opportunity with this. I really loved this set up. It looked beautiful and simple, but sounded great. It was like listening to grados in a warm room. Very close and cozy sound that was fast and great for rock. Thanks for bringing this set-up out. 

2. "Mad Dogs" : Well done Mr. Speakers. Really enjoyed hearing your progress with these since last time I heard them. A great can at their price point. Surprisingly neutral, well balanced, open sounding and comfortable headphones. 

3. Eddie Current Stuff  (In general) : Really glad I gave these giants a listen. Loved the sound, love the design

4. Pico: Great upcoming products from pico. The pico power was a great sounding little amp. Really impressed by the clarity and power of an amp in this size

5. Cavalli: Whoah! I forget if it was the liquid glass or liquid lightning I listened to with the HE-6, but what a treat. Best I've heard from the HE-6, hands down. The control on the HE-6 just took on a totally different dimension. Instead of decay in some parts, it sounded like the amp would grab lingering noise and pull it back. Loved this amp, well done sir.

6. Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02 + Audio Technica HP: For some reason this set up really stayed with me. This amp first off looks beautiful. Paired with those nice audio technica was real eye candy. The sound was a very natural balanced sound that sounded very open from a closed set-up. 

7. Schiit balanced gear: The Mjolnir sounds truly wonderful. Kudos to the design on this amplifier. It sounded great with a variety of headphones, which I was very surprised to hear. It didn't sound too bright or edgy for the HD800 or Grado PS500s. The LCDs sounded lifted and open, which was one of my bigger complaints with those headpones. I even pulled over my HE-6 and was pleasantly surprised with the power and open sound with this amp. Thanks to Jason's wife for answering many of my questions. 

8. Hifiman HE-400: Wow! I really enjoyed these headphones. I think they are a great value at that price point. Really an easy listening can with ortho power at a great price ! 

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #28 of 191
LOST AND FOUND: A CD WAS LEFT AT MY TABLE by, I think, the cello-playing dude. If you are him, or know him, PM me and I'll mail the CD to you.

I was enthused to get a chance to hear a Sennheiser HD650 with my DAC and amp, and wow! I dislike the HD800 but turns out the 650 is a warm and musically-involving headphone with decent resolution (or  will have decent resolution after a recable).

Mike

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #30 of 191
Quote:
I think my friend's reaction is summarizes most people's reactions to the piggyback system 
tongue.gif

Will give my impressions tomorrow once rested, the rest of the pictures are in FB (I'm going to apologize right now for the fact that I take nonsensical photos of things and people, also noticed I gravitated towards some items more so forgive me for repeats lol)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.343264102422559.79652.330131820402454&type=3

I can't tell if that expression is a giggle of delight or a derisive laugh of scorn. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back