H140 + E4C = hiss. Anyone else found this?
May 3, 2006 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
I've got significant background hiss from the following setup:

(any audio files, doesn't matter if hi or lo bitrate or format) > iRiver H140 (rockboxed or iRiver FW) > HP jack > Shure E4C.

I just sold a Hornet to buy a home amp which I might use at work as well, but wondering if anyone experiences this.

The Line-out jack also hisses. It doesn't matter if the volume is at lowest, highest or somewhere in between, and doesn't matter if the music is playing or not.

Also, and independant of the problem above: If I'm running off AC power, I hear an extra hum! So I never run off AC for that reason, but now I want a blacker background.

Right now, the best solution I've found is to max out the DAP's volume and use the Shure line attenuator, but I still have more hiss than I'd like, after having used the Hornet! Does anyone know if this is just typical of the HP because of their sensitivity or something? I can't wait to be amped again, as this is pretty annoying!

May 3, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 8
I think maybe having an amp just spoiled my ears for hearing background noise.. I hear hum out of everything now
frown.gif

and NO it's not tinnitus lol

May 3, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
Right now, the best solution I've found is to max out the DAP's volume and use the Shure line attenuator

AFAIK there's nothing else you can do to get rid of that hiss. That's pretty much the only flaw I see in the H1X0 series...

May 3, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 8
IEMs are generally super sensitive. Even the H140 isn't perfect, shown by the hiss that the E4s reveal in it. Even with my Zen Micro, I can clearly hear the HDD spin up once in a while clearly through my E4s.

May 4, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 8
This is well known. It happens with any low impedance cans, which is why the attenuator lowers the hiss. The unit usually hisses badly when there's no music, and much less so when the music's playing. Do a search for several previous threads on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back