Gym phones
Nov 30, 2004 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wildebeest

New Head-Fier
What do you wear at the gym and what do/don't you like about them?

I use the elliptical and lift weights, but my earbuds always end up falling out so much I end up stuffing them back into my pocket, content to listen to grunting testosterone-factories. I don't think Sony V6's would work any better
confused.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 20
Try the koss KSC75 those are fairly small with a good sound and only run about $20. If you cant find em localy try koss.com, there is also the KSC55 that is a "streetstyle" behind the head band that uses the same driver. The 60 ohm KSC cans are some of the best sounding cans koss makes. Life time warantee, cheap price, good sound. Cant beat it.

Nov 30, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 20
I think canalphones are the way to go, IMO. I've worn all of my canalphones at the gym, but I especially like my new Westone um2's with shure triple-flange plugs that effectively tune out all grunts and the desperate heavings of the post-decadence Midwest America. Plus, I can't hear that crap that Lifetime Fitness shows/plays on those video screens...

Nov 30, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 20
Yeah, they play the LAMEST music at the gym. Man. Gotta get me some phones too...

Lyrics to a lame ass song at the gym last night:

"Thats...what....girls do...(that's what girls do)..They keep you guessin' the whole day through...Cause that's what girls do"--How are you suppose to lift massive weight to that?

Nov 30, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 20
What about e2c's?

I ask because i'm considering buying em.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 20
I use my E2cs when I'm working out, and before I had them, I used my MD33s although they tended to fall out, while the Shures don't.

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 20
Everything I've read makes it hard to choose.

I'd like canalphones for their discreet and isolating characteristics but #1 is that they have to stay in my ears and remain comfortable. Now I wonder what my ears are shaped like because everyone has a different "falling out" experience with each different model. Based on price I've narrowed it down to:

sharp md33
sony ex71
shure e2c (last choice b/c of $$$)

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 20
vienna, get in touch!

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 20
I used to wear ety ER6s, and my only complaint was microphonics. Not so bad while lifting, but not worth it when running on the treadmill. Ok for the stationary bikes tho.

My new shure E5c have very little microphonics compared to the ety series and should cure that.

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 20
I went Koss PortaPro --> Shure e2 --> Shure e3. The e3s are here to stay in my head at the gym. No prob for either cardio or weights. Very comfy and great sound.

- walkman

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 20
I haven't used them, or even seen them in person but the new MDR-EX81SL looks like great active listening solution. If you haven't seen them, they use the EX51/71 tips but they have an ear clip as well. They say that they toned down the brightness with this model as well and balanced them out better.

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 20
I have some old Sony MDR-EX70s especially for sport; erogmeter and fitness. I love the way the overpowering bass gives rock a very nice drive. As soon as I'm done, the plugs get repalvced by other can's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back