Gym People- Help!
Aug 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ctepp111

New Head-Fier
I know most people use in-ear at the gym, but I find that in-ear hurts my ears. For those few who go full-size, has anyone found a good pair of sealed isolating phones that stands up well to the gym "environment?" Isolating is key for me, since it enables my sensitive ears to listen at a lower volume. Plus, I want to listen to my programming, not everyone else's programming :)

I heard the signature pro had the sheep-skin, but I think that's outside of my price-range (sub 300). I am a fan of the Ultrasone sound though.

Thank you!

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 7
I use closed over-ear or on-ears at the gym. For bike, stepper, weights, etc., there are no issues with them staying on. For that I have used Phiaton ms400, and Sennheiser Momentum on-ear (have sold them both now). Currently use the NAD hp50's. Kinda clunky but good sound and isolation and convenient on-cable controls. For more active activities, I stick with the iGrado, since they're light, stable & secure.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Cool- Some good picks there. How do the ms400 and Momentum compare to the hp50? I'm not an Apple person, so I'm worried some of the hp50 functionality would be lost on me.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm pretty sure the on-line controls work on androids & any smartphone. But the hp50's come with 2 interchangeable cables, one with and one without controls.
That Phiaton and that sennheiser are more compact. The Senn is on-ear, and somewhat less comfortable (tho not uncomfortable). The Phiaton is kinda on and over ear - it's an in-between size ear cup, but very comfortable due to the soft material and cushioning.
They both fit closer to the head, & are less clunky than the hp.
Wearing closed headphones at the gym means periodic toweling off, of the ears and phones. No big deal.
The sound quality is excellent for both of them. The Phiaton is relatively rolled off on the top. Not a lot of sparkle, but pleasant and mellow. The Senn is well regarded with a lot of reviews. These 2 are also 2 of the best looking headphones ever, IMO. The hp is more expensive and is a step up in sound, but not as pretty visually. More isolation too.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Nice, thank you. I've just had terrible luck with in-ear headphones. After some additional research I am definitely leaning towards the hp-50.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the hp50  stacks up against the pro-750/D600?

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 7
KRK KNS 8400….beast mode for gym. Great isolation, very comfy and made out of very durable plastic. Fits everything in your requirements. I've used it for running, cycling, weights, P90X…just about everything besides swimming 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back