Gustard X20 DAC
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,292 of 1,320
I have just purchased a Singxer SU-1 with a view to getting my Gustard X20u to process DSD512. Unfortunately I can only get DSD256. When I try and process DSD512 it switches to 'unlock'. Is there a component I can upgrade in the Gustard (eg. internal clock) which would enable DSD512. Note when turning on it once 'flashed' DSD512 but quickly resorted to 'unlock'. I am using quality cables. It works with dsd256.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,293 of 1,320
I have just purchased a Singxer SU-1 with a view to getting my Gustard X20u to process DSD512.

Do you have the X20u or X20upro. The pro version has an issues displaying the proper rate at DSD512 but I believe is playing DSD512. Regardless you need to update the firmware of the Singxer to I believe version 2.22 and then after update the singxer driver to v 4.36 both of these can be found on the Shenzhen Audio web site under downloads. Files are probably .rar and need uncompressing via 7 zip or similar. From experience I know the gustard will have brief bouts of white noise when trying to play DSD512, they don't last long but do occur. When it plays DSD512 it really sounds very nice and not that far from my T+A dac.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,294 of 1,320
Do you have the X20u or X20upro. The pro version has an issues displaying the proper rate at DSD512 but I believe is playing DSD512. Regardless you need to update the firmware of the Singxer to I believe version 2.22 and then after update the singxer driver to v 4.36 both of these can be found on the Shenzhen Audio web site under downloads. Files are probably .rar and need uncompressing via 7 zip or similar. From experience I know the gustard will have brief bouts of white noise when trying to play DSD512, they don't last long but do occur. When it plays DSD512 it really sounds very nice and not that far from my T+A dac.

Many thanks for the reply. I have the original x20u. I downloaded the latest driver 4.36 from shenznenaudio which does not include firmware. Please can someone send me 2.22

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,296 of 1,320
I have been able to find 2.22 but I am now struggling to find the singxer firmware update utility

I think you mentioned that you found the firmware you needed if not it is under singxer on the downloads section of the shenzhen web site. I am not sure but if you unzip the file there may be instructions on how to upgrade the firmware for the singxer. I only did it once and was almost 1 year ago so memory is a bit foggy on the procedure. I remember it being very easy tho.

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,297 of 1,320
I think you mentioned that you found the firmware you needed if not it is under singxer on the downloads section of the shenzhen web site. I am not sure but if you unzip the file there may be instructions on how to upgrade the firmware for the singxer. I only did it once and was almost 1 year ago so memory is a bit foggy on the procedure. I remember it being very easy tho.[/QUOyes

Yes it supposedly installs the firmware update utility in /program files/xmos when you install the usb driver. I'll give it another go later today. It maybe an issue with 64bit and the need to reset the install directory to /program files (x86)/XMOS.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,298 of 1,320
Yes, you must install SIngxer driver; then use SIngxer XMOS dfupdate to update firmware to v 2.22. If I remember well, the utility is located into the installation directory location.

However, that white noise/hiss on DSD 512 really sucks. And the missing support by the Gustard Company sucks much more. No more products by Gustard thanks.

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #1,299 of 1,320
Yes, you must install SIngxer driver; then use SIngxer XMOS dfupdate to update firmware to v 2.22. If I remember well, the utility is located into the installation directory location.

However, that white noise/hiss on DSD 512 really sucks. And the missing support by the Gustard Company sucks much more. No more products by Gustard thanks.

Yea, finally got it to work. I had another XMOS driver for another device cluttering the system. Once removed the Singxer XMOS drivers successfully installed.
I then moved the Singxer to my Daphile / Gustard system and DSD512 worked. Even better there is NO HISS. And I agree there is a noticeable improvement to DSD256.

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,300 of 1,320
And I agree there is a noticeable improvement to DSD256.

Yes 512 is just more real more there, 256 is like listening to a really good stereo, 512 is like being there. Much more analog like than 256 as well. I just finished upgrading my phono stages power supplies this past week and fired up my SME30mk2 TT with dynavector XV1s cart on it and have listened to vinyl exclusively the past 2 days with this rig. As good as vinyl can be my current set up with the T+A dac, upgraded DC power cables (started with PoE cat 7, then cat 8, now gotham Gac 4/1 ultra pro) clearly out does vinyl. Transparency is higher with 512, geometry of stage is larger, more separated and performers are more fully fleshed out with 512, The energy in the room is different and (to me) preferred over vinyl. Also the speakers just totally disappear, as big as mine are they are gone with just a beautiful sound field left, it transports me to the stage. Vinyl, at least at my pretty decent level can't match it.

The gustard when I had it at 512 is pretty close to the T+A at 512, not quite but close enough considering the $ difference. Good news on the no hiss, but there will be some bursts at some point based on reports.

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,301 of 1,320
You have an extreme system which must be very revealing.

I've moved to digital and not looked back. CDs and Vinyls rapidly gathering dust. I'm not surprised that a good digital system out plays vinyl. When you consider the tracking of the needle and the way the 'music' is transferred to an electrical signal you begin to appreciate you are only hearing 50% of the music. The needle alternatively tracks each half of the stereo signal to reproduce an 'analogue stream'. DSD512 not only reproduces the full music recorded content but applies intelligent algorithms to fill in the gaps and render a signal which is probably as close to the original sound as you can get barring reel to reel tape?. But please not yet another format discussion. Just enjoy the music and treasure the artists and recording engineers who make it all possible.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,302 of 1,320

I complete agree with Quadman's statements.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #1,303 of 1,320
... DSD512 worked. Even better there is NO HISS.
No hiss on DSD 512? Never? Too good to be thru. Please, check with more music.

Here you can look at what exactly happends and hear the noise:

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,304 of 1,320
No hiss on DSD 512? Never? Too good to be thru. Please, check with more music.

Here you can look at what exactly happends and hear the noise:

Yes, you are right. Although it was initially very quiet I now get some minor noise but only for a few seconds on the initial power on startup and thereafter it is all quiet. The initial startup noise is not really an issue.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,305 of 1,320
Hey there Quadman

I was about to message you when I saw your post ...

I finally got direct I2S into the X20's internal PCIe slot to work.

The pin assignment diagram that Gustard initially sent me was wrong.

Once I swapped the B7 & B9 pins round all was fine, and connection is actually
pretty simple really.

I'd previously attempted wiring up the MCLK OUT(pin B17) and MCLK SEL(pin B13)
However, since it doesn't look like DSD input requires these, I didn't wire them
up as I'm only interested in DSD at the moment (3.3v pin B15)

Anyway, my recently purchased Audiophonics I2S to HDMI adaptor board is now
redundant. Luckily it only cost about £12.00.

I'm currently using PCB pins into the side slots of the PCIe connector.
But will look into maybe adapting/making a high quality PCIe board for this purpose
(standard PCIe cards require modification as some of the pins are inconveniently linked)

My WaveIO will now be living inside the X20 casing, with 30/40mm leads going
direct into the PCIe slot.

This is what I'd originally wanted when I purchased the WaveIO. It's been a bit of a
journey, but I'm glad I'm there now.

Regards

Simon
I am trying to connect Dante DIO XLR card directly using internal pcie socket but no success so far. It feeds PCM only. Shoud I use any different pins than on diaphragm provided by Gustard?

Pin B15 to GND for PCM. But what else I am missing? I tried swap B7 & B9 but no effect either.

IMG_2098.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back