Gustard X20 DAC
Jun 5, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #781 of 1,320
  I am curious, if your unit is CE-marked.  I bought mine from China and paid German import duties, VAT, etc.

I checked it and I did not see any CE marks on the dac.

All of the drivers for this dac from China are unsigned and windows driver signature must be turned off to install.  Yes Pan Badu is a pain and I finally got ME to download the driver and antivirus said it was okay and it is working just fine on PC.  The DIY V3.34 driver has been taken down from their site as Theyscon must have went after them and they now offer a signed version of this driver for $5 but they say it only works with the DSD512 card or their multichannel card.  Here is a link to a free driver on their site that should do at least DSD128 and they claim DSD256 but I have not verified this.  You need to sign up for an account, add to cart and download.  Again to install you must turn off windows driver signature.  http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/driverdatasheetmanual/62-diyinhk-dxio-stereo-usb-audio-driver-v223.html

Also I found when I got the second Gustaed that the warranty card and mini cd had slid under the bottom cardboard flaps and were not visible unless you lived the flap.  My guess that driver is also unsigned and you need to turn off driver signature as well.

Thanks I will test this driver as well.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #783 of 1,320
  Has anyone recently compared the X20 (without any modifications) to other DACs, like the ones from Schiit? I'm thinking of buying the X20 to use with the HE-560. Thanks.

In february Marty posted this, and the Gustard was stock  http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20090-DACs-Galore-and-Expectation-Bias

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #785 of 1,320
  I checked it and I did not see any CE marks on the dac.

Thank you for your check.  This is exactly what I assumed.  This UK seller simply ignores the EU regulations.  That is why their price is low (= the same Chinese export price including EU VAT on your invoice, which does not necessarily mean this VAT is forwarded to the government).

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #786 of 1,320
@Whit3Rav3n looking at your pictures the oscillator clock is the newer Accusilicon clock which started showing up in models shipped in April, and it is hard to tell but the rectangular blue caps on the output board may be mounted flush to the PC board and, if so, until very recently were up in the air about 3/16 of an inch.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #787 of 1,320
Jun 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #788 of 1,320
  Thank you for your check.  This is exactly what I assumed.  This UK seller simply ignores the EU regulations.  That is why their price is low (= the same Chinese export price including EU VAT on your invoice, which does not necessarily mean this VAT is forwarded to the government).

Judging by the shipping time of two weeks, I guess the trick is that they don´t sell from the UK. The UK warehouse doesn´t seem to have anything available, they just forward packages from hong kong. They can probably get around the problem of not having a a CE certificate by this.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #789 of 1,320
Hi 
After i upgrade foobar2000 to 1.3.10 version and i can't initial gustard driver or can't find the device on foobar2000 especially DSD asio driver.Do The X20u have a new driver and where can i download the newsest driver?

Thank you

lap

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #791 of 1,320
  Hi 
After i upgrade foobar2000 to 1.3.10 version and i can't initial gustard driver or can't find the device on foobar2000 especially DSD asio driver.Do The X20u have a new driver and where can i download the newsest driver?

Thank you

lap

I don't use foobar, possibly these instructions from the DIYinHK site might help and this link also has a free driver.  http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/58-xmos-dsd-dxd-384khz-high-quality-usb-to-i2s-pcb.html  Scroll down a bit to find foobar installation instructions.
  Does Gustard have a website??

They do not have a website

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #793 of 1,320

Maybe an email address? I have a problem with the driver

I don't think they even have that, that I am aware of.  Email the re-seller you got it from they seem to be helpful.  You can also try the link on the DIY site I have above my comment to you.  You have to register on their site before you can add to cart.  I also suggest deleting any old drivers before installing new ones, apparently they don't play nice together. Xmos site also offers an evaluation driver for free if you register, this one is signed and easier to install but beeps after 60 minutes and you need to reboot computer to reset.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #794 of 1,320

I was stupid enough to buy this driver and it only works with their PCB - Please do not order this item if you do not own our 768K or multichannel PCB. I was hoping to upsample via IIS to DSD256. Just bought U12 in addition to X20. Could anyone send me this driver. I could send the 5 dollar driver to anyone who needs it. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #795 of 1,320
  Hey Now,

On sale at Amazon for $799 for USB model. Just picked one up.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Hey Now,

Ordered on Amazon on Monday, June 6th --> arrived today, June 9th at 1200 noon EDT! Gustard X20U in da' house. How'd it get here so quick from Shenzhen, China? Shipped via DHL.

Not working with my DIY Intel NUC Audiolinux music streamer, but using it with my 5K iMac -> Roon -> HQPlayer -> upsampling all files to DoP 128 -> AQJB -> Kimber Cable USB Cu -> Regen -> Gustard -> Balanced out -> Parasound P3 -> Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro mono blocks -> Omega Super 3Ts w/Crown XLS-1500 bucket subs. Sounding pretty good out of the box, gonna let it run for a few days and check back in with it.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back