Gustard X20 DAC
Apr 28, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #691 of 1,320
@ginetto61 I and many other used ebay (forexman), I have ordered 2 and both came quickly and in perfect order.   

Thanks !!!  that is the Man !!  i bought from the same seller 

Marty @nc42acc has used his Gustard as a preamp with great success.  remember there is only one set RCA out and one set AES out.  
Also high output voltage 3.3V at 0db on RCA and 6.6V at 0db on AES, so check your amps sensitivity.     

Another very good news !  but for me is however very important the remote control and the switchable multiple digital inputs.   

i do not have many sources however.
Thanks a lot again, gino 

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #693 of 1,320
  @ginetto61 The remote can select input source, it is very small and not the best ergonomics but it does get the job done.

Perfect !  however i have already a balanced line preamp ... not the end of the world but quite clean and low noise.
after reading many posts on this excellent thread and seeing the level of the dacs to which it has been compared positively i am very excited. 
In case the usb port will give me issues i have always the U12 to try with it.  
Thanks a lot again.  
Regards, gino 

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #694 of 1,320
  @WB2016 Thanks for the info on HDMI, I only ran 1.5M lengths and would have researched more if I needed longer.

@ginetto61 I and many other used ebay (forexman), I have ordered 2 and both came quickly and in perfect order. Marty @nc42acc has used his Gustard as a preamp with great success.  remember there is only one set RCA out and one set AES out.  Also high output voltage 3.3V at 0db on RCA and 6.6V at 0db on AES, so check your amps sensitivity.

@jeffjazz I would seriously look at getting a small i5 or i7 based computer near your audio system, (intel NUC, Gigabyte brixx, mac mini) to minimize the length of cable needed to connect to your dac,  the SQ would improve greatly Tidal has an app to make it easy to control with phone or notepad.  

Thanks Quadman,
The inmates have been very informative here and I have learned much.  I am considering running Daphile off an old laptop collecting dust.  It specs with a Centrino Duo CPU and 2 Gigs ram.  Which  is supposed to be more than I need to run this. Will purchase an external 2-3 gig hard drive with it.  Then I don't have to deal with any long cable runs.  I did learn they make Ethernet to Usb cable adapters.  So I could potentially just use the adapter from my router which is close to my system as another option, but I prefer the former setup. Still reading much about the Gustard.  The cheapskate in me is still considering upgrading my Schiit Bifrost to Bimby R2R, since it is supposed to be very close to Gungnir and not far from the Yggy, and I can only run SE in my system. But The Gustard sounds like a world beater for $870. I do worry about the support though. Decisions, decisions!!!

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #695 of 1,320
Hi Mhztweaker,

As you see I am new here at Head-Fi and a new user using a DAC comp. Please, can you send me also the English manual & the latest driver (also if you have one for Win 10). I have another small request, can you tell me, if you already have this component, what are the correct settings I should make while connecting true USB Connection.
I would like to know that does it matter using high level cables ?, the USB and the RCA too?, And on which RCA connection should I join the Gustard X20u (CD, Tape-MD, DVR, BD, etc ?)

I would appreciate very much if anyone else can help me too.

Thanks very much for your help and answers

My Email : indianfreak@gmail.com

May 1, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #698 of 1,320

Thanks Quadman,
The inmates have been very informative here and I have learned much.  I am considering running Daphile off an old laptop collecting dust.  It specs with a Centrino Duo CPU and 2 Gigs ram.  Which  is supposed to be more than I need to run this. Will purchase an external 2-3 gig hard drive with it.  Then I don't have to deal with any long cable runs.  I did learn they make Ethernet to Usb cable adapters.  So I could potentially just use the adapter from my router which is close to my system as another option, but I prefer the former setup. Still reading much about the Gustard.  The cheapskate in me is still considering upgrading my Schiit Bifrost to Bimby R2R, since it is supposed to be very close to Gungnir and not far from the Yggy, and I can only run SE in my system. But The Gustard sounds like a world beater for $870. I do worry about the support though. Decisions, decisions!!!

Hi

Thanks for the Daphile insight. I liked what I saw and  downloaded it. After a successful session with my office SMSL M8 (DoP DSD128) I formalised the Daphile USB  install to my music client SSD (HP 8480p, i7 920 (2.6ghz), 4GB RAM) and tried connecting to my Gustard U12 and X20u. With the U12 I could only achieve PCM and not DSD;  and I could not get the X20u to work at all (got sound but it kept breaking up - tried lost of settings but none stopped the breakup). Bit annoyed as I will now have to rebuild my Music client - teach me not to do a backup. I'll give it a week and see if anyone has any suggestions.

May 1, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #701 of 1,320
  Hi Mhztweaker,

As you see I am new here at Head-Fi and a new user using a DAC comp. Please, can you send me also the English manual & the latest driver (also if you have one for Win 10). I have another small request, can you tell me, if you already have this component, what are the correct settings I should make while connecting true USB Connection.
I would like to know that does it matter using high level cables ?, the USB and the RCA too?, And on which RCA connection should I join the Gustard X20u (CD, Tape-MD, DVR, BD, etc ?)

I would appreciate very much if anyone else can help me too.

Thanks very much for your help and answers

My Email : indianfreak@gmail.com

Good day

gmail will not allow drivers or any binaries to be sent at attachments. I have tried. This is clearly stated by Google as well.

You are better off using Google to find a download link:

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/gustard-dac-x20-super-ultimate-2-x-es9018-xmos-hifi-dac-384khz-dsd-dop-decoder.html

or at the top of this thread:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1ntDUtqp

As for a manual, I do not think I have one or have even looked at one. Honestly it pretty easy to figure out.

I am using the 3.2 driver but am about to try this new 3.34 driver
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/driverdatasheetmanual/108-diyinhk-usb-audio-driver-v334.html

You have to add the item and pay 0.00 for it then follow the directions to the details in your order after you fill out tons of information to create an account.
It takes a minute or two but I was able to download this latest driver.

I do use decent cables but nothing really fancy..... yet... :wink:
I use the balanced XLR's out from the X20u into my Krell KRC-3 preamp. Right now I am using a pair these inexpensive XLR cables
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANARE-L-4E6S-QUAD-MICROPHONE-MIC-CABLE-NEUTRCK-XLR-WHITE-5-FT-/152022777090?hash=item2365437d02:m:m-EVjlYhDja99RAec8hYf1Q

I have purchased many sets of cables from this guy. He is honest and provides a good value product
I am also using some of his other RCA cables:

2 FT SILVER PLATED MIL-SPEC AUDIOPHILE INTERCONNECT FOR DIN AMPLIFIER RCA CABLE
4 FT SILVER PLATED MIL-SPEC AUDIOPHILE INTERCONNECT FOR DIN AMPLIFIER RCA CABLE.
3 Ft Pair Canare L4E6S Blue Star Quad RCA to RCA HIFI Audio Cable

I have also purchased cables from here:
http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/cableassemblies.htm
...great people to deal with as well

I don't believe it matters much if you use any of the various inputs whether they are CD, BD, Aux with the exception of anything labeled PHONO, which may or may not have a phono preamp involved. Also keep in mind that Tape connections may (or NOT) involve a monitoring feature that when used with a 3-headed tape deck allows record monitoring as you record. (old school). You will see a pair of Tape In's and Tape Out's if this is the case.

I was using an iFi micro USB 3.0 until it burned out after I moved some equipment around this week. The dealer shipped me a new one which I will have in 24 hours.
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/

I also ordered an Uptone Audio Regen as well to experiment with for cleaning up and reclocking the USB digital signal.

I hope some of this helps

May 6, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #702 of 1,320
Shenzhenaudio.com really shipped out my X20 fast so that I got it today, here in Virginia!

Hooked it to my headphone system. I am now listening it through a Valhalla 2 and HD650. The configuration is very plain as follows:

PC->USB->X20->Valhalla 2->HD650

No complains about its sound yet at this initial stage (only a couple tracks). Any suggestions about how to make it sound good or better are appreciated.

May 6, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #703 of 1,320
@wwmhf

How are you processing the music? Is it flac or larger? Mp3 does not sound all that great on a high end system!
Have you tried foobar, jriver or hqplayer for dynamic up sampling to dsd128?
Better still, if your PC is a dedicated music player have you looked at daphile - poor mans jplay?
Are you interconnecting cables short and of middle to high quality?
If you want more then explore some of the mods - no transformer bolts, twisted mains etc ...

May 7, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #704 of 1,320
Hey all, 

Does anyone use the X20U strictly for headphone use through USB and find it worth it for the sound quality? I'm planning to use it with the HD650's and I find that others here use the DAC to power speakers as well and may not be willing to pay the asking price if I'm not "utilizing" it fully.

Thanks
Richard

May 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #705 of 1,320
Shenzhenaudio.com really shipped out my X20 fast so that I got it today, here in Virginia!

Hooked it to my headphone system. I am now listening it through a Valhalla 2 and HD650. The configuration is very plain as follows:

PC->USB->X20->Valhalla 2->HD650

No complains about its sound yet at this initial stage (only a couple tracks). Any suggestions about how to make it sound good or better are appreciated.

Hi i would study about the different ways to realize the usb connection. 
redface.gif

I would also evaluate the possibility to enter spdif or AES/EBU in the X20 
rolleyes.gif

At least it is what i will be doing asa i will receive my X20U for sure.
I have bought one also fo myself.
wink.gif

Regards, bg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back