Hi ! thanks a lot indeed for the kind link
I will try this evening because now i am using the office pc
wink.gif

As i said in the worst scenario i will use a usb to spdif converter
actually i wonder how good is the usb interface on the Gustard X20 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot again
gino 

The Gustard uses the XMOS USB audio 2.0 interface - http://www.xmos.com/products/usb-audio
The driver is based on the Thesycon TUSBAUdio driver

The proposer Thesycon driver needs to be licensed and includes setrtings for latency etc
Unfortunately Gustard have developed a cut down version of their own with no user settings
This does not mean to say it is bad

There is a modified thesycon driver available for use with the Gustard U12
I could not get it to work with the X20
This driver enables native DSD256 processing on the U12
The U12 can then pass this to the X20 using the IIS interface and a HDMI cable
The U12 then displays DSD256 - not possible with the supplied driver.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #647 of 1,320

The Gustard uses the XMOS USB audio 2.0 interface - http://www.xmos.com/products/usb-audio
The driver is based on the Thesycon TUSBAUdio driver

The proposer Thesycon driver needs to be licensed and includes setrtings for latency etc
Unfortunately Gustard have developed a cut down version of their own with no user settings
This does not mean to say it is bad

There is a modified thesycon driver available for use with the Gustard U12
I could not get it to work with the X20
This driver enables native DSD256 processing on the U12
The U12 can then pass this to the X20 using the IIS interface and a HDMI cable
The U12 then displays DSD256 - not possible with the supplied driver.

Hi !

do you mean that the drivers for the U12 do not work with the X20
rolleyes.gif

... this is bad because i am using with good results a U12 right now 
frown.gif

I wonder if the drivers for Melodious, another XMOS based interfece,  could work by the way.  I have those as well.
I do not know how good is the usb interface on the X20.  I guess this could be the best way to connect pc and X20.

At some point i truly hope that at Gustard will think about a nice web site
with precious support to customers who are growing in number a lot.

i think that a nice web site would help a lot in promoting a good image for the brand.
Unless they actually do not want this.  For same reasons.
Thanks a lot again, gino

Sorry i have another question
can i connect the X20 with the U12 with a normal HDMI cable ?   that would be fantastic !!!!
i cannot wait to receive this dac ... i am sure that for at least 3 years i would be fine with it.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #650 of 1,320
Hello.
I find Thesycon driver that support Native DSD.  Every  can download from DIYINHK : USB Audio Driver v3.34. But in your PC you must disable driver signing verification. After all works with no problem, no need Using DoP. You must order and pay 0 €
normal_smile .gif
, then download.

DIYINHK USB Audio Driver v3.34

1. For Windows 7/8/10 (32 and 64 bit),
  2. Support XMOS 768K and multichannel PCB upto DoP DSD256 and Native DSD512.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #651 of 1,320
Gino makes a good point. How hard would it be to do a decent website in English? (With the capability to download manuals and drivers without it being a sadistic treasure hunt. I would also be shocked if there werent several reputable importers that would take the line, which would help with distribution and service.. I understand these things add to costs but I want to buy gear thats serviceable in the US. Especially when it comes from China. Yeah Gustard supposedly makes reliable gear, but even the best gear breaks sometimes.

As tempted as I am with the X20, $800+ is still a lot of coin if it turns out to be a turd.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #652 of 1,320
  Hello.
I find Thesycon driver that support Native DSD.  Every  can download from DIYINHK : USB Audio Driver v3.34. But in your PC you must disable driver signing verification. After all works with no problem, no need Using DoP. You must order and pay 0 €
normal_smile .gif
, then download.

DIYINHK USB Audio Driver v3.34

1. For Windows 7/8/10 (32 and 64 bit),
  2. Support XMOS 768K and multichannel PCB upto DoP DSD256 and Native DSD512.h

Thanks for the link. Please confirm this works with the x20.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #655 of 1,320
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I wonder though if the Gustard x20u would sound better in my system. I am running a Schiit Bifrost Uber Dac
fed from a Squeezebox Touch which plays all my CDs and Tidal app from my Windows 8.1 PC. I'm running a 50 foot Ethernet cable in my crawl space to the Touch.
From what I have read the Gustard sounds best when you use a media player like Foobar (or similar) and upsample to DSD and install a USB driver and run a USB cable to the Gustard from your PC. That is not practical in my system and I would no longer use my Touch. One possible option which I don't think will work is run the EDO app on my Touch which would allow it to send USB to the Gustard Dac. Only problem is the Touch runs Linux and I don't believe I could upsample directly from the Touch to the Gustard to get to DSD. Following all of this???!!!
Any technical gurus out there to help me figure this out?
I'm either going to upgrade my Schiit Bifrost to run the R2R dac (Schiit Bimby) inside it for $250 and just run PCM (FLAC actually) from my Touch.
Will the Gustard sound appreciably better than the Schiit Bimby running just PCM?
I'm on the fence as to which way to go.
Thanks!

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #656 of 1,320
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I wonder though if the Gustard x20u would sound better in my system. I am running a Schiit Bifrost Uber Dac
fed from a Squeezebox Touch which plays all my CDs and Tidal app from my Windows 8.1 PC. I'm running a 50 foot Ethernet cable in my crawl space to the Touch.
From what I have read the Gustard sounds best when you use a media player like Foobar (or similar) and upsample to DSD and install a USB driver and run a USB cable to the Gustard from your PC. That is not practical in my system and I would no longer use my Touch. One possible option which I don't think will work is run the EDO app on my Touch which would allow it to send USB to the Gustard Dac. Only problem is the Touch runs Linux and I don't believe I could upsample directly from the Touch to the Gustard to get to DSD. Following all of this???!!!
Any technical gurus out there to help me figure this out?
I'm either going to upgrade my Schiit Bifrost to run the R2R dac (Schiit Bimby) inside it for $250 and just run PCM (FLAC actually) from my Touch.
Will the Gustard sound appreciably better than the Schiit Bimby running just PCM?
I'm on the fence as to which way to go.
Thanks!

I have no idea on the impact on the audio quality (jitter!) but you could always try a USB Ethernet extender (see http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Ethernet-Extender-GUCE51-Black/dp/B000O2X2OA) and do away with the Touch. This might also be useful - http://archimago.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/measurements-usb-cable-extension-with.html

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #659 of 1,320
  Hello.
DSD56 and DSD128 from USB and DSD256 and DSD512 from I2S.

I know the Squeezebox Touch can send out USB with the EDO app installed.  But I cannot upsample from USB on the Touch since it is not a PC and will not run Foobar. The Touch only runs the Logitech Media center on my PC and the Touch sees that only.  So it appears I can't upsample the USB connection in this setup, and even though I am sending USB out to the Gustard it would only see it as PCM. Correct?

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #660 of 1,320

@edis6 Bummer same as my 3.2 driver, was hoping for 256 just to try.  Guess I need the F1 usb/coax card or wait for the Su-1 or even figure a way to max the DIYinHK 768 card work with the X20

@jeffjazz is your SBT stock?  The Bitfrost is not in the same league as the Gustard.  The way you are now I would suggest getting a dedicated linear psu for the SBT, huge difference and the gustard with some simple mods and enjoy, even PCM the Gustard is really good.

Also not sure if there is a length limit to HDMI cable (anyone know) but with a nice DDC near your PC and a 50 ft hdmi cable (if it does not degrade sound) to dac may be the way to go, or look into a NUC computer to go near the dac and then run that USB to dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back