Gustard X16 MQA DAC
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #122 of 201
What are your sound impressions? Or maybe a prior question would be what we’re you running before and what changed when you hooked up
Your Arya’s to the x16? I am currently using a topping d50s, looking to upgrade..
Ah this is where I suddenly become much less useful - I was running nothing before :)

That being said, I severely doubt it’ll make any difference, especially for DAC. They both score well on ASR, and some acquaintances just did blind test of DACs and couldn’t hear any differences between any of them (and these are people will Arya/Susvara and equivalent ZMF/Audeze/HEDD cans).

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #124 of 201
how to update the gustard x16
Contact your dealer, they should send you a programmer that you can use. Instructions and files are posted over at ASR.

Firmware upgrade complete. DSD issue resolved. It took some trial and error to figure out you need to unplug and plug back in the pins to get the MCU check to kick off (and the new firmware to update).

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #126 of 201
Contact your dealer, they should send you a programmer that you can use. Instructions and files are posted over at ASR.

Firmware upgrade complete. DSD issue resolved. It took some trial and error to figure out you need to unplug and plug back in the pins to get the MCU check to kick off (and the new firmware to update).
What is ASR?

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #127 of 201
What is ASR?
Audio Science Review

Check page 11 or so for the discussion surrounding the DSD issue, and the test files needed to confirm its even an issue on your particular unit. Page 14 has a zip of the documentation of how to perform the upgrade as well as all the files needed once you have the programmer (drivers, new firmware, instructions and the program needed to perform the upgrade)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/gustard-x16-owners-feedback.20055/page-18

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #129 of 201
WOW is it complicated to update the gustard x16 !!! what advantages are there with the update?
It fixes the DSD issue. If you don’t have a pre production unit that didn’t have the firmware updated before leaving the factory and you aren’t experiencing the DSD issue then there is no need to update.

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #131 of 201
Can I find out if my x16 needs the update or not?
Page 11 of the thread I linked to, there are test files. If you hear clicking and popping on the DSD file then you have the issue (If its totally silent on the DSD file, just like the .WAV file then you are fine)

Also this only impacts DSD, so if you don't use DSD (or upsample to DSD) then it may not be worth it to you. I don't use DSD personally but decided to do it anyway for resale value and it was easier than sending the DAC back to ShenzenAudio for them to do it.

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #133 of 201
Then you have Youtubers Like Zeos reviewing super expensive dacs like Holo May and saying there's absolutely no difference..
This is such a confusing hobby sometimes.

I was planning on lurking through this thread, and even though it's an old post I have to respond to this.

The difference is there. And it's not that hard really to hear. I have what I considering two 'reference dacs' that I use to compare new contenders with. At the moment those two reference are the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition and the Pentaconn/MQA version of the iFi iDSD Pro. With tubes now from RCA circa mid 1960s.

With the same headphones, you will hear the differences immediately. And at first, even though you 'thought' you just heard the best DAC sound ever, the other makes you think the same thing. And this exercise will go back and forth until the actual differences in what you you hear start becoming apparent and even better, definable.

Oh, then you start throwing different headphones at them. Then the game just starts uploading to levels 2 , 3, 4 , etc. The best DAC in the world via headphone A, sounds like any other DAC/AMP with headphone B, and vice versa.

So while I agree this can be a confusing hobby sometimes, it isn't because of Zeo's hearing impediment :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #135 of 201
I ended up having a listen to a friend's X16 a few days ago. The sound quality out of this DAC hits well above it's price point. I currently own an SMSL M300 MK2 (AKM 4497 DAC chip used). I ended up doing a direct comparison between my M300 MK2 and his X16. It is interesting that the X16 does not have any of the usual SABRE glare in the mid treble present. The unit is very detailed, clean, and airy, but without any of the usual piercing harshness or brightness present. I was surprised, as I expected to hear the usual 7-9kHz brightness that is almost always present in SABRE based units. Comparing the X16 with my M300 MK2, it was obvious that the Gustard is a full step up in sound quality. Bass tightness, vocal accuracy, soundstage, imaging, layering, transparency, detail retrieval, and treble extension were all superior on the X16. This Gustard DAC has a very quick and clean response across the entire frequency range that I did not expect to her at it's price level. It is also extremely neutral in it's sound signature, which I really like. The M300 MK2 is also known for being quite neutral. With having a one hour or so listen to the X16, it sounds like the perfect upgrade from my current DAC. Has anyone here done a direct comparison between the SMSL SU-9 and the X16 ? I have never heard the SU-9. Both of these units are around the same price point, so I am quite interested if anyone has heard both in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back