Gustard U18
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #526 of 1,991
IMHO best bang for the Gustard buck is U18+X26pro and both with good power cords and SR purple fuses. This combo when well burned in sounds simply incredible. C18 is more costly than the X26pro and while it will improve it and the U18, the cost of it renders it not quite the best money spent for its improvement over being without it. Get the best DAC and DDC then the clock when the funds allow. I am so happy with U18+X26pro that I'm in no hurry to drop $1600USD for a C18. Maybe someday. I'd love to borrow one for a spell. Too bad not like PS Audio where you can try it for month and send it back if not happy. :)

Anyways, here's a new review of the X18 + U18

Apr 4, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #527 of 1,991
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #528 of 1,991
I'm assuming the X16 would pair nicely with the U18? I currently have a Benchmark DAC3B but have been looking at newer options (a bit of upgraditis). $1,000 seems cheap for a DDC/DAC combination and I'm trying to determine if it could be worth trying out.
Not exactly what you're looking for but it's close and will probably be worth watching. I haven't watched it yet but it might motivate you to move up to the X18 to use with the U18

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/a-dream-team-gustard-x18-u18-review/

After I posted this I saw someone beat me to it

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #529 of 1,991
Having now watched that video review of the U18 with the X18 it seems clear at least to the reviewer that the X18 is easily worth the extra $250 over the X16. Depending what other components/headphones/speakers and cables you're using, spending more than $750 that the X18 cost might find diminishing returns for your investment. In my case my A22 dac (even before the U18) sounded far better than the Topping D90 (and for that matter the Bel Canto DAC 2.7) that I was using making the extra money well worth it

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #530 of 1,991
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #532 of 1,991
i've had the U18 for several days now, hooked up to a Dave via aes/ebu and damn the U18 is really good.
bass hits like a mule and really sweet highs and vocals. definitely nicer than direct usb into Dave.
will use it at work for another week or so before bringing it home to try against the SU-6.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #533 of 1,991
i've had the U18 for several days now, hooked up to a Dave via aes/ebu and damn the U18 is really good.
bass hits like a mule and really sweet highs and vocals. definitely nicer than direct usb into Dave.
will use it at work for another week or so before bringing it home to try against the SU-6.
SU-6 was a good DDC when it was launched but U18 objectively is ahead of it and it will show in subjective results as well.
looking forward to your view on it.

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #534 of 1,991
SU-6 was a good DDC when it was launched but U18 objectively is ahead of it and it will show in subjective results as well.
looking forward to your view on it.
Interesting, so you've directly compared the two? I've been keeping an eye out for u18 impressions, since I'm trying to figure out how it would stack up against a su6+hypsos+sr purple combo.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #535 of 1,991
Hi

I'm just considering buying u18. I have never used a ddc before. I would like to learn abit more from u18 owners. Would like to ask if anyone has matched the gustard u18 to the topping d90se. Any issues with compatibility or i2s connection? And also is the fuse change to SR purple a very big difference to the sound.

Many thanks

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #536 of 1,991
Interesting, so you've directly compared the two? I've been keeping an eye out for u18 impressions, since I'm trying to figure out how it would stack up against a su6+hypsos+sr purple combo.
I used an SU-6 for about five months prior to purchasing the U18. The latter is an upgrade in all aspects, IMO. For me, the most striking difference between the two is the clarity that the U18 provides. For example... violin strings had a sort of fuzziness to them on the SU-6, but the U18 makes them crisp and clear. Resolution and imaging improved a great deal, which brings an older and more 'laid-back' DAC like mine a little forward and more 'modern' sounding. Don't get me wrong, my upgraded SFD-2 MKII sounded great with the SU-6, but the U18 as its source truly allows it to trade punches with today's high-end DACs without breaking a sweat.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #537 of 1,991
SU-6 uses Crystek clock I suppose ? and U18 uses AS338. Crystek is more analytical sounding clock as compared to AS338 which is more organic and natural sounding. Galvanic Isolation of U18 is better compared to SU-6. Also I don't want SMPS anywhere near my desktop setup, eventhough SU-6 will filter out noise but these SMPS are notorious for polluting the power line for other devices.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #538 of 1,991
——duplicate post

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #539 of 1,991
SU-6 uses Crystek clock I suppose ? and U18 uses AS338. Crystek is more analytical sounding clock as compared to AS338 which is more organic and natural sounding. Galvanic Isolation of U18 is better compared to SU-6. Also I don't want SMPS anywhere near my desktop setup, eventhough SU-6 will filter out noise but these SMPS are notorious for polluting the power line for other devices.
How on earth can you know of a better implementation?

The Gustard’s test results show U18 is much noisier than SU-6. Yet I will be waiting for a proper test by @GoldenOne to buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back