Gustard U18
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #421 of 1,991
For a USB output streamer to match the U18, I can recommend the ultraRendu. It has lower noise performance than the Raspberry Pi or Asus Tinkerboard, both of which I've used, and supports DLNA as well as Roon. I use it in DLNA mode with BubbleUPnP for Android, which is nice streaming control software, and Qobuz. It can also be a Spotify Device.

The whole thing is stable and reliable. I come in from work, turn the power amp on, select music and play. No hiccups, no drama. Just outstanding music.

Mar 19, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #422 of 1,991
Hi, I am new to DDC, started knowing them more on this forum. My DAC doesn't have I2S interface. So is it still worth the money and efforts in U18 for the AES interface. And will AES interface further benefit from adding an external clock to U18? I know I have read some of you guys here also not using I2S and like the . I just wonder if the benefits is worth the cost, including the dealing with additional two devices plus their PS....

Thanks in advance...

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #423 of 1,991
Hi, I am new to DDC, started knowing them more on this forum. My DAC doesn't have I2S interface. So is it still worth the money and efforts in U18 for the AES interface. And will AES interface further benefit from adding an external clock to U18? I know I have read some of you guys here also not using I2S and like the . I just wonder if the benefits is worth the cost, including the dealing with additional two devices plus their PS....

Thanks in advance...
Yes, better clock has positive impact on digital out like SPDIF. Only with SPDIF the clock information is with data so your dac has to recover it but it’s such a rudimentary thing that any good dac will do it without any issue and hence DDC will surely help you. Don’t have any second doubt about it. Also AES is balanced so it helps in removing any kind of ground loop or noise which no other digital output can do. So use AES without any 2nd thought

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #424 of 1,991
Спољни сат би за мене био последњи део слагалице. Ако је Ц18 разочаравајући, постоји ли неко о коме сте чули добре ствари? Такође, с обзиром на моје тренутне поставке за У18/А22, да ли је екстерни сат заиста вредан тога или гледамо на све мањи принос. Сигурно ћу радити надоградњу осигурача. Вероватно надоградња И2с кабла. И можда прећи на Кс26 Про. Користим Цуллен Цроссовер кабл за напајање који ми се чини у реду, али нисам поредио друге. Дакле, постоји и могућност надоградње. Питам се само које су надоградње у овом тренутку најисплативије. Покушавам да ограничим на једну значајну куповину сваког месеца. Такође, ако сам надоградио на Кс26 Про, он има свој улаз за сат. Међутим, претпостављам да бих спојио сат на У18. Има смисла?
The most frequent show here is After Dark ocxo and everyone is happy with it.
About power cords, they are a necessary investment, do not hesitate to spend a little more on them and on the used market, they have a great impact on sound.

Thanks in advance...
I have only tried Supra DAC -AES and HiDiamond Digital References and I can recommend both

I compared the benefits with Idefender-Ifi power Elite and without, there are changes, but they are very nuanced and unprofitable upgrade. I will continue to use them .

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #425 of 1,991
Yes, better clock has positive impact on digital out like SPDIF. Only with SPDIF the clock information is with data so your dac has to recover it but it’s such a rudimentary thing that any good dac will do it without any issue and hence DDC will surely help you. Don’t have any second doubt about it. Also AES is balanced so it helps in removing any kind of ground loop or noise which no other digital output can do. So use AES without any 2nd thought

Good to know. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #426 of 1,991
I have only tried Supra DAC -AES and HiDiamond Digital References and I can recommend both

I compared the benefits with Idefender-Ifi power Elite and without, there are changes, but they are very nuanced and unprofitable upgrade. I will continue to use them .

Thanks for replying, but I am not sure what are you comparing here with regard to my question on the benefit of DCC for AES. Sorry may be because I am new to DDC.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #427 of 1,991
Thanks for replying, but I am not sure what are you comparing here with regard to my question on the benefit of DCC for AES. Sorry may be because I am new to DDC.
Ha Ha, I only recommended those two cables to you
The comparison has nothing to do with you, just my impression of the components I bought because I read somewhere that it contributes to the system I have, and about which I have previously expressed my impressions

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #430 of 1,991
Ok, I’m done with any further changes in my system. The Gustard U18 is a fantastic bit of kit. I’ve found the SR Purple made an incredible difference (as it did in my DAC and power amp) though also Audiolund Signature power cable for my amp and Audiolund Reference power cables for my Musician Aquarius DAC and Gustard U18. The Farad Super3 that powers my AfterDark Emperor Double Crown OCXO clock has a Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme3 Silver/Gold fuse and fake Accuphase power cable. Everything goes through a Musical Paradise MP-T1 balanced isolation transformer. There’s a double shielded Duelund silver clock cable between the Gustard and AfterDark

I also moved from the AVPlay HD300 I2S cable to an Audiolund XTreme I2S cable which I found significantly more natural sounding in my system.

Really the weakest link in my system would be my passively cooled, LPS powered media PC. A Sonore UltraRendu would no doubt give better results but a my wife will not learn how to use the system so I’m limited to a single source and a media PC brings the greatest flexibility. The Eno-Ag filter does make a difference.

Things sound just so full and real sounding it’s incredible. I must agree with others. Wherever used the SR Purple improves sound. It’s not lacking in certain areas like previous SR fuses were. The Orange for example seemed a bit lean in terms of bass.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #431 of 1,991
Interesting. I'm just beginning to perceive a preference for the Blue Jeans FE over the AVplay HD-300 cable. It's calmer while still carrying tremendous detail.

I'll listen some more to both before delivering a verdict.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #433 of 1,991
Due to cost I'll probably buy one purple fuse a month for the next few months. Would you guys first put one in the U18 or the A22 dac if you had to choose? I'm going to check and see if they offer one for my ATC P1 Pro power amp and Violectric V281 headphone amp also

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #434 of 1,991
Is this the fuse and I hope we need 1 for this DDC for 220v?
0683681B-CEAD-434C-8E36-EBA0E88FED2D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back