Gustard U18
Mar 17, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #407 of 1,992
I just plugged in, Isotek Initium-Ifi Ipower Elite-Idefender 3.0.
I don't hear any improvement, maybe it's too early ...
Well Gustard U18 already has good system in place to isolate noise from USB and avoid ground loops, I’m not sure what extra Ifi idefender will bring in.

I mean, I’m all in for maximizing the output of device by upgrading power cable, fuse and what not but the whole purpose of DDC is to break ground loop, clear noise and reclock to remove jitter produced by isolator, so introducing another device for breaking ground loop etc is just like a futile activity.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #408 of 1,992
Well Gustard U18 already has good system in place to isolate noise from USB and avoid ground loops, I’m not sure what extra Ifi idefender will bring in.

I mean, I’m all in for maximizing the output of device by upgrading power cable, fuse and what not but the whole purpose of DDC is to break ground loop, clear noise and reclock to remove jitter produced by isolator, so introducing another device for breaking ground loop etc is just like a futile activity.
The second hour of listening - there is a change, it is too early to judge, but it seems to me that it adds shine and airiness and an additional level of clarity in the details.
For the sound of the level as it was before the addition of the IFI, even a small shift is welcome and commendable
I'm not sure, maybe I imagined ... I'll see in the future

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #409 of 1,992
The second hour of listening - there is a change, it is too early to judge, but it seems to me that it adds shine and airiness and an additional level of clarity in the details.
For the sound of the level as it was before the addition of the IFI, even a small shift is welcome and commendable
I'm not sure, maybe I imagined ... I'll see in the future
So many variables make it hard to determine cause and effect of the changes we make. For instance I do most of my critical listening after midnight. I'm a night owl anyway. For years I thought maybe it was my imagination that my system sounded it's best way after midnight. Then a high-end audio dealer told me the demand on the power grid is far less at that time and the incoming electricity is much cleaner.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #410 of 1,992
So many variables make it hard to determine cause and effect of the changes we make. For instance I do most of my critical listening after midnight. I'm a night owl anyway. For years I thought maybe it was my imagination that my system sounded it's best way after midnight. Then a high-end audio dealer told me the demand on the power grid is far less at that time and the incoming electricity is much cleaner.
Yes, that was my dilemma a long time ago, and I came to the same conclusion. As for Elite power, it definitely raises the level of cleanliness, making the fun even more fascinating.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #411 of 1,992
Yes, that was my dilemma a long time ago, and I came to the same conclusion. As for Elite power, it definitely raises the level of cleanliness, making the fun even more fascinating.
Yep, some of us are the fortunate ones that can stay up real late, in my case after working several decades of starting at 7 or 8 in the morning, 6 and 7 days a week. The way I look at it now if I can listen when the power grid is less stressed, and use power conditioning and real good cables, that's about as good as it gets. That and a Gustard U18, so far I'm loving this thing

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #413 of 1,992
Hi I am new to this site as a member. But I have been following this thread for some time now. After reading favourable comments about Gustard U18, I decided to buy one. Also got Gustard I2s cable from Shenzhen audio. I think both U18 and the I2s cable are fantastic products and improvements can be observed right away.
My system Roon Nucleus, SOTM streamer, U18 and HQPlayer on Mac mini. Waiting for U18 and I2s cable to complete about 200/250 hours to reach its optimum performance.
Will be looking forward to add Purple fuses in future, which have been recommended by many on this thread.

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #414 of 1,992
Hi I am new to this site as a member. But I have been following this thread for some time now. After reading favourable comments about Gustard U18, I decided to buy one. Also got Gustard I2s cable from Shenzhen audio. I think both U18 and the I2s cable are fantastic products and improvements can be observed right away.
My system Roon Nucleus, SOTM streamer, U18 and HQPlayer on Mac mini. Waiting for U18 and I2s cable to complete about 200/250 hours to reach its optimum performance.
Will be looking forward to add Purple fuses in future, which have been recommended by many on this thread.
Looking forward to your thoughts with before and after purple fuses.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #417 of 1,992
I got my U18 and X26pro from Aoshida-HiFi-US through Amazon. I ordered the X26Pro on a Sunday evening and got it 4 days later. The U18 took 13 days FedEx shipping from China at no cost. And Aoshida has great customer service with follow up emails to make sure their customers are happy. I replied there was no user manual for X26pro and they emailed me the PDF for it the same day. Between quick shipping, excellent customer service and purchase follow up, I can't recommend them enough
I got my U18 and X26pro from Aoshida-HiFi-US through Amazon. I ordered the X26Pro on a Sunday evening and got it 4 days later. The U18 took 13 days FedEx shipping from China at no cost. And Aoshida has great customer service with follow up emails to make sure their customers are happy. I replied there was no user manual for X26pro and they emailed me the PDF for it the same day. Between quick shipping, excellent customer service and purchase follow up, I can't recommend them enough

Thanks for the recommendation...much appreciated

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #418 of 1,992
The C18 is extremely unpopular, neither review nor user experience on the network
An external clock would be the last piece of the puzzle for me. If the C18 is disappointing is there one you have heard good things about? Also considering my U18/A22 current setup, is an external clock really worth it or are we looking at diminishing returns. I will certainly be doing fuse upgrades. Likely an I2s cable upgrade. And possibly move up to the X26 Pro. I use a Cullen Crossover power cable which seems fine to me but I haven't compared others. So upgrading there is also a possibility. Just wondering which upgrades are most cost-effective at this point. I'm kind of trying to limit to one significant purchase each month. Also if I did upgrade to the X26 Pro it has its own clock input. I assume however I would hook up the clock to the U18. Make sense?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #419 of 1,992
After comparing the U18 on the Auralic Aries G1 and old Aries Femto, the G1 is still superior. The U18 is an awesome piece of gear, but a great source is still a great source. (Full disclosure- I sold the G1 to free up funds, but am hoping my ears stop missing it)

To the folks who recommended a RPi or similar, not my bag personally - I hate the software available and don’t want to run Roon.

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #420 of 1,992
After comparing the U18 on the Auralic Aries G1 and old Aries Femto, the G1 is still superior. The U18 is an awesome piece of gear, but a great source is still a great source. (Full disclosure- I sold the G1 to free up funds, but am hoping my ears stop missing it)

To the folks who recommended a RPi or similar, not my bag personally - I hate the software available and don’t want to run Roon.
Yes, pi requires some fiddling with software and little experiment with software for user’s specific need. For Roon, Spotify connect, UPnP, Airplay - RopieeXL is good place to start with. In case you are worried about noise etc then you can power off lot of functionalities of Pi and power it with LPS for a silent source but ya it will need some trial and error and internet search if you are doing for first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back