Gustard U18
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #31 of 1,991
Fred is correct. For 10M audio it is all about the oscillator's phase noise especially at 1Hz and 10Hz. Atomic clocks are great at frequency stability but an OCXO can have better phase noise

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #32 of 1,991
I'm really interested in comparison between DI-20HE and this Gustard U18. I need just an usb Input as I'll be using it with my macbook for the start and maybe Digione player in future.
If these two come close U18 is a cheaper option for my desktop setup with utopias. Can someone shine some light regards "external XO" ? what are these and can this impact SQ in a noticeable way ?

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #33 of 1,991
I'm really interested in comparison between DI-20HE and this Gustard U18
You will get my view on it in a couple of weeks when my U18 has got its "full" burn in period. (I wrote in "" because 2 weeks is when it has stabilized but it will most likely continue to better up a bit even after these 2 weeks

Please keep questions back to this threads subject, Gustard U18.

Enough light about External XO's has been discussed here. You can pick the importance in earlier posts here in this thread. There is a lot to find on the Internet to read, if You want to go deeper. There may also be threads here on the Head-fi forum to find good info in.
/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #34 of 1,991
Today 8 days. (192hrs)
It has been a journey with ups and downs and right now mid and high is in good balance. Bass is a little recessed for the moment when playing "standard" mixed recordings. imaging and separation also have sort of a set back right now. Has been better and will be again, I am sure. Well, we are only 8 days into the burn in period.

Anyway this DDC is well worth its money, that's a fact. Function is still rock solid on any formats and the sound is very good on both internal XO's and it benefits very well on the external XO. That said is that the PLL electronics in the K2 module works really good.

There is a lot to like with this little box. First, a very good value for the money. Smart fading display. Very stable. As said rock solid functions. I haven't had any glitch of any sort so far using linux player (piCorePlayer sw ver. 8.0 (on output setting= iec958:CARD=G20,DEV=0) for the XMOS chip.
The box is solid and pretty heavy in itself like also the U16 was. It will stay where You put it. You can push the buttons without any movement. Good. It has no "bling" it just does its job like a much more expensive pro-gear.

-If it can compete with the DI20HE from Audio-gd...? I still can't say. Lets give us one more week
/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #38 of 1,991
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #39 of 1,991
Today 8 days. (192hrs)
It has been a journey with ups and downs and right now mid and high is in good balance. Bass is a little recessed for the moment when playing "standard" mixed recordings. imaging and separation also have sort of a set back right now. Has been better and will be again, I am sure. Well, we are only 8 days into the burn in period.

Anyway this DDC is well worth its money, that's a fact. Function is still rock solid on any formats and the sound is very good on both internal XO's and it benefits very well on the external XO. That said is that the PLL electronics in the K2 module works really good.

There is a lot to like with this little box. First, a very good value for the money. Smart fading display. Very stable. As said rock solid functions. I haven't had any glitch of any sort so far using linux player (piCorePlayer sw ver. 8.0 (on output setting= iec958:CARD=G20,DEV=0) for the XMOS chip.
The box is solid and pretty heavy in itself like also the U16 was. It will stay where You put it. You can push the buttons without any movement. Good. It has no "bling" it just does its job like a much more expensive pro-gear.

-If it can compete with the DI20HE from Audio-gd...? I still can't say. Lets give us one more week
/Jan
Have you tried using it connected to a windows machine or just linux? Hoping there won't be audio glitches like with U16 when it was releaed.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #41 of 1,991
@JaMo Any chance of one last (almost final) impression before the Aliexpress sale ends tomorrow? Had been eyeing the DI20HE, but the price has made me kick the bucket, so if this is in the same ballpark that would be fabulous.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #42 of 1,991
@JaMo Any chance of one last (almost final) impression before the Aliexpress sale ends tomorrow? Had been eyeing the DI20HE, but the price has made me kick the bucket, so if this is in the same ballpark that would be fabulous.
Yes, I understand. The U18 does a great job, significantly higher than the U16. It has all the good things in terms of air, micro defined details with separation. My box has stabilized the bass now and the overall balance is good. But It is not really up on the level of the DI20HE (fully burned in and tuned by excellent firmwares and continuing evolution of them..).
The U18 is very good on what it does and acts as Pro gear. The DI20HE is a re-clocker for both USB- and SPDIF signals in. The DI20HE also benefit its regenerated power supply and the background is dead black.
I have the U18 behind a -70dB filter on the powerline and it is also very is silent, but not really in the same league as the DI20HE.
Don't get scared by the verdict so far.

Go for the DI20HE If You have a plan to upgrade towards high end, and have the funds and the volume/space for it and maybe the need for SPDIF reclocking. The DI20HE is a step up in size, performance and money.
The U18 comes close but not all the way. That said..The U18 is a very competent DDC and an excellent piece of gear for the price. I definitely recommend the U18. It is crazy good for the money asked.

This is what I can say at this state in the burn in period
/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #43 of 1,991
@JaMo That's very helpful, thank you for this and your impressions along the way! Think I might just go for it. With all the rebates/coupons/ali coins one of the sellers has it down to USD 436. Would love to get the DI20HE, but haven't acclimatized to paying USD 1k for a DDC yet (does not surprise me if that day comes, this is already twice the price of my previous DDC : )

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #44 of 1,991
@JaMo That's very helpful, thank you for this and your impressions along the way! Think I might just go for it. With all the rebates/coupons/ali coins one of the sellers has it down to USD 436. Would love to get the DI20HE, but haven't acclimatized to paying USD 1k for a DDC yet (does not surprise me if that day comes, this is already twice the price of my previous DDC : )
I do the same. I think most people make incremental upgrades. Good deal to buy one now with the discount. Was able to get one down to $415 using various discounts and credit card cash back rebate. Pretty inexpensive upgrade once I sell the U16. I also bought an upgraded I2S cable.

Thanks Jan for giving some confidence that it's a good product.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #45 of 1,991
Yes, looks the x26 pro uses the same K2 clock synthesizer. Connect a 10Mhz clock and the K2 circuit generates 45/49 clocks. Much debate why it sounds as good as it does.

Is the x26 pro 10M only? I did not see XOs in the description.
Oh so you mean that instead of the 45/49 as318b clock connect 10m clock and let it generate 45/49 sounded better than using the internal of the 45/49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back