Gustard U18
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #316 of 1,996
Exchange the unit with new one and check or try laptop directly with U18
Hi, I'm not very knowledgeable, but I was using a Musica Pristina streamer with Holo May DAC and was getting random pops and clicks. I had to increase the Audio Buffer setting in the Device Configuration page. Maybe you have a similar problem? Just trying to come up with some ideas. I hope you resolve your issue.

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #317 of 1,996
Hi, I'm not very knowledgeable, but I was using a Musica Pristina streamer with Holo May DAC and was getting random pops and clicks. I had to increase the Audio Buffer setting in the Device Configuration page. Maybe you have a similar problem? Just trying to come up with some ideas. I hope you resolve your issue.
Pops and clicks are mostly drop in packets via USB and hence buffer size helps

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #318 of 1,996
Are you speaking about A Cappella III with I2s output to Holo May? wich I2s Pinout is in use
?

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #319 of 1,996
Are you speaking about A Cappella III with I2s output to Holo May? wich I2s Pinout is in use
?
Yes, the A Cappella III streamer....I didn't touch the i2s pinouts on the holo may....I guess it's the PS Audio one...I did have problems at first with pops/clicks but those were resolved by the Musica Pristina owner who was great to work with.

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #320 of 1,996
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I did try various buffer settings in HQPlayer but with no success. Can you clarify what configuration page you are referring to?

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #321 of 1,996
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I did try various buffer settings in HQPlayer but with no success. Can you clarify what configuration page you are referring you're still ha

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I did try various buffer settings in HQPlayer but with no success. Can you clarify what configuration page you are referring to?
It's too bad you're still having issues...I'm using the A Cappella III streamer...I was referring to its configuration page....I thought maybe the pops and clicks you're experiencing might have to do with buffering...

Mar 9, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #322 of 1,996
Well I have joined the club and will get it by this weekend.
Will use AES out to my Sonnet Morpheus and COAX to Schiit Bifrost2.
Have Pi2AES and Digione Signature to compare with.
Too bad it doesn't have buffered I2S for Sonnet DAC like Singxer SU6 or Denafrips but specs look good and hence AES should do it for me.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #323 of 1,996
I want to try the U18 someday with my X26 Pro that I have had no problems with. Currently using Supra Excalibur USB from Windows 10 pc to X26 Pro.

What's a good iis cable and which mode would I use with it?

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #324 of 1,996
I received my U18 yesterday and it sounds every bit as good as the one I loaned, which is amazing considering it has had no burn-in yet.

I discovered something interesting when configuring it for I2S into my Gustard X26 Pro. The DAC uses the clock coming via I2S and ignores its external clock. I tested this by pulling the clock cable and the music kept playing. I also switched between Int/Ext clock and heard no difference. This is great news as I could then move my best clock (AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown) to the U18 and my next best clock (AfterDark King) to the EtherREGEN. All in all, everything sounds wonderful and I need to give the U18 and my Blue Jeans FE cable some time to fully burn in.

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #325 of 1,996
I received my U18 yesterday and it sounds every bit as good as the one I loaned, which is amazing considering it has had no burn-in yet.

I discovered something interesting when configuring it for I2S into my Gustard X26 Pro. The DAC uses the clock coming via I2S and ignores its external clock. I tested this by pulling the clock cable and the music kept playing. I also switched between Int/Ext clock and heard no difference. This is great news as I could then move my best clock (AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown) to the U18 and my next best clock (AfterDark King) to the EtherREGEN. All in all, everything sounds wonderful and I need to give the U18 and my Blue Jeans FE cable some time to fully burn in.
Is this the same cable?

https://www.amazon.com/Bonded-Pair-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet-Black/dp/B0026NX3Z8

What kind of difference could I expect with standard clocks adding the U18 to my X26 Pro?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #326 of 1,996
Mar 11, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #328 of 1,996
Got delivery a day in advance. Hopefully will get time to have a listen. How long do they take to stabalize? Also do we need to keep it ON all the time like those OCXO clocks?
3086384D-250D-47BC-880A-94221C095999.jpeg

Attachments

• 6C377684-7E41-41B5-B332-008885BCE1E1.jpeg
    6C377684-7E41-41B5-B332-008885BCE1E1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #329 of 1,996
Considering the price is fairly low are these on par with the usual suspects, Kimber, Audioquest, etc?

With digital cables that are difficult to meet full specifications, you cannot apply standard price scales. The Blue Jeans FE uses Belden YR52550 which is a very high performance cable. To my ears, it sounds excellent. However, I will receive an AVplay I2S cable, which is popular here, shortly and will report back on my comparative findings.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #330 of 1,996
I plugged it in and it was working fine but I noticed my wife used a hand blender in the nearby socket in the same room and it triggered a restart. Is it issue with my Unit or gustard in general. Not a big issue for me as this won't be common occurence. I remember reading something similar in U16 thread where a better capacitor resolved the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back