Gustard U18
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #301 of 1,996
I'm running an ultraRendu (with latest SonicOrbiter 2.8 and updates) and I didn't notice any tick while testing out my friend's U18. Admittedly, this was only for 5 hours or so.

What streaming protocol are you running? I'm using DLNA with BubbleUPnP and Qobuz.

I'll soon have my own U18 to corroborate this.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #302 of 1,996
I'm running an ultraRendu (with latest SonicOrbiter 2.8 and updates) and I didn't notice any tick while testing out my friend's U18. Admittedly, this was only for 5 hours or so.

What streaming protocol are you running? I'm using DLNA with BubbleUPnP and Qobuz.

I'll soon have my own U18 to corroborate this.
I'm using HQPlayer through Roon and Qobuz as well as locally stored AIFF files. It did just occur to me that Roon pushed an update that effected HQPlayer. I've been trying different versions of HQPlayer with no success regarding eliminating the ticks. You got me thinking that I should try straight Roon or the HQPlayer Client to see if either solftware may be the issue.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #303 of 1,996
I'm using HQPlayer through Roon and Qobuz as well as locally stored AIFF files. It did just occur to me that Roon pushed an update that effected HQPlayer. I've been trying different versions of HQPlayer with no success regarding eliminating the ticks. You got me thinking that I should try straight Roon or the HQPlayer Client to see if either solftware may be the issue.
Try to play without upsampling and see if it works. May be the filter that you are using is pushing CPU to limit. I have heard pop with USB due to drop in data packets not sure about tick.

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #304 of 1,996
Ordered the U18 today and received the SR Purple fuse in advance.

Welcome. Insert purple in U18
Did you test the fuse in both directions? Any recommendation for its orientation?

Mar 5, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #306 of 1,996
I've had my U18 playing for 24 hours and it sounds very good so far. My DAC is the Denafrips Pontus II and I have a MicroRendu as a network bridge. I do have an annoying issue with a very faint single tick only noticeable on quiet tracks or passages. The ticks occur randomly since inserting the U18. I've tried just about every possible configuration setting on both DAC and DDC. I can play an entire track and not hear this tick but then on the next passage, I can notice the tick two to three times on the track. This tick is so faint that on louder tracks it is not even audible.

I've tried plugging the SU18 directly into my dedicated audio circuit as well as into a power conditioner. My next step would be to try removing the mR but that requires me to tear apart my rack again which I really don't want to do. Has anyone else experienced this anomaly? Maybe more run in will eliminate the issue but I'm not confident that it will. I do have a new HDMI cable on the way.

Any feedback would be appreciate
I've had my U18 playing for 24 hours and it sounds very good so far. My DAC is the Denafrips Pontus II and I have a MicroRendu as a network bridge. I do have an annoying issue with a very faint single tick only noticeable on quiet tracks or passages. The ticks occur randomly since inserting the U18. I've tried just about every possible configuration setting on both DAC and DDC. I can play an entire track and not hear this tick but then on the next passage, I can notice the tick two to three times on the track. This tick is so faint that on louder tracks it is not even audible.

I've tried plugging the SU18 directly into my dedicated audio circuit as well as into a power conditioner. My next step would be to try removing the mR but that requires me to tear apart my rack again which I really don't want to do. Has anyone else experienced this anomaly? Maybe more run in will eliminate the issue but I'm not confident that it will. I do have a new HDMI cable on the way.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
After another 15 hours the ticks are still present. I've eliminated both Roon and HQPlayer as the culprits as I've listened to both players by themselves and the ticks still persists. I've tried listening to both DSD and PCM as well as different sampling rates. I've tried different HDMI cables as well. I've got an email into Gustard and the dealer. If anyone is using a Denafrips DAC with the SU6, or has an idea as to what may be causing my issue, please let me know. I love the sound of this DDC but can't live with this annoyance.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #307 of 1,996
After another 15 hours the ticks are still present. I've eliminated both Roon and HQPlayer as the culprits as I've listened to both players by themselves and the ticks still persists. I've tried listening to both DSD and PCM as well as different sampling rates. I've tried different HDMI cables as well. I've got an email into Gustard and the dealer. If anyone is using a Denafrips DAC with the SU6, or has an idea as to what may be causing my issue, please let me know. I love the sound of this DDC but can't live with this annoyance.
Exchange the unit with new one and check or try laptop directly with U18

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #309 of 1,996
Is the benefit of the U18/ C18 audible if I mainly listen to Tidal and some mp3?
You'd be wasting your time listening to mp3 with that setup.

Between Tidal and Qobuz, go for Qobuz if you want to hear real hi-res and what it can do. Sounds superb on my system. You will definitely hear the effect of an external clock.

Mar 7, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #311 of 1,996
Hi, is anyone using their Gustard U18 with a Holo Audio May DAC and can t3ll us their impressions? Thanks!
Ony a test with the May of friend, and sounds great, soundstage 3D positioning of instruments, deep and wide. Gustard HDMI I2s cable and Hi Fi Tuning supreme 3 fuse.

This surprise me because the USB interfece of Holo May (Titan on KTE version) is weel know as "state of the art" of this kind of interfece, but with the Gustard U18 you have an addistional step in terms of sound quality.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #312 of 1,996
Ony a test with the May of friend, and sounds great, soundstage 3D positioning of instruments, deep and wide. Gustard HDMI I2s cable and Hi Fi Tuning supreme 3 fuse.

This surprise me because the USB interfece of Holo May (Titan on KTE version) is week know as "state of the art" of this kind of interfece, but with the Gustard U18 you have and addistional step in terms of sound quality.
This is expected. Any claims of the May being impervious to the chain before it is a misnomer and overly hyped.

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #313 of 1,996

This surprise me because the USB interfece of Holo May (Titan on KTE version) is weel know as "state of the art" of this kind of interfece, but with the Gustard U18 you have an addistional step in terms of sound quality.
Hi Mantraone, Thanks very much for your response. Would you know what i2s setting on the Gustard your friend is using? From the manual it looks like it should be setting #4, but I'd like to confirm. Thanks again!

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #314 of 1,996
Hi Mantraone, Thanks very much for your response. Would you know what i2s setting on the Gustard your friend is using? From the manual it looks like it should be setting #4, but I'd like to confirm. Thanks again!
I confirm setting of Gustard U18 is the #4 as Holo I2s Pinout and works fine also the DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back