Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Nov 11, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #1,669 of 1,697
Nobody buys from ali. Buy direct from audio-gd

http://www.audio-gd.com/En audio-gd.htm
I wouldn't buy a DAC/DDC/Amp from Ali, it's just to show an indicative price. The link you sent me is a from a site so messed up I would not buy anything of value, sorry. Especially the Underwood Hi-Fi one (US) is a disgrace...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #1,670 of 1,697
Your money. The product sounds great. You don't pay for translation or fancy website or marketing. And customer service is top notch (audio-gd's) though not in the best English. Kingwa is always very helpful.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,671 of 1,697
Your money. The product sounds great. You don't pay for translation or fancy website or marketing. And customer service is top notch (audio-gd's) though not in the best English. Kingwa is always very helpful.
I don't doubt that it might be a good sounding product (when and if it works). However, with a product comes a reliable company who builds it, and retailers who value their customers. Crappy looking commercial websites that are potentially unsafe and prone to cause order "mishaps" belong to retailers who do not care much - if at all - about their customers. A commercial website has to be perfect in terms of data integrity, provide clear and reliable product information, and have an acceptable minimum of usability; it has nothing to do with "fancy", these are critical parameters. So, after browsing the manufacturer's website and the US official retailer, I'd pass big time on Audio-gd.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #1,672 of 1,697
I don't doubt that it might be a good sounding product (when and if it works). However, with a product comes a reliable company who builds it, and retailers who value their customers. Crappy looking commercial websites that are potentially unsafe and prone to cause order "mishaps" belong to retailers who do not care much - if at all - about their customers. A commercial website has to be perfect in terms of data integrity, provide clear and reliable product information, and have an acceptable minimum of usability; it has nothing to do with "fancy", these are critical parameters. So, after browsing the manufacturer's website and the US official retailer, I'd pass big time on Audio-gd.
To order, you ask for a quote by email. You pay with paypal. So your data is safe AFAIC. Safer than with ali i would argue. I am not trying to convince you. Go for the u18, it's a very good choice if i rely on a friend of mine and on the u18 thread.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #1,673 of 1,697
To order, you ask for a quote by email. You pay with paypal. So your data is safe AFAIC. Safer than with ali i would argue. I am not trying to convince you. Go for the u18, it's a very good choice if i rely on a friend of mine and on the u18 thread.
Paypal holds financial data, the retailer holds the rest and I wouldn't trust such a retailer to hold any personal data of mine.
I'll keep checking the U18 thread, it looks like a good product on paper, but I'm not conviced yet on its reliability given the company's history, maybe there'll be a resolution/determination on these potential issues. Otherwise, no problem, the competition is fierce.
Many thanks for your time, replies and consideration.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,674 of 1,697
Paypal holds financial data, the retailer holds the rest and I wouldn't trust such a retailer to hold any personal data of mine.
I'll keep checking the U18 thread, it looks like a good product on paper, but I'm not conviced yet on its reliability given the company's history, maybe there'll be a resolution/determination on these potential issues. Otherwise, no problem, the competition is fierce.
Many thanks for your time, replies and consideration.
Good point. Paypal policies are disgusting, including the ridiculous fees. I use it very rarely now and will eventually get rid of it.

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,676 of 1,697
So, after a few years on the market and 111 pages on Head-Fi, what's the verdict for U16 in regard to pops/clicks/interruptions on the audio signal? How often, under what circumstances and for which ports, and what's the cause? Yes, I know, U18 has replaced it, but if this is not resolved with U16, U18 is not to be trusted, especially since it's costing almost double.
The problem is with the ESS interface chip, U16 is garbage that cannot be fixed , because you can’t change the ESS chip. They released U18 to replace U16, using a XMOS interface chip. That’s their ‘fix’ to U16. Sad for the U16 user, but there’s nothing they can do about U16.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,677 of 1,697
The problem is with the ESS interface chip, U16 is garbage that cannot be fixed , because you can’t change the ESS chip. They released U18 to replace U16, using a XMOS interface chip. That’s their ‘fix’ to U16. Sad for the U16 user, but there’s nothing they can do about U16.
Yeah, its pretty bad but I still use it with its annoying quirks and the performance is great when its working well. Still some dropouts here and there but still pushing.

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #1,678 of 1,697
So, the question becomes, is the U18 free of these defects?

Nov 14, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #1,679 of 1,697
So, the question becomes, is the U18 free of these defects?
Should be, I personally haven't heard any issue being reported yet. If I don't have su-2, I probably would give it a try. The old x26 had the same ESS USB interface chip, it's replaced too. XMOS is pretty stable.

Nov 14, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,680 of 1,697
Should be, I personally haven't heard any issue being reported yet. If I don't have su-2, I probably would give it a try. The old x26 had the same ESS USB interface chip, it's replaced too. XMOS is pretty stable.
In the U18 thread there are some references to similar issues. The cause of instability could very well be beyond or irrelevant to XMOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back