Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
May 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,606 of 1,697
Someone wrote in the thread that the best firmware would be 1.41, but I can't find it - does someone have it?

May 8, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,608 of 1,697
Someone wrote in the thread that the best firmware would be 1.41, but I can't find it - does someone have it?
The U16 is very prone to crashes, especially it does not like changes in resolution or type of music file (going from a PCM file to a DSD file), Gustard had to put an automatic reset system to avoid these crashes, there is a firmware 1.72 In addition to eliminating the internal bridge to multiply by 2 the frequency of the clocks, these two things I have not done yet to see if the problem improves, what I currently do is make playlists of a single type of resolution, although not believe this eliminates the possibility of crashes for sure.

May 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,609 of 1,697
May 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,610 of 1,697
May 11, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,611 of 1,697
To those who still keep their Gustard U16 and did not get rid of it, and are no longer in the warranty period, try to remove the bridge to double the frequency of the clocks, I have gained a lot in stability, I still have the 1.61NFB firmware, it is easy, fast and simple, if it does not improve, put it back. I keep it with me even for its sound, not for its reliability and accuracy which are its weak point.

Attachments

• 20210321_110247 (1).jpg
    20210321_110247 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
May 13, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #1,612 of 1,697
Here's what I got for myself: Stanford Research PRS10 Rubidium clock
<-130 (10Hz), <-140 (100Hz), <-150 (1kHz)
bT8Q7yA.png
Hello
First of all, I'm late sending this message, I know, but I've just read your post.

From the phase noise you mentioned, this master clock seems a very good option as I believe it can be found for about 500 U$S.

Some questions:

- Is it a plug and play clock or does it need an aditional product to function? I mean, LPS, connections, adapters, case, etc.

- I believe it has 10 Mhz outputs, how many? 50 or 75 ohms?

- Have you test it against any other good master clock?

- Would you recomend it?

Thank you!

May 15, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,613 of 1,697
Hi guys. I want to share my experience with U16. Like most of us I encountered several firmware issues but now I'm quite satisfied with sound and stability using 1.61NFB. The only issue is sometimes when playing playlists with different sample rates, especially when jumping between pcm and dsd. Bu I can live with it!
Moreover I'm currently using the BG7BTL external clock with satisfaction (in my opinion black, dynamics and top/bottom range has improved).
Here's my setup:
Core i7 Acer laptop running Euphony Stylus player > Qed new reference usb cable > U16 (with BG7BTL 50 ohm clock + 50 ohm bnc HangTon cable > iis hdmi custom made pure silver cable > Topping D90 Mqa > Qed reference xlr cable > Yamaha A-S2100 > Focal 30th Anniversary floorstanding speakers coupled with Rel T5i sub.

May 15, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,614 of 1,697
I have been observing the sporadic blockages of the U16 for some time, one thing that suffers is an inefficient system to eliminate interference and noise from the AC source, you can see, a lighting switch that is activated, or a motor of an electrical appliance etc, it may be enough for a crash, I am implementing in my unit an internal enhancement of the AC input with better filters and some more details, when the implementation is done I will give the results here. This sounds good for what it's worth, I'm going to give it a try even before looking for something more expensive.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #1,617 of 1,697
Many many Thanks or your help .... may i know if ver 1.72 can support on windows 7 pro (sadly i'm still using on my notebook)? is 1.72 a beta firmware ? Just got a used U16 for cheap that i have in mind to hook up a prelove preamp DAC i have been eyeing ...

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #1,618 of 1,697
Many many Thanks or your help .... may i know if ver 1.72 can support on windows 7 pro (sadly i'm still using on my notebook)? is 1.72 a beta firmware ? Just got a used U16 for cheap that i have in mind to hook up a prelove preamp DAC i have been eyeing ...
The important thing is that you can install different versions of firmware as many times as you want, I recommend that you try for yourself the one that works best for your operating system and dac, what some users works well for others may not.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,619 of 1,697
The important thing is that you can install different versions of firmware as many times as you want, I recommend that you try for yourself the one that works best for your operating system and dac, what some users works well for others may not.
That's so true about testing. Good thing I didn't spent a lot on it, with main purpose to connect via usb output from my notebook to coaxial input on my DAC preamp

A quick check - the output option on U16 include Bnc spdif.
So I have to look specifically for spdif cable with Bnc connector on one end to coaxial connector on the other, right?
Any setting on U16 with this setup?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, cause I only connect via USB all this while, never own spdif cable or connect via spdif before. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back