Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Sep 24, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,351 of 1,697
Hello guys,
I think I asked this question before, but I cannot find it.

I recetntly bought the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo and, eventhough it sounds very good, I'm having more issues with the U16 than I've had with the Notebook connected directly to the U16.

Does anyone of you have the SMS-200 (Ultra or not) working relatively fine with the U16? I would like to ask you some questions about wich setting options you recomend.

Thank you.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,354 of 1,697
The only version I can use is 1.4 PSA Audio.

1.77 and two 1.61 give me trouble swaping channels, presenting a weird and changing soundstage, etc.

But 1.4 PSA Audio only works with 44.1 kHz 16 bit songs and it gives me some trouble when I want to change from one track to another. I will make some more test with different configurations to see if I can make it work better, but I'm kind of tired of the U16. If I can't make it work better, I think I may sell it and buy another one of the SIngxers.

I listen to all of my music streaming Tidal with Audinirvana Plus on Windows 10 and Im feeding the U16 with a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra bridge.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,355 of 1,697
Either the ESS chip is not capable of consistent performance in this mode of operation (hi-rez PCM/ DSD) or firmware is seriously lacking optimization for all users (different sources and DACs). Since several U16 firmware releases didn’t address my issues I am thinking it is just not capable of consistent operation with my equipment unlike Amanero and the Singxers.

But the U16 sounds good though and its price is right. Does the U16 work 100% with a Gustard DAC?

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #1,356 of 1,697
I've just tried the 1.61 NFB firmware version again and changing the output from the U16. Well, same result, channels swaped.

This weekend I will try the U16 with different settings options on Audinirvana and on the SOtM SMS-200.

I will also compare the sound of U16 against the SOtM SMS-200 plus the W4S RUR running directly into the Amanero USB input of the R8, to see if its worthwile keeping it.

Sep 26, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,358 of 1,697
Either the ESS chip is not capable of consistent performance in this mode of operation (hi-rez PCM/ DSD) or firmware is seriously lacking optimization for all users (different sources and DACs). Since several U16 firmware releases didn’t address my issues I am thinking it is just not capable of consistent operation with my equipment unlike Amanero and the Singxers.

But the U16 sounds good though and its price is right. Does the U16 work 100% with a Gustard DAC?

I am using U16 with a Gustard X20. I have no issues playing wave files ripped from CDs, either no upsampling or upsampling to DSD128 in foobar200. Upsampling to DSD256 also works smoothly most of the time.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,359 of 1,697
I've just tried the 1.61 NFB firmware version again and changing the output from the U16. Well, same result, channels swaped.

This weekend I will try the U16 with different settings options on Audinirvana and on the SOtM SMS-200.

I will also compare the sound of U16 against the SOtM SMS-200 plus the W4S RUR running directly into the Amanero USB input of the R8, to see if its worthwile keeping it.

It would be interesting if you try direct from your WIN10 computer to the U16 to see if the problem is Linux related.
I am using U16 to Audio-GD NOS7, PCM only, Windows server 2019, seems pretty stable all rates with maybe an very occasional disconnect when changing rates but that may not be related to U16 as I have not identified the cause. I am thinking U16/R8 would be a fantastic PCM combo when working correctly, even better with 10M clock...
I compared isolated Amanero to U16 (i2s) on a R1, Used W4S Recovery on both, Amanero kind of ss sound very very close to 5V modded SU-1, the U16 more tubelike.. I preferred the U16 even though I had some trouble with sample rates (needed to upsample everything to 384k iirc...) but I am sure some would prefer the Amanero presentation.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #1,360 of 1,697
I am using U16 with a Gustard X20. I have no issues playing wave files ripped from CDs, either no upsampling or upsampling to DSD128 in foobar200. Upsampling to DSD256 also works smoothly most of the time.
Hi, is your Gustard ES9028PRO x 2 ?
How do you find the dynamics, like piano/snare/etc. attack?
I am trying a new DAC (not Gustard or Audio-GD) but so far this thing has nothing in dynamic attack that gets close to what I am familiar with.
I am going to try a U16 i2s into this thing to see if that helps...

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #1,361 of 1,697
As much as i like how the u16 sounds, i hate having to reboot my usbridge every two hours because playback will stall. Kingwa, (Audio-gd) should come up with a new DI soon. Looking forward to this. Should be better than the u16, both with stability and sound quality, plus there will be a version with a regenerative psu. Guess which version i'll get... :)

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,362 of 1,697
Hi, is your Gustard ES9028PRO x 2 ?
How do you find the dynamics, like piano/snare/etc. attack?
I am trying a new DAC (not Gustard or Audio-GD) but so far this thing has nothing in dynamic attack that gets close to what I am familiar with.
I am going to try a U16 i2s into this thing to see if that helps...

No, mine uses 2 x ESS Technology ES9018, an older generation than the Gustard ES9028PRO x 2.
I think the dynamics is acceptable for now with helps from U16 and 10MHz external clock.

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #1,363 of 1,697
It would be interesting if you try direct from your WIN10 computer to the U16 to see if the problem is Linux related.
I am using U16 to Audio-GD NOS7, PCM only, Windows server 2019, seems pretty stable all rates with maybe an very occasional disconnect when changing rates but that may not be related to U16 as I have not identified the cause. I am thinking U16/R8 would be a fantastic PCM combo when working correctly, even better with 10M clock...
I compared isolated Amanero to U16 (i2s) on a R1, Used W4S Recovery on both, Amanero kind of ss sound very very close to 5V modded SU-1, the U16 more tubelike.. I preferred the U16 even though I had some trouble with sample rates (needed to upsample everything to 384k iirc...) but I am sure some would prefer the Amanero presentation.

Thanks motberg for the information.

In the last couple of hours I've been trying 1.61 (non NFB) firmware with PS Audio output on my U16 (thanks Scott for the help) and it seems to work ok finally! I hope!

I only use FLAC PCM 44.1 kHz 16 bits streaming Tidal with Audinirvana on Windows 10 and feeding the U16 with the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo. My R8 sounds very very nice with this combo. I can't wait for the OCXO clock upgrade!

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #1,364 of 1,697
Thanks motberg for the information.

In the last couple of hours I've been trying 1.61 (non NFB) firmware with PS Audio output on my U16 (thanks Scott for the help) and it seems to work ok finally! I hope!

I only use FLAC PCM 44.1 kHz 16 bits streaming Tidal with Audinirvana on Windows 10 and feeding the U16 with the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo. My R8 sounds very very nice with this combo. I can't wait for the OCXO clock upgrade!

Hey, is there a link for that firmware? unable to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back