Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
May 23, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #947 of 1,697
I contacted Shenzen Audio to enquire about new firmware about 2 weeks ago, just the usual 'Gustard is working on it'.

Thanks UsoppNoKami for reporting this. Another forumer did mentioned that he asked twice and got 2 different response. 1st response was that they (Gustard) are working on it. 2nd response was abit disturbing - they wanted the user to contact the dac manufacturer for resolving compatibility issues. That led me to think that they have abandon ship.

Hope they really come back fast on this. Has been too long.

May 23, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #948 of 1,697
Thanks UsoppNoKami for reporting this. Another forumer did mentioned that he asked twice and got 2 different response. 1st response was that they (Gustard) are working on it. 2nd response was abit disturbing - they wanted the user to contact the dac manufacturer for resolving compatibility issues. That led me to think that they have abandon ship.

Hope they really come back fast on this. Has been too long.

Hi, they did ask me to ask my DAC manufacturer to fix the issues in an earlier email. But seeing as AudioGD works flawlessly on I2S with the PS Audio settings on any of the Singxers including my SU-6, this endless stream of nonsense is firmly in Gustard's court to fix

May 24, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #949 of 1,697
You should use v1.41 firmware for M7 to work properly for all frequency.

Gustard seems not paying efforts to finish their firmware for the customers. V1.61 still got lots of problems.

Hi jimmychan/all. I just got my Audio-GD R8 today and am having issues getting it to play via my GustardU16. I am on v1.4 but I don't get anything to change when I long press the "OSCSEL" button to change to the correct setting for Audio-GD devices. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

May 24, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #950 of 1,697
I have not seen any other more qualified suggestions so here are a few:
I think this is the correct firmware that is recommended
GU16V1_4_PSA_0db_PS_Audio_I2S.rom
iirc, this version you do not need set the front panel button to PSA (that is only enabled in later versions?)
use a short (0.5M) good quality HDMI cable, make sure to shut down both the DAC and U16 before plugging/unplugging the HDMI cable
Make sure the DAC is set to the correct input
Try different sample rates - keep the volume low as you may get some digital hash at some rates.

May 25, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #953 of 1,697
Hi jimmychan/all. I just got my Audio-GD R8 today and am having issues getting it to play via my GustardU16. I am on v1.4 but I don't get anything to change when I long press the "OSCSEL" button to change to the correct setting for Audio-GD devices. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

No switch setting is need for V1.4 with Audio-gd DAC.
The switch only works for V1.61 so far.

May 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #954 of 1,697
My PCM life with the U16 has much improved since using the ASIO driver with buffer setting of 512 samples for 44.1Khz (Win 10). Still has a few idiosyncrasies but the amount constant operational issues reduces dramatically and very rare. Used 1.4 psa firmware for months but have recently been using 1.61.

The U16 sound quality is superb with the recently upgraded Audio GD R7 and S7 DACs. And like it even more than a month old Singxer SU-6. The U16 is more liquid but the SU-6 is very good and still running in.

May 25, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #955 of 1,697
Hi guy I am a new user here

I use U16 with audio gd r28

It kind of I cannot play dsd with this and don't know what to do.

I try u16 manual it not make it.

I use firmware v 1.61 and kind of confuse on setting

somebody can enlight me?

I use Jriver 24 and set as follow
1. Playback : gustard u16 asio
2. DSP : None

When I try to set dsp to dop dsd it fail said asio not available

May 25, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #957 of 1,697
Great! let us know how it sounds after some break-in time :beerchug:
So far so good. I have not done any serious listening since getting the U16 v1.4PSA firmware upgrade figured out, but I did have to sit down a couple of times because the music was just too inviting not to give an initial listen. My first observations are of a very fluid presentation. The midrange and treble are really clear and instruments and vocals have nice air and space around them, front-to-back, and side-to-side. The bass is a little loose on some types of music, but I expect that to fall in line as things get burned in more. I'm very happy with my purchase, although I'm sure my wife is not going to like the amount of time I spend in my listening room.

May 25, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #958 of 1,697
My PCM life with the U16 has much improved since using the ASIO driver with buffer setting of 512 samples for 44.1Khz (Win 10). Still has a few idiosyncrasies but the amount constant operational issues reduces dramatically and very rare. Used 1.4 psa firmware for months but have recently been using 1.61.

The U16 sound quality is superb with the recently upgraded Audio GD R7 and S7 DACs. And like it even more than a month old Singxer SU-6. The U16 is more liquid but the SU-6 is very good and still running in.

I once had SU 1, SU 6 and U16. I found U16 is better for R7 and Reference 1. I sold the SU-1 and SU-6 and only keep two U16.

May 28, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #959 of 1,697
I have been following Singxer SU6, and I saw the forum talking about Gustard U16 and I'm really interested.
I want i2S to PS Audio DSD DAC, just wondering if the Gustard U16 i2S output complies with PS DSD? Any forumner's experience please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back