Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Feb 13, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #646 of 1,697
15501138087737083783062594746916.jpg

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #647 of 1,697
New U16's recently purchased most likely have firmware 1.61 96K installed and that have proven to be buggy. I flashed a friends back to 1.4 and his music is now stable during playback at DSD512. Flashing was a pain, and it should have been easy, but PC would not see the u16 and we tried numerous USB ports on back of the PC until finally they saw each other then we completed the flash. 1.4 is the better firmware.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #648 of 1,697
New U16's recently purchased most likely have firmware 1.61 96K installed and that have proven to be buggy. I flashed a friends back to 1.4 and his music is now stable during playback at DSD512. Flashing was a pain, and it should have been easy, but PC would not see the u16 and we tried numerous USB ports on back of the PC until finally they saw each other then we completed the flash. 1.4 is the better firmware.

Hello Quadman,
I have no idea wich firmware my U16 brought from factory, but, as I said, it works flawlessly streaming Tidal with Audinirvana Plus with Windows 10 at a rate of 88.2 Khz.
Did you find any difference in sound quality between the firmwares? I mean, working both flawlessly of course.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #649 of 1,697
If you just received it recently then most likely 1.61 96K. I helped someone whom I built a server for through team viewer so I have not actually heard the U16. But 1.61 FW would play DSD512 for 20 mins and then stop, He had to reboot PC to get back then 20 mins later repeat. With 1.4 LKS FW (he has LKS dac) and DSD512 no more issues and he reports the sound is wonderful. He also liked the 1.61 sound but issues made us switch. If you are happy with what you are getting then all is good.

On shenzhen download page there is firmware and instructions. In that package you'll find a DFU app which can read what firmware version you have and will also allow you to flash a different version. should you desire.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #650 of 1,697
@PLGA: -Take a look at page 32, post 471. If You use HDMI and IIS-out the "GU16V1_4_PSA_0db_PS_Audio_I2S.rom" is the way to go. I have a flawless performance on all played and tested formats. (flac: 16/44, 24-44, 24-48.24-88.2, 24-96, 24-176.4, 24-192, 24-352.8, 24-384 also 32-bit works)
Wav: up to 32-192.
DSD: DFF and DSF = DSD64, DSD128

/Jan

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #651 of 1,697
@PLGA: -Take a look at page 32, post 471. If You use HDMI and IIS-out the "GU16V1_4_PSA_0db_PS_Audio_I2S.rom" is the way to go. I have a flawless performance on all played and tested formats. (flac: 16/44, 24-44, 24-48.24-88.2, 24-96, 24-176.4, 24-192, 24-352.8, 24-384 also 32-bit works)
Wav: up to 32-192.
DSD: DFF and DSF = DSD64, DSD128

/Jan

Although I guess it is good to try the older firmware (I also had that problem with the firmware not installing through various USB ports) I think you have the R2R7 (first version of R7?) and from memory those units are working fine with the PSA 1.4 firmware... but seems the R8 and R1 have the problem with only some sample rates playing OK, regardless of firmware revision.

(U16 with the NOS7 DAC is magic BTW....)

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #652 of 1,697
Although I guess it is good to try the older firmware (I also had that problem with the firmware not installing through various USB ports) I think you have the R2R7 (first version of R7?) and from memory those units are working fine with the PSA 1.4 firmware... but seems the R8 and R1 have the problem with only some sample rates playing OK, regardless of firmware revision.

(U16 with the NOS7 DAC is magic BTW....)

Oh, sorry. I guess I haven't been reading careful enough about the specific R1-R8-problems with the U16. And yes, You are right.. I have the R2R-7. A bit OT but.. By the way.. I also feed a NFB-27.77 with a u16 on 1.4 PSA IIS-fw. Also this setup works flawlessly. Both chains sounds "high end" ..better than ever. The U16's pushed their performances a clear step forward. No doubt. One of the better investments so far.

I believe You about the "magic"..

/J

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #653 of 1,697
I think there is cause for hope the PSA 1.4 firmware may work better with the R8..
it seems the U16 works OK with the R8 sometimes within the 44.1 KHz family, and the U16 works OK with the R1 sometimes within the 48 KHz family, so there is a difference between the 2 DACs
It has been noted in other threads that the R8 is more like a lighter version of the R7 (which works generally OK with the U16) - rather than an upscale version of the R1
If I am reading correctly above, folks have been able to successfully flash the U16 to previous firmware versions - but my experience and some of those above, indicate to carefully read the instructions, take your time, and be ready to try different USB ports during the flashing process...

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #654 of 1,697
Yes,
the flashing is always a risk. A good precaution is to get a small UPS to power both the computer and the U16 during the flashing. When I got my U16's they both had version 1.61. It was a clear beta-behavior and I was lucky to catch my eyes on on the tables on page 32 (post 471). I don't like the idea of accepting a beta behavior and to be forced to use workarounds to keep it running. Well the 1.4 PSA IIS-fw seems to be stable for both my dac's (with different architctures (R-ladder and DS), this also for longers times. I run them 24/7.

If You can gather the guts to flash, It's important to choose a native USB2.0 port on the computer. Yes! Read carefully the instructions.

/Jan

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #656 of 1,697
Can anybody check the playback of 352.8kHz (DXD) from BNC (S/PDIF)?

I have no problem with RCA output, but BNC plays left channel only.
You need a DAC with S/PDIF input that accepts higher than 192kHz, which is not common yet.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #657 of 1,697
Yes,
the flashing is always a risk. A good precaution is to get a small UPS to power both the computer and the U16 during the flashing. When I got my U16's they both had version 1.61. It was a clear beta-behavior and I was lucky to catch my eyes on on the tables on page 32 (post 471). I don't like the idea of accepting a beta behavior and to be forced to use workarounds to keep it running. Well the 1.4 PSA IIS-fw seems to be stable for both my dac's (with different architctures (R-ladder and DS), this also for longers times. I run them 24/7.

If You can gather the guts to flash, It's important to choose a native USB2.0 port on the computer. Yes! Read carefully the instructions.

/Jan

Hello Jan,
Im sorry for my ignorance on the field, but what exactly do you mean by "gathering the guts to flash"? What exactly does mean "flashing"? Installing and running the tool manager software provided by Gustard?
I'm thinking about changing the firmware to 1.4 PSA version, mostly to see if it sounds better, because toady my U16 works well with the current firmware and the sampling rate I configured, but I'm not sure if it will be too much trouble or a risk somehow. I would appreciate if you could give me some advise. What am I risking? Is it too complicated to install the firmware? Is it worth it?
Thank you!

Pedro

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #658 of 1,697
Hello Jan,
Im sorry for my ignorance on the field, but what exactly do you mean by "gathering the guts to flash"? What exactly does mean "flashing"? Installing and running the tool manager software provided by Gustard?
I'm thinking about changing the firmware to 1.4 PSA version, mostly to see if it sounds better, because toady my U16 works well with the current firmware and the sampling rate I configured, but I'm not sure if it will be too much trouble or a risk somehow. I would appreciate if you could give me some advise. What am I risking? Is it too complicated to install the firmware? Is it worth it?
Thank you!

Pedro

Hi Pedro,
It is not more risky to do this than other fw-upgrades. This upgrade procedure is usually called "flashing".

The risk I mentioned is the fact that when You perform the upgrade (the fw-code is uploading to the device and the programming of the EEPROM in the U16 is ongoing) A power failure of the powergrid during the middle of the upgrading process can ruin the gear (in this case the U16). You can "brick" the device if You are really unlucky. That's why I suggested the small UPS to ensure a secured power source during the process. I think everybody should have one at least for this purpose.

It is definately worth to perform the upgrade. If You feel You can trust the power delivery to Your house. Go for it. Othervise get a small UPS.

The upgrade itself is quite strait on and takes just a few seconds. Very undramatic. Good luck.

/Jan

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #659 of 1,697
Hi Pedro,
It is not more risky to do this than other fw-upgrades

The risk I mentioned is the fact that when You perform the upgrade (the fw-code is uploading to the device and the programming of the EEPROM in the U16 is ongoing) A power failure of the powergrid during the middle of the upgrading process can ruin the gear (in this case the U16). You can "brick" the device if You are really unlucky. That's why I suggested the small UPS to ensure a secured power source during the process. I think everybody should have one at least for this purpose.

It is definately worth to perform the upgrade. If You feel You can trust the power delivery to Your house. Go for it. Othervise get a small UPS.

The upgrade itself is quite strait on and takes just a few seconds. Very undramatic. Good luck.

/Jan

Thank you very much!

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #660 of 1,697
Well if you have an poor UPS that can ruin it to without power failure.

How many times have you experienced an power failure during flashing, or heard of anyone experied one during flashing? Please I need references to evaluate the risks on real grounds.

In this apartment we had a power failure 2 times last year. The risk is if happens precisely during flashing...

To calculate safely say we have power failure 10 times a year and flashing takes 1 minute to complete(I really think it takes like 20 seconds)
1minute out of one year is 365 * 24 * 60 = 1 / 525600 (edit 10/525600)

So you have to flash it roughly 525600 (edit 52560) times in one year to be somewhat sure to have an power failure during flashing and brick it...

That said if you have power failures every day or so an UPS is good

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back