Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Feb 15, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #662 of 1,697
Well if you have an poor UPS that can ruin it to without power failure.

How many times have you experienced an power failure during flashing, or heard of anyone experied one during flashing? Please I need references to evaluate the risks on real grounds.

In this apartment we had a power failure 2 times last year. The risk is if happens precisely during flashing...

To calculate safely say we have power failure 10 times a year and flashing takes 1 minute to complete(I really think it takes like 20 seconds)
1minute out of one year is 365 * 24 * 60 = 1 / 525600

So you have to flash it roughly 525600 times in one year to be somewhat sure to have an power failure during flashing and brick it...

That said if you have power failures every day or so an UPS is good

Hi,
I guess You are addressing me. The quality of the power delivery differs alot in the world. In Sweden where I live we usually have a high quality of the power. But storms now and then disturbs. Not often but they do.
I also usually take rather high risks but in the case of the U16 I think it is so good that it should be a real pity to kill such a well perfoming device. But Yes 300 USD is not the world...

It is my recommendation to use UPS. And yes I remember 3 clear occations where the UPS propably saved the gears. I started to use UPS after the killing of a rather expensive DVR years back...But that machine got its life back through a serial connected soldered to the chips pins on the circuitboard and was programmed forcefeeded. I don't recommend anybody to do that today.

Everybody do what they think is right. I just wanted to give a heads up for the actual risk involved. But..It's Your choise how to proceed, of course.

/Jan

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #663 of 1,697
I have a 10 year old MacBook Pro with Windows 7 installed. The actual flashing of firmware takes 1 second with it.

Last time I had power failure was possibly12 years ago. The cheapest usp seems to cost 80 euros. I would never order anything direct from China if odds were so terribly against me.

I don't use the Mac to play music, I use Auralic Aries. Only 96 and dsd256 are playable with i2s. I'm a bit pessimistic Gustard will ever fix the firmware to suit Linux, especially if they had problems with the previous model U12, as someone mentioned.

U16 has grounded all outputs and inputs to earth, even the rca is grounded. That causes problems (dropouts) with ISO Regen, which can be solved with a bit of wire though.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #664 of 1,697
I have a 10 year old MacBook Pro with Windows 7 installed. The actual flashing of firmware takes 1 second with it.

Last time I had power failure was possibly12 years ago. The cheapest usp seems to cost 80 euros. I would never order anything direct from China if odds were so terribly against me.

I don't use the Mac to play music, I use Auralic Aries. Only 92 and dsd256 are playable with i2s. I'm a bit pessimistic Gustard will ever fix the firmware to suit Linux, especially if they had problems with the previous model U12, as someone mentioned.

U16 has grounded all outputs and inputs to earth, even the rca is grounded. That causes problems (dropouts) with ISO Regen, which can be solved with a bit of wire though.

Do you feel there is an improvement with the ISO Regen on the U16?

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #665 of 1,697
I would say there is a difference and I prefer to use the IR. But... somehow the highs seem more relaxed without it. The uspcb I use with the IR has seen better days, I've been fixing it with small pieces of wire. That may be a culprit. Btw, if someone gets the IR, you need the 90 degree uspcb, otherwise it won't fit.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #668 of 1,697
To use positive thinking I have two iso regens running serial (connected with the old usb a to b adapter (uspcb iI do not prefer)) with u16 on two lps-1 feeded by 12v linear hdplex 200w psu. I cant break down the music in different spectras (which bothers me beacuase its a habit doing so) because its flowing and is so organical so the brain cant accept it as nothing but a whole.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #669 of 1,697
Hello guys
Ive just installed the 1.4 PSA firmware and I have the same results as with the 1.61 one.
The only sample rate that works flawlessly is 88.2 kHz in my R8 DAC.
On the other hand, the U16 has been running for about 20 hours and the sound now is superb, very very nice. It has the same good things as before, but better in every field. It is starting to show its potential.
Considering I listen to all my music streaming Tidal at 44.1 sample rate, upsampling x2 gives me paradise! Un upgrade totally worthwile !!

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #670 of 1,697
I think the basic idea is to make sure nothing interrupts the flashing process.. so probably not a great idea to have kids running around, for example, that may accidentally disconnect the USB cable or in some other manner cut the power to the U16 or computer...

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #672 of 1,697
Hello guys
Ive just installed the 1.4 PSA firmware and I have the same results as with the 1.61 one.
The only sample rate that works flawlessly is 88.2 kHz in my R8 DAC.
On the other hand, the U16 has been running for about 20 hours and the sound now is superb, very very nice. It has the same good things as before, but better in every field. It is starting to show its potential.
Considering I listen to all my music streaming Tidal at 44.1 sample rate, upsampling x2 gives me paradise! Un upgrade totally worthwile !!

That is an interesting use case... streaming at 44.1, upsampling x 2 keeps you within the same frequency family.. well done!
Thanks for the report...
I have a fairly good dual PC system, with a LPS1>1.5A LT3045 regulator box>JCAT USB card. Yesterday I inserted an Intona Industrial USB isolator between the JCAT card and the U16.
There was surprisingly a definite improvement in a reduction of high frequency hash that was previously present for some tracks.

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #673 of 1,697
I have had my Gustard U16 for 3 weeks now and must say that it has a very nice sound when using the S/PDIF out to my DAC. In some ways it’s even better than the much more expansive Off-ramp 5 with separate LPS and all. Great sound and good value.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #674 of 1,697
Hello I wonder if anyone can measure connection between the conducting pins at the iec power inlet of the u16. I can measure 125 ohm when set to 220V and 32ohm when voltage selector is at 110V. Is that normal?
10245363_thumb.jpg

Ofcourse this is when power switch is set to ON "1"

Attachments

• 57011.jpg
    57011.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #675 of 1,697
Talking about power inlet... my 220V rated U16 has a 1.3A fuse, which seems very high for a device like this. What amperage fuse do you who live in 120V countries have?

Trying to check whether they just pack same fuse with all devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back