Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jan 31, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #556 of 1,697
Doing the first tests with my U16, but the screen only shows 48khz, irrespective of the sampling rate in foobar. That's happening in a laptop with Windows 8 and another with Windows 10.

I just tried the following with a Windows 10 computer:

foobar2000/WASAPI (event) -> USB to U16 -> I2S to Guastard X20 dac

The display on U16 for CD wav files is correct

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #557 of 1,697
@FredA Thanks, I forgot that WASAPI is an installed Foobar component and not available with the standard release. Same with .dsf DSD file support. And the these components are is easily found, downloaded, and installed. To find just Google search 'foobar wasapi component' and 'foobar dsdiff component'.

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #558 of 1,697
@Cortes What device are you selecting in Foobar Output->Device? Appears it could be set to the primary Windows output which always re-samples everything to the rate selected in Windows sound settings (48kHz could be the default).

With Foobar I always use WASAPI (event) to play the native sampling rates. And the rates are indicated correctly on the U16 display as different songs are played.

If you are sure Foobar is set correctly the U16 could just not be displaying the right info but playing back OK. If so you are the first to report.

you're right!. I didn't have the wasapi installed. I installed it and now the display shows the correct frequency. That was silly on my side.

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #559 of 1,697
press and hold the left button.
in right upper corner you can see the mode, repeat until you see psa

This corrected the R/L inversion problem I was having with R1 DAC and U16 1.61.
I changed the mode to PSA and now the right and left channels are correct. (44.1 is still hisssss however..)
Thanks for the post - I do not remember this information in the formal instructions...

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #560 of 1,697
you're right!. I didn't have the wasapi installed. I installed it and now the display shows the correct frequency. That was silly on my side.
Thanks!

Excellent! Also with Foobar make sure ReplayGain is turned off for bit perfect playback. On new installs this is turned on automatically. You can find the setting under Preferences->Playback. Just set 'Source Mode' and 'Processing' to 'none'.

ReplayGain is a loudness control attempting to keep all file playback volume levels uniform. I went nuts trying to figure why my system did not sound as good when changing computers and reinstalling Foobar.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #561 of 1,697
This corrected the R/L inversion problem I was having with R1 DAC and U16 1.61.
I changed the mode to PSA and now the right and left channels are correct. (44.1 is still hisssss however..)
Thanks for the post - I do not remember this information in the formal instructions...

It is so new it is not documented in U16 literature. These button push mode changes are included for U16 firmwares 1.58 and 1.61 (and up presumably). The other button also does a mode change for fixed 0dB output or ability to scale volume with a player (like 'volumio' for instance).

Besides L-R swaps 'PSA' mode will correct the absolute audio phase in both channels.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #563 of 1,697
Funny, I was looking for a DAC, and found that RME realsed recently the RME ADI-2 FS, a stripped down version of the Pro version at half price. It has not USB input, it's obviously geared towards professionals, and more likely the DAC section is the same in both. Now with the U16 I'm seriously tempted, since RME is serious company with real engineering.

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #566 of 1,697
Detail of the pins behind the hdmi. Looks like it has three positions. IMG_20190203_141756.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #567 of 1,697
Thanks for the picture. I don't undastand what the switch/jumpers does... Maybe somebody here can have an idea..
Besides that I can spot the better isolation transformer för the SDPDIF (RCA) and propably also on the AES XLR output. DA101C is better than the Pulse ones use earlier.
/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back