Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #391 of 1,697
I forgot: i ordered a couple of dc cables from Ghentaudio. Maybe another sound upgrade? Not that i need any but i will take it anyway if it’s the case. :beyersmile:
ive been really happy with the Ghent DC01 cables, i have one on each of my Uptone LPS-1 LPSU's, the Oyaide connector is really nice and the canare cable makes for awesome flexibility.
Based on this explanation from the designer of the Uptone ISORegen i don't think there would be much benefit from cables more exotic than the Ghent DC01 ones, and the ghent cables use the exact Canare cable he recommends.

is the DC01 the same ghent cable you purchased? or did you opt for one of the other Ghent cables? this one looks nice too: DC-7N16C Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 16AWG DC(JSSG360) Cable but its double the price of the Canare cable.

Audio Sensibility makes 2 DC cable options ($239 CDN Signature Silver DC Cable and $159 CDN OCC Statement SE DC Cable) but they seem to much money to invest in a simple DC cable and i am weary i would be able to tell the difference from the Ghent cables.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #392 of 1,697
I do all cables myself and use pre-war vintage Western Electric single core wires. F.e., 2,5x5,5 Oyaide DC - to - GXx12x2 connector. 2 discrete shielded braided lines (6x WE D0,5mm single core copper wires total, 3x each line) :
59e92ee159bec5fde39aa2e531bb96f45877d15a_2_1332x1000.jpeg
10b0a772a939cc6890e9eedd802b984e9bf59d90_2_1332x1000.jpeg

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #393 of 1,697
ive been really happy with the Ghent DC01 cables, i have one on each of my Uptone LPS-1 LPSU's, the Oyaide connector is really nice and the canare cable makes for awesome flexibility.
Based on this explanation from the designer of the Uptone ISORegen i don't think there would be much benefit from cables more exotic than the Ghent DC01 ones, and the ghent cables use the exact Canare cable he recommends.

is the DC01 the same ghent cable you purchased? or did you opt for one of the other Ghent cables? this one looks nice too: DC-7N16C Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 16AWG DC(JSSG360) Cable but its double the price of the Canare cable.

Audio Sensibility makes 2 DC cable options ($239 CDN Signature Silver DC Cable and $159 CDN OCC Statement SE DC Cable) but they seem to much money to invest in a simple DC cable and i am weary i would be able to tell the difference from the Ghent cables.
Yes, i got the Canare. I don’t think i had a choice with the terminations i needed.

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #395 of 1,697
Tonight, what i hear with my usbridge -> intona -> u16 -> r-7 setup is sort of, just like, i hesitate to say it, don’t want to jinx it: mind-blowing.

The soundstage has expanded in all direction and the illusion of the band being here in my room has become even more convincing.

I am a little sad as the journey to where i got was as fun as being at what seems to be the final destination. I am afraid there is not much i could do to improve what i hear.

Maybe one of those crazy expansive tubulus usb cables? Audio Sensibility Testament? A used he-350? Not sure any of these would help. I think i am just gonna buy some new records.... :smile_phones:

Wow Fred, i am glad you found fulfillment in your audio journey. I am sure it is not over yet :wink: I am waiting for Gustard to be back in stock to order. I just took the plunge for the Audio Sensibility Testament usb cable. I'll be able to report back in a few weeks. I have their Impact SE Headphone Cable for my HE560 and have been quite impressed by the improvement over the stock cable. Are you still using that Ebay 2.1 Hdmi cable or stayed with the Black Mamba ?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #396 of 1,697
A@
Wow Fred, i am glad you found fulfillment in your audio journey. I am sure it is not over yet :wink: I am waiting for Gustard to be back in stock to order. I just took the plunge for the Audio Sensibility Testament usb cable. I'll be able to report back in a few weeks. I have their Impact SE Headphone Cable for my HE560 and have been quite impressed by the improvement over the stock cable. Are you still using that Ebay 2.1 Hdmi cable or stayed with the Black Mamba ?
Hi Bernie.

I guess you mean the Statement usb cable? That’s what i meant anyway, cause they don´t seem to do a Testament usb cable. The top of the line is the Signature.

Yes. I still use the 2.1 cable. Haven’t done a/b with the Black Mamba. Not sure which one is best. They are excellent.

As for usb cable, i have an ms-audio/valab silver usb between the usbridge and intona, very fast cable, and an ab-system mkii (cable with two separate trunks but just one head) between the usbridge and the u16. The latter is my best usb cable.

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #400 of 1,697
Thanks for

Thanks for letting us know this update.

I understand that, as usual, when a software/firmware is updated, the company will tell us as less as possible. But Gustard tells nothing in this 1.61 fw update, impossible to beat that.

However, I am sure that Gustard must have done something in this 1.61 fw. To confirm my conjecture, I found that "push and hold the left button" will change the upper right display to

GSD->PSA->LKS->HOLO->LRCK->GSD->......

LRCK is not available in 1.59 fw

What is LRCK for?

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #402 of 1,697
Thankfully for Holo I2S configuration, ver 1.58/1.61 work fine, so no qualms there.

After marathon tussle with Jplay Trial activation, I finally see the light. This is unbelievable - how a software can unlock so much potential from same hardware.
Using Jplay with KS at 5Hz link is pure bliss even on my modified Topping D50 (with OPA 2209) and just K712 Pro.
I am yet to check it with Spring and my better headphones.
I am definitely getting a license for JPlay!

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #405 of 1,697
i did a quick comparison this morning between the black mamba and the 2.1 chinese hdmi cables.

Both cables were burned for at least a week. I used Waltz For Debby from Bill Evans to pick the differences. It is a recording that is rich in spatial and ambiant cues.

To sum it up: the 2.1 brings more life to the party. The sense of depth, and micro-details are quite obviously better with it. It is smoother and more transparent. Bass is similar.

When i got it last week, the 2.1 did not sound so good and things were slightly in favor of the black mamba, as it had been burned for at least a week.

But now it is a different story. The 2.1 is clearly above. It needed around 100 hours to fully develop. This makes me wonder about high-end offering like the Tubulus. But this chinese cable is an excellent performer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back