Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #61 of 1,697
I could bet that my modded SU-1 wont be worst than SU-6. Actually I think should be even better.

In this comparison U16 sounds better than my modded SU-1, so...

What's your SU-1 mod?. Clocks, PSU?.

The U16 can also be modded: better PSU for sure, and probably an external clock (cybershaft ??) because its clocks are not fantastic.

We have to wait and hear to compare with the SU-6. However, the SU-6 will be much more expensive than the U16.

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #62 of 1,697
What's your SU-1 mod?. Clocks, PSU?.

The U16 can also be modded: better PSU for sure, and probably an external clock (cybershaft ??) because its clocks are not fantastic.

We have to wait and hear to compare with the SU-6. However, the SU-6 will be much more expensive than the U16.
Clocks, voltage regulators, capacitors, RF treatment, separated power from USB.

Cybershaft it's a World Clock. Those clocks only synchronise internal clocks, which are still important.
Accusilicon clocks are definitely candidate for swap. Same as voltage regulator or main caps.

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #63 of 1,697
Clocks, voltage regulators, capacitors, RF treatment, separated power from USB.

Cybershaft it's a World Clock. Those clocks only synchronise internal clocks, which are still important.
Accusilicon clocks are definitely candidate for swap. Same as voltage regulator or main caps.

@RAFA:

Those clocks only synchronise internal clocks, which are still important.

This is something I don't get. External World Clock do not remove the internal clocks?. Internal clocks get slaved to the external master clocks. Low frequency phase noise should be strongly reduced. Or they still play a role to convert external clock frequencies?.

RF treatment,

What are you using for that?. I recently bought a Tenmars TM-192D and I've got horrified from the emissions of my valve Amp, my laptops and chargers. Funnily the emissions of my PC PSUs (all of them expensive of high quality) are pretty decent.

I purchased a copper strip for guitar shielding and put around some parts of my laptop: zero result. Proper EMI/RF shielding is probably more difficult than it seems, and definitvely requires measures to know. I should probably try mu-metal or some similar alloy, but it's pretty expensive.

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #64 of 1,697
@RAFA:

Those clocks only synchronise internal clocks, which are still important.
...Internal clocks get slaved to the external master clocks. Low frequency phase noise should be strongly reduced. Or they still play a role to convert external clock frequencies?.

RF treatment,

What are you using for that?. I recently bought a Tenmars TM-192D and I've got horrified from the emissions of my valve Amp, my laptops and chargers. Funnily the emissions of my PC PSUs (all of them expensive of high quality) are pretty decent.

I purchased a copper strip for guitar shielding and put around some parts of my laptop: zero result. Proper EMI/RF shielding is probably more difficult than it seems, and definitvely requires measures to know. I should probably try mu-metal or some similar alloy, but it's pretty expensive.

Its exactly as you said. Internal clocks get slaved to the external master clocks. Low frequency phase noise should be strongly reduced.
But still, it is clock signal to convert music as only them has proper frequency for music sample. 10M clock, lets say corrects them work.

For RF I use 3M absorbers. Use them with caution.
They may make the sound worst, so test placement and size of piece long time before apply as hard to remove them after :)
I used copper tape as well but you have to put a lot and the effect is minimal. Most effective in transformer area.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #65 of 1,697
Its exactly as you said. Internal clocks get slaved to the external master clocks. Low frequency phase noise should be strongly reduced.
But still, it is clock signal to convert music as only them has proper frequency for music sample. 10M clock, lets say corrects them work.

For RF I use 3M absorbers. Use them with caution.
They may make the sound worst, so test placement and size of piece long time before apply as hard to remove them after :)
I used copper tape as well but you have to put a lot and the effect is minimal. Most effective in transformer area.
So would adding external 10Mhz masterclock (I see the 10Mhz clock input) to clock the Gustard, would help by reducing jitter I presume >?? And should improve SQ?

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #67 of 1,697
So would adding external 10Mhz masterclock (I see the 10Mhz clock input) to clock the Gustard, would help by reducing jitter I presume >?? And should improve SQ?
Yes, I would expect it so.

The best if you can synchro with your DAC as well as U16 has output option. Unfortunately my Gustard X20 DAC doesn't have WCLK input

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #68 of 1,697
Yes, I would expect it so.

The best if you can synchro with your DAC as well as U16 has output option. Unfortunately my Gustard X20 DAC doesn't have WCLK input
If the DAC has a Mclock input u may be able to use an external reference clock to sync both the Gustard and the DAC. My DAC, which is audio-gd, has no input clocks at all. I think if you use I2S the sync with DAC is not as important as there is less jitter with the I2S compared with USB input.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #69 of 1,697
Depends on the DAC design, but the I2S as shown on U16 carry the MClock, so there isn’t any need for extras ? My LKS004 does not even use Mclock as it only uses it own and for this I had to upgrade the clock within the unit to perceive any changes or upgrades that I have within the chain

I do wonder what the pin 18 does, 3.3-5VDC must give ? What is that ?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #71 of 1,697
Very well built unit, and I confirm that the stock I2S configuration works out of the box with any HDMI cables connecting into LKS004.

I am using HQPlayer and Upsampling on the fly into DSD512 via my I2S by LKS004 and it works !
AC4121B0-273F-4E2A-8FD2-B598673310D1.jpeg 431CFF74-AA6F-4A8C-8318-0568A918DCED.jpeg 3B87ABB3-E509-471B-8711-563EE342935A.jpeg 5DE0B4C6-F9E1-4AA9-AA79-77D5AFD2252C.jpeg B4BA8DF7-8B98-4517-9AEC-53109D579CAE.jpeg

So far I am able to run : Poly-Sinc-XTR-mp-2s by DSD512 which I was never able to run before with Amanero or Xmos interface of any kinds....

Then I am even able to found DPLL10 that works for other filters, except the very heavy load! Must be my PC limitations
BA1BAFC8-874C-495E-B06A-B22F11D2E9F0.jpeg

I can even run YouTube and online streaming out of Windows and upscaling it all to 384Khz ! Wow! Technically, this DSP has proven my theory about how important a DSP chip is, by interface and connecting between devices. It is superior to the rest.

What about that sound performances ? Awesome ! Most noticeable is that upper frequencies energy retentions. The density of upper frequencies are with great density and weight but extended well and very defined . The back ground is more quiet, with greater details retrieval, the soundstage hugely benefit and become more immersive (and this is out of the box)...crazy....and only $285 (less than any snake oil cables) LOL! But with huge benefit and real performances gains

Eventhough I have Pinkfaun I2S and OCXO clocks, that thing is only good for PCM. But if you want anything further, DSD and upscaling and so on, this is the way to go.

Usb Cables is Pangea
I2S-HDMI is Pangea
Power cord is DIY Solid Silver
Source is Built PC on board USB (no upgraded card yet)
DAC is LKS004 (Upgraded OCXO clock)
Toward Stax system T2 and 009S

CC855063-32DE-4663-9D70-834544C0EE3C.jpeg 9306188B-5E92-4CA7-ACD1-48BA0BD125ED.jpeg

Attachments

• B39EBC36-D534-4123-A9DD-1E011B12DC06.jpeg
    B39EBC36-D534-4123-A9DD-1E011B12DC06.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #73 of 1,697
Damn good courier! Great!

Yeah, DHl Express free shipping....even faster than domestic Postal service or UPS LoL.....

It is an awesome investment for $285. I had been waiting for something else that is not XMOS or FPGA with ugly firmware and algorithm like Amanero for too long X_X, and I had to grab this U16 LOL

The sound quality with PCM is a huge upgrade accross the board, everything from much better bass articulation with greater dynamic, more airy and better upper frequencies

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #74 of 1,697
@Whitigir,

glad to see you are so happy, that's the goal of this hobby :).

I agree with you about the price, nothing ridiculous. It looks solid engineering giving a real upgrade at a decent price.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #75 of 1,697
@Whitigir,

glad to see you are so happy, that's the goal of this hobby :).

I agree with you about the price, nothing ridiculous. It looks solid engineering giving a real upgrade at a decent price.

Comes from my own DIY experiences, the chassis itself is worth $75, the transformer itself is at least $40, the Accusilicon is at least $35 a pieces.....and whatever the heck else...Plus shipping ? I don’t even know how Gustard have this produced for $285 and free shipping

Now, I am starting to think Trade war against the Chinese is pretty stupid .....LoL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back