Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #46 of 1,697
Nothing is OT if it is all related to one another. May I know where you source and buy your Abracon ? Source is even more important than the Bridge and the DAC itself. When the source is not up to Par, regardless of what you throw at it, it would sound like ....

You know, chicken poop in = chicken poop out....there is no chicken poop in and chicken soup out...Nope!

Anyways, try the HQPlayer. I had purchased most software and I can say that Jriver is pretty bad at Upsampling ...only so so in playing back Native DSD. There is also another saying, hardware is only the bone and the body, software is the soul of it. So, without a good program, it will be just...souless
Most of electronics I buy with Mouser, Farnel, hificollective & audiophonics.

I had a HQPlayer demo and didn't like from user perspective. It's not so intuitive as JRiver. I may give another try if SQ is worth it.

New U16 controller give much more progress than any software or hardware with XMOS before. But need very long burn-in time. I recommend 2 weeks of 24h operation, so over 300h.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #48 of 1,697
After 48h is still changing, once play nice, once with sharp highs. Very unstable first 4-5 days and then changes are smaller and slower.
But definitely, definitely I couldn't judge this device after 48hrs. After that period what I heard from U16 wasn't acceptable.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #49 of 1,697
Most of electronics I buy with Mouser, Farnel, hificollective & audiophonics.

I had a HQPlayer demo and didn't like from user perspective. It's not so intuitive as JRiver. I may give another try if SQ is worth it.

New U16 controller give much more progress than any software or hardware with XMOS before. But need very long burn-in time. I recommend 2 weeks of 24h operation, so over 300h.
Ah, you had Abracon, I thought it was accusillicon LoL.

Any ideas how I could get this IIS to be compatible to lks004 ?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #53 of 1,697
The only thing refraining me to get the U16 is that I want to wait to see how new sinxger SU-6 performs.

Anyone using AES?. If so, what cable do you recommend?. I have a pair of XLR built by myself with oyaide plugs and silver occ cables, but I'm sure the impedance is not 110 Ohms.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #54 of 1,697
The only thing refraining me to get the U16 is that I want to wait to see how new sinxger SU-6 performs.

Anyone using AES?. If so, what cable do you recommend?. I have a pair of XLR built by myself with oyaide plugs and silver occ cables, but I'm sure the impedance is not 110 Ohms.
What DSP chip will SU-6 be using ? I can’t find info about it

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #55 of 1,697
What DSP chip will SU-6 be using ? I can’t find info about it
Same as SU-1. Changes are related to clocks and power.

O1CN01RoQxH11ZL6mHkmqxn_!!156213177.png

O1CN01TX4meg1ZL6mCDRsgv_!!156213177.jpg

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #59 of 1,697
I could bet that my modded SU-1 wont be worst than SU-6. Actually I think should be even better.

In this comparison U16 sounds better than my modded SU-1, so...
No doubt! DSP chip is very important and in this case ES-Sabres ! I love ESS overall. Modifications can help, but ultimately the DSP is the core of it ( I realized this by comparison between Amanero Vs Xmos)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #60 of 1,697
Nothing is OT if it is all related to one another. May I know where you source and buy your Abracon ? Source is even more important than the Bridge and the DAC itself. When the source is not up to Par, regardless of what you throw at it, it would sound like ....

You know, chicken poop in = chicken poop out....there is no chicken poop in and chicken soup out...Nope!

Anyways, try the HQPlayer. I had purchased most software and I can say that Jriver is pretty bad at Upsampling ...only so so in playing back Native DSD. There is also another saying, hardware is only the bone and the body, software is the soul of it. So, without a good program, it will be just...souless
Agree, I find Linux OS very nice - I have Euphony OS which os Linux kernel and it plays DSD256 really nicely. I think DXD also has improved. I cannot upsample (using HQplayer embedded) since my current Macbook is too weak, so I may be able to do that later with an upgraded computer. I am looking for a good way to do M-ch DSD that is not too costly but find none. Gustard-U16 may potentially be able to link 3 DACs by using 3 of them + a master clock input. DSD surround is superb, from my experience with SACD, beats the best 2-Ch DSD256 as the sound stage becomes so natural and instruments perfectly placed, But it is frustrating that I can't do M-ch on my M-ch DSD files, Exasound DAC that costs $3800 is only one affordable for M-Ch DSD but I am cheap, really want something less costly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back