Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 25, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #3,496 of 3,700
Breeze for sure - get the Talema upgrade when ordering.

+1 Second that.

Breeze +1

About the breeze and the tcxos it uses, there is a bit of info on ebay. Says jitter is -130db at 1kz. So, in my understanding, changing the tcxos to ndk or crystek should improve bass response.

I contacted diyinhk to ask if they would be interested in selling ndks on adapters. You never know.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #3,497 of 3,700
Breeze +1

The Breeze is tempting at the price.

One or two reports of it being on the slightly warm/ organic side is putting me off though. The same thing is said about Supra's USB cable and it only lasted a few hours in my set up. My speakers are a little on the warm side, hence the preference for a DDC with an airy signature.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #3,498 of 3,700
I may have missed it but did anyone try the Corning USB > converter > Remedy lineup? I use the Remedy between my Chromecast Audio and Audio-Gd Reference 5 and it makes a tremendous difference. Considering the Breeze and it sure would be handy to just have to get the Corning then run both inputs into the Remedy.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #3,499 of 3,700

One or two reports of it being on the slightly warm/ organic side is putting me off though. The same thing is said about Supra's USB cable and it only lasted a few hours in my set up. My speakers are a little on the warm side, hence the preference for a DDC with an airy signature.

Well, indeed I think it is rather on the warm side. But in a good way. It still has very good highs. 

Not sure trying to fix tonal balance with a ddc is the way to go. Once jitter is eliminated, you are left with the best signal possible, might not be the balance you wish for. I prefer swapping interconnects. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,500 of 3,700
  Well, indeed I think it is rather on the warm side. But in a good way. It still has very good highs. 

Not sure trying to fix tonal balance with a ddc is the way to go. Once jitter is eliminated, you are left with the best signal possible, might not be the balance you wish for. I prefer swapping interconnects. 

I totally take what you say but I'd still rather a DDC that isn't warm (good way or not). Will keep an eye out on this thread for other recommendations (with HDMI output) 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,502 of 3,700
Breeze +1

About the breeze and the tcxos it uses, there is a bit of info on ebay. Says jitter is -130db at 1kz. So, in my understanding, changing the tcxos to ndk or crystek should improve bass response.

I contacted diyinhk to ask if they would be interested in selling ndks on adapters. You never know.

Yes I agree!  NDK SD's on std 14 DIP adapter would be a winner.  I hope you're successful.  I can't believe Crystek doesn't either.

The clocks you see in all these Chinese DDC's are OEM JYEC clocks - if you order enough I guess they'll print your companies logo on the cover.

I have used the Vanguard version of these in other mod projects.  Not quite sure if the 'gold' version is any different the the Gustard U12 'silver' version.
I have seen -125db and -130db @1Khz quoted - it would be nice to get readings at different frequenices - or a plot.  Interested to the the 100Hz and 10kHz numbers.

http://www.chinafronter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/VCTCXO-SMD5032新.pdf
This one looks different - but is Chinese TXCO these are the readings:
-115db@100Hz
-135db@1kHz
-148db@10kHz

I believe it comes in three versions, with various degrees of stability: 0.5+-ppm, 1.0+-ppm, 2.0+-ppm

All very good numbers for stability - but as with all crystals they will degrade over time and decease in stability.

also voltage variations and tempurature changes will cause variations.  So best to keep you DDC running and 'warm' and use high quality power supplies and filtering

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,503 of 3,700
  If i may insert a shameless plug,my Breeze is up for sale.It is indeed an astonishing DDC and it totally transformed my M51 and HQ Ref,but i like my DSD collection too much and i don't have an I2S source.I will replace it with an Intona,which could be a step backwards.

You can run DSD files with a PCM converter over SPDIF or AES.  Most DSD releases are PCM conversions anyway.

PS Do you have the Talema version?

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #3,504 of 3,700
  yesterday I made another software tweak and the result is as big as changing to the DXIO. I put my audio PC from GUI mode to Core more and voila, music sounded so transparent.

its like DXIO has been upgraded another step up. another tweaks that I am looking at is changing the network bridge to PPA. http://ppaproduct.blogspot.my/

Nice!  Any step by step?  Foobar?

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3,505 of 3,700

You will LOVE the DIYinHK DXIO Pro3a! - if you can live with SPDIF only.  The PUC2 Lite would be in that camp as well - AES only.  The DXIO has another layer of detail and transparency over the Breeze - which is several layers better then the Gustard.

The DXIO needs a decent power supply.

Which USB cable?  The LightSpeed 2G is a pretty good stepup over the Supra in transparency as well.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #3,506 of 3,700

I totally take what you say but I'd still rather a DDC that isn't warm (good way or not). Will keep an eye out on this thread for other recommendations (with HDMI output) 
regular_smile%20.gif

I would not characterize the Breeze unit as "warm" as in slightly rolled off highs and a mid-bass bump as some headphones have. That definitely does not apply here. The "tonality" is very balanced top to bottom with excellent freq extention. I think the key component in your own system (as far as matching) will be your DAC. Speakers should not make much difference at all. All said, the only way you will know for sure is to try a few out. My hunch is you will be plenty happy with either the Breeze or DXIO. Although you may very well prefer the sound of the DXIO after some critical listening. 

Which DAC are you using?

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,509 of 3,700

You can run DSD files with a PCM converter over SPDIF or AES.  Most DSD releases are PCM conversions anyway.

PS Do you have the Talema version?

Yes,i bought a Talema version last year.Unfortunately DSD to PCM is way too inferior in my experience and the definitive digital versions of many albums are on SACD.My latest DAC,Teac UD-503 supports DOP over SPDIF and Optical as well,but the Breeze doesn't.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #3,510 of 3,700
  Yes,i bought a Talema version last year.Unfortunately DSD to PCM is way too inferior in my experience and the definitive digital versions of many albums are on SACD.My latest DAC,Teac UD-503 supports DOP over SPDIF and Optical as well,but the Breeze doesn't.

Really -  no DOP over SPDIF?  Even for DSD64?  Usually with XMOS based USB devices you need i2s for DSD128 and DSD256.

Are you burning your SACD's as DSD files?

This is what I did - used my APL DAC NWOjr to play the SACDs to analog outputs - that went to a ProAudio ADC (Analog to digital converter) Using the EMU1616M (excellent 32bit AKM ADCs) that I recorded at 32 bit 176K PCM using Wavelab 6.0.  The results were excellent.  I have a few albums in Redbood, SACD(recorded to ultra high PCM)and vinyl (very high end analog rig (like $25K)) digitalized the same way.  No doubt Vinyl is 1st, SACD 2nd, Redbook 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back