Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 5, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #3,196 of 3,700
No,   just using to isolate network noise from streaming pc.....

I had to cancel the Acoustic Revive rli-1. I needed the 1 gigabit version which is 50% more expensive and hard to find. The rli-1 only has 2 out of 4 wire pairs since it is a 100 megabit/s device. The rj45 i2s connection uses the 4 pairs.

I have ordered this instead:

https://www.reichelt.com/EMO-EN-70E/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=145550&artnr=EMO+EN-70E&SEARCH=network+isolator

It contains basically just one high-bandwith isolaton transformer per pair of wires, 4 in total, nothing else. These transformer must be very expensive!

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #3,197 of 3,700
  Looking forward to A-gd DI-U8 vs Breeze 
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

Nice!  Me too
popcorn.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,198 of 3,700

Nice!  Me too
popcorn.gif

I still own the DI-V2014. I mostly use the optical input, which is a very handy feature for me and that none of the competition seems to have [which makes it a keeper].
However, the USB implementation [USB32], while different and slightly better than the stock Gustard, does not sound as good as the Breeze IMO.
It is less smooth up top and does not extend to the sub-bass as well. Very detailed and articulate but just too bright for my blood.
I assume this will be greatly improved thanks to the XMOS in the  DI-U8, which I always found more to my liking than the USB32 but whether it can match the Breeze or surpass it even, remains to be heard
biggrin.gif
 And it won't have it easy 
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,199 of 3,700
Just ordered a second TeraDak DC-30W - this one for the DXIO Pro3a or Remedy - haven't decided which.  But noticed it has different caps (looks like better and larger Pannie FM's) and a slightly different layout.  The little blue voltage adjustment is there.  This one was advertised as a 10V for the Weiss int203.  Dual regulators - vs just one.  It was $129 plus $22 for shipping.

Any chance you could do a shoot out from the "first gen" DC-30W?

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,200 of 3,700
  I still own the DI-V2014. I mostly use the optical input, which is a very handy feature for me and that none of the competition seems to have [which makes it a keeper].
However, the USB implementation [USB32], while different and slightly better than the stock Gustard, does not sound as good as the Breeze IMO.
It is less smooth up top and does not extend to the sub-bass as well. Very detailed and articulate but just too bright for my blood.
I assume this will be greatly improved thanks to the XMOS in the  DI-U8, which I always found more to my liking than the USB32 but whether it can match the Breeze or surpass it even, remains to be heard
biggrin.gif
 And it won't have it easy 
wink.gif

That new DU-I8 is definitely on my 'to try' list - maybe right after the PUC2 Lite makes makes an appearance here for a little face-off.

If you can a few detailed photos of the audio clocks on the DU-I8 would be great.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #3,201 of 3,700
Any chance you could do a shoot out from the "first gen" DC-30W?

Yes will do - before doing the cap modding (this version may not need that with Pannie FM's already in place).

I have been running the smaller TeraDak X1/X2 on the DXIO (using the 5VDC USB plug on the X1 and the wonderful 2G split cable power leg plugged in there) - sounds very, very good.  I needed the DC-30W back in my office system to power the Remedy.  And no need to do the plug - unplug routine.  I'll put this in the LPS shootout as well.  It'll get the better caps mod too.

The DXIO Pro3a is really blooming now - super sweet and musical and uber detailed.  This is one killer great DDC.

FWI There is a 2meter 2G cable listed on Audiogon for a decent price.  If you need a long USB cable this is a great choice.  Listed for $175

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,203 of 3,700
I had to cancel the Acoustic Revive rli-1. I needed the 1 gigabit version which is 50% more expensive and hard to find. The rli-1 only has 2 out of 4 wire pairs since it is a 100 megabit/s device. The rj45 i2s connection uses the 4 pairs.

I have ordered this instead:

https://www.reichelt.com/EMO-EN-70E/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=145550&artnr=EMO+EN-70E&SEARCH=network+isolator

It contains basically just one high-bandwith isolaton transformer per pair of wires, 4 in total, nothing else. These transformer must be very expensive!

Let us know how it works out.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #3,204 of 3,700
I assume this will be greatly improved thanks to the XMOS in the  DI-U8, which I always found more to my liking than the USB32 but whether it can match the Breeze or surpass it even, remains to be heard :D  And it won't have it easy :wink:  

Agreed. The Breeze outclassed the di2014 within 8 hours of breaking-in in my setup, which surprised me, to say the least. I expected it to be better but not so much so. I also will keep the di2014 for reclocking purposes (oppo 103 cd/dvd/br spinner). It is excellent at it.

I expect it to be a close match between the breeze and the di-u8. The first stage of power filtering is better on the di-u8, but the clock are perhaps better on the breeze. So it should be very close. The di-u8 is of higher quality, better components in general and better chassis but the breeze is a simpler design since it only does one thing, that helps.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,206 of 3,700

Yes will do - before doing the cap modding (this version may not need that with Pannie FM's already in place).

I have been running the smaller TeraDak X1/X2 on the DXIO (using the 5VDC USB plug on the X1 and the wonderful 2G split cable power leg plugged in there) - sounds very, very good.  I needed the DC-30W back in my office system to power the Remedy.  And no need to do the plug - unplug routine.  I'll put this in the LPS shootout as well.  It'll get the better caps mod too.

The DXIO Pro3a is really blooming now - super sweet and musical and uber detailed.  This is one killer great DDC.

FWI There is a 2meter 2G cable listed on Audiogon for a decent price.  If you need a long USB cable this is a great choice.  Listed for $175

you can consider the custom made DC power supply, which uses the R-core and similar DC topology at a lower costs. if interested, pm me for details.

the custom made power supply can be configured with multiple output (12V for CAS, 5V for clock/PPA/USB card, 5V for DXIO, another 12/9V for future). below is the dedicated power with isolation tranny for the 4 dedicated DC group.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3,207 of 3,700
Agreed. The Breeze outclassed the di2014 within 8 hours of breaking-in in my setup, which surprised me, to say the least. I expected it to be better but not so much so. I also will keep the di2014 for reclocking purposes (oppo 103 cd/dvd/br spinner). It is excellent at it.

I expect it to be a close match between the breeze and the di-u8. The first stage of power filtering is better on the di-u8, but the clock are perhaps better on the breeze. So it should be very close. The di-u8 is of higher quality, better components in general and better chassis but the breeze is a simpler design since it only does one thing, that helps.

Well I will be doing a clock upgrade mod on the Breeze to totl Crystek CCHD-957 and may try the NDK SD's as well.  But mounting those little guys on a DIP14 adapter is like doing brain surgery.   I do like the strong attention to power supply filtering and regulation on the DI-U8, and the use of an R-core transformer (they tend to have better PSRR then the torodial kind)  But the Breeze is no slouch there either using the excellent LDO LM2941 in not just one, but in a dual stage configuration.

Should be an interesting match up.  One note the Breeze is very sensitive to a good power cord - so I would try it with something better then the $5 stock one.
The total cost of a $250 power cord like the Cerious Graphene Xtreme and the $150 for the Talema Breeze is more, but not by a large margin then the DI-U8 alone.

PS I just read this on the Audio-gd website:
 Two model coaxial outputs * :
             BNC (Applied Current Conveyor Technology,support up to 16 / 24-Bit , 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz)*
             RCA (Transformer  Transmit insulate ,support up to 16 / 24-Bit , 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz with most DACs )

*     The Current conveyor output can cooperate with most standard design DACs in world but some DACs can't cooperate . The transmit insulate model output can cooperate with all standard design DACs.

So you can try with both outputs, even with a SPDIF RCA digital cable.  Just need a BNC to RCA adapter.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #3,208 of 3,700

you can consider the custom made DC power supply, which uses the R-core and similar DC topology at a lower costs. if interested, pm me for details.

the custom made power supply can be configured with multiple output (12V for CAS, 5V for clock/PPA/USB card, 5V for DXIO, another 12/9V for future). below is the dedicated power with isolation tranny for the 4 dedicated DC group.

Nice!  How much for the parts for a two voltage version?  $100?

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #3,209 of 3,700
Well I will be doing a clock upgrade mod on the Breeze to totl Crystek CCHD-957 and may try the NDK SD's as well.  But mounting those little guys on a DIP14 adapter is like doing brain surgery.   I do like the strong attention to power supply filtering and regulation on the DI-U8, and the use of an R-core transformer (they tend to have better PSRR then the torodial kind)  But the Breeze is no slouch there either using the excellent LDO LM2941 in not just one, but in a dual stage configuration.

Should be an interesting match up.  One note the Breeze is very sensitive to a good power cord - so I would try it with something better then the $5 stock one.
The total cost of a $250 power cord like the Cerious Graphene Xtreme and the $150 for the Talema Breeze is more, but not by a large margin then the DI-U8 alone.

PS I just read this on the Audio-gd website:

So you can try with both outputs, even with a SPDIF RCA digital cable.  Just need a BNC to RCA adapter.

Well about soldering the clocks, in case you would not know, you can use some flux like this, in a syringe with a tinyer tip:

http://www.amazon.ca/MG-Chemicals-Corrosive-Conductive-Residue/dp/B0080X79HG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452053516&sr=8-1&keywords=Flux

I makes the tin stick very quicly wherever you put the flux. I am about to assemble some xlr cables and just ordered some tonight, in bottle.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3,210 of 3,700

Nice!  How much for the parts for a two voltage version?  $100?

probably doable, but without delivery costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back