Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jul 17, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #2,042 of 3,700
Wow lotsa info. i didn't even know about the hydra-z till i saw this. Now here's my question, given my current setup (iphone via CCK >>(USB) >> Schitt Wyrd >> Yulong D200 >> (XLR) >> Gustard H10), if i got a U12 would it improve the sound quality much? at all? (I would be using the U12 to the D200 via AES, since the D200 doesnt have I2S). 

How about the Hydra-Z? the price for that is kinda crazy though... at that pricepoint i might as well spend a lil more and buy the Gustard X20

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #2,043 of 3,700
  Hydra z suckers!!!This is Gustard topic!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for moderating my thread. Cheers!
wink_face.gif

PS Weren't you just posting pictures of the Tanly on a Gustard thread?  Just sayn'

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #2,044 of 3,700
  The one thing I can't find out about the Hydra-Z is what the pinout is for the I2s over HDMI;  just"Adjustable I2S output clock polarity, to match all HDMI/I2S/LVDS dacs available" and some additional info in the manual.  No diagrams or anything to explain in greater detail.

That's a good question - will have to research that one a bit more.  It sounds like it adjusts the pinouts to the DAC?

Wow lotsa info. i didn't even know about the hydra-z till i saw this. Now here's my question, given my current setup (iphone via CCK >>(USB) >> Schitt Wyrd >> Yulong D200 >> (XLR) >> Gustard H10), if i got a U12 would it improve the sound quality much? at all? (I would be using the U12 to the D200 via AES, since the D200 doesnt have I2S). 

How about the Hydra-Z? the price for that is kinda crazy though... at that pricepoint i might as well spend a lil more and buy the Gustard X20

I think the U12 would be a setup at low cost.  The Hydra Z into the X20 will likely be better then directly into the X20 (superior USB processing).  The Z into the D200 could be an in between step.  With either the U12 or the Z - the Wyrd would not be needed.  So you could sell that to raise some funds.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #2,046 of 3,700
rb 2013 you are one hydra fun right?

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,047 of 3,700
Is the beauty of this device, Xmos, dedicated to usb use only?

Well it uses a different USB decoding chip then the U12/MX-U8/Tanly which use the XMOS.  Not that the XMOS is necessarily bad - in fact Berkeley Audio Design use it in their $1800 sota USB bridge.  Albeit with excellent PS filtering.  In the past pages here much has been written about the BADA USB interface - so I won't rehash all that.  But here is a picture to confirm what I'm saying.

The 'dirty' and 'clean' sides are both isolated by a chip. The lettering on the chip was removed, but I’m pretty sure this is the ADuM* chip, isolating the I2S lines between the XMOS chip and the SPDIF output.​
*The ADuM chips are digital isolators based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology. Combining high speed CMOS and monolithic transformer technologies, these isolation components provide outstanding performance characteristics superior to alternatives, such as optocouplers.​

But the design of the Z is unique and may even be superior to the BADA USB (especially when fed by the ZPM).  I wish it was part of this shootout - strange to have left it out.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

Now note that much different PS system in the BADA then the Tanly - but there are some similarities.  Many say it's that unique chip implementation for I2S isolation (under the red line) and the very high quality digital transformers that make the BADA shine.

In any event in lieu of the XMOS chip the Z uses:
As though to underscore his engineering credentials, Nicolae's €699 Hydra X+ under his second lower-tier brand Audiobyte performs its battery-powered USB bridge functions with a custom-coded Xilinx Spartan 6 as another FPGA custom job. To it he adds premium Crystek clocks and I²S output via HDMI. The Hydra X1 is thus direct competition for Audiophilleo and SOtM. Obviously the upscale WaveDream DAC gets the same proprietary USB solution, not a generic M2Tech, XMOS, Amanero & Co module. But our DAC get a lot more that's not off the rack. This includes selectable digital filters written by Jitariu's team. Those exploit 15 GMACS of processing power from 58 DSP blocks and "avoid standard Nyquist rate filters" in favour of "an advanced 2000-tap convolution filter created from a Parks-McClellan equiripple combined with a raised cosine type". Even his Femtovox clocking scheme is different*. The linear power supplies get three transformers and 20 linear regulators "designed from scratch for low impedance and ultra-low noise".

Now note the use in their DAC of 20 linear regulators!  The advantage of the MX-U8 over the U12 is the greater use and better quality of the linear regulators and PS filters.  Including a more sophisticated group for each clock.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,048 of 3,700

Well it uses a different USB decoding chip then the U12/MX-U8/Tanly which use the XMOS.  Not that the XMOS is necessarily bad - in fact Berkeley Audio Design use it in their $1800 sota USB bridge.  Albeit with excellent PS filtering.  In the past pages here much has been written about the BADA USB interface - so I won't rehash all that.  But here is a picture to confirm what I'm saying.

But the design of the Z is unique and may even be superior to the BADA USB (especially when fed by the ZPM).  I wish it was part of this shootout - strange to have left it out.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

Now note that much different PS system in the BADA then the Tanly - but there are some similarities.  Many say it's that unique chip implementation for I2S isolation (under the red line) and the very high quality digital transformers that make the BADA shine.

In any event in lieu of the XMOS chip the Z uses:

Now note the use in their DAC of 20 linear regulators!  The advantage of the MX-U8 over the U12 is the greater use and better quality of the linear regulators and PS filters.  Including a more sophisticated group for each clock.

Hello all,

I've contacted distributor AudioByte Hydra-Z and asked them for a demo, to compare with my MX-U8.
Since i have holiday till 24th of August (between changing jobs) I have lots of spare time to compare 
wink_face.gif

Hope they will contact me soon.

About my "Monster" MX-U8:

It's still gaining in SQ, as be it not as much as in the first 200 hours.

I'm VERY happy with it, worth every penny! Instruments never sounded this kind of natural with full body, all details, richness, very very authentic.
There's no recording I own that doesn't sound completely new to me, tons of detail with a naturalness never heard before.

Curious how it wil keep-up in comparison with Hydra-Z (which looks VERY promising to me btw).

Regards,

Alex

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #2,049 of 3,700
Several people have had strange issues connecting the Hydra-Z HDMI I2S to the AGD Master 7. Low distorted volume levels was the complaint. Could not figure it out looking at scope pictures and Hydra-Z as well.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #2,050 of 3,700

Hi,  well so far I much prefer the MX-U8.  I have another U12 I just bought (my third - as I sold my other two original units after hearing the MX-U8), I want to try and mod it some more and see the results.

My MX-U8's have greater detail and a more incisive presentation - while remaining supremely musical and smooth.  The bass is very extended and well defined - the treble clear and transparent with absolutely no hint of glare or etch.  Tonally, they transmit a rich natural tone.  The sound staging is deep and holographic - more so then the U12.  Note I have two of the U8's one with Nichicon Fine Gold caps and the other with Nichicon HWs.  Otherwise they are stock.  I added dedicated power supply filtering on each (
Common Mode and Differential Mode), this did improve the clarity and transparency.  The U12's sound very good - but a bit veiled compared to the U8's in my systems.   Second note my three systems are very highly evolved - with high end sources, advanced designed music servers, and refined amps and speakers (and HP's in my third system HD800/Moon Black Dragon V2 cable).  So changes become very noticeable and distinct. 

With these units I have now tried 10 different DDC USB interfaces (see the beginning of the thread for the list) - without a doubt the U8's are amazing and hands down beat every other DDC I have owned.  They are not the best in terms of QC - but have very good components (Talema trans, Murata IT, etc...) and design (multiple layers of highly regulated and filtered PS).  I have not had the BADA or the Hydra X+ yet.

have you compared the modded u8 vs tanly ?

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,051 of 3,700
Several people have had strange issues connecting the Hydra-Z HDMI I2S to the AGD Master 7. Low distorted volume levels was the complaint. Could not figure it out looking at scope pictures and Hydra-Z as well.

i had channel swap using the hydra i2s with an x12 dac, but i haven't opened up the hydra to play with the its i2s options yet.

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #2,052 of 3,700
I haven't been able to comb through this long thread about this "feature", but I think I remember someone asking if the U12 outputs simultaneously through multiple digital outputs.

I can confirm that the Gustard U12 does output an AES and SPDIF Coax digital signal simultaneously to two different DACs at the same time.

Now does the MX-U8 also do this?  I was hoping that the U12 didn't do it so I had a mental excuse to buy the MX-U8 as well...but the U12 does! 

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,053 of 3,700
  have you compared the modded u8 vs tanly ?

No - As I stated here a few times.  I won't spend $600 with no guarantee at all - not even if it's DOA.  Not after my experiences with the MX-U8's.

I think I might buy a Hydra Z though - if I can find one around that price.  Then add a Tera Dak linear PS. I sure once the Z+ is released there will be few around at good prices.

At least I would be certain of support.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301688490460?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2,054 of 3,700

Hello all,

I've contacted distributor AudioByte Hydra-Z and asked them for a demo, to compare with my MX-U8.
Since i have holiday till 24th of August (between changing jobs) I have lots of spare time to compare 
wink_face.gif

Hope they will contact me soon.

About my "Monster" MX-U8:

It's still gaining in SQ, as be it not as much as in the first 200 hours.

I'm VERY happy with it, worth every penny! Instruments never sounded this kind of natural with full body, all details, richness, very very authentic.
There's no recording I own that doesn't sound completely new to me, tons of detail with a naturalness never heard before.

Curious how it wil keep-up in comparison with Hydra-Z (which looks VERY promising to me btw).

Regards,

Alex

That would be interesting!  Have them send you a ZPM as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back