Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Apr 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #1,261 of 3,700
I've tried both AES and COAX from the U12 using MIT cables and can't say there's much of a difference between them.
The background is very slightly blacker with AES but I'd be more than happy with either output option.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #1,262 of 3,700
the aes is bland, more 2d with a gray background, coax a bit more chubby, but i've gone back to the i2s, as it is more 'wet'. i'll build a second ported sub to bolster the bass output (using the x units not with hp but as a system wide dac, with 'gunned' magnepan mmg mains, lab 15 sub driver in a 7.5ft3 ported enclosure). i'm sold on the x units detail, image cohesiveness and that big wide soundstage.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,263 of 3,700
Hey folks,

I'm running into a small issue with my U12 and I was hoping someone could help.

Basically, I've been running it for about a week using coax and AES into a vintage DAC (Adcom GDA-600).  As long as I keep the source below 48k, it works great.

Well I got a new Vintage DAC and plugged in the coax and it can't lock onto the digital signal.  However, when I use the coax out from my Fiio X5, it works just fine.  Same cord, same input, same files, different transport.  If I plug the Gustard into my NFB-28 or GDA-600, works fine.

Can you guys think of anything that might be causing the coax output to be wonky in any way?  Any settings I can tweak on the drivers to help?  I'm using the modded WaveIO driver.

I'm still in the 30-day return window with Amazon, but I'd rather not have to return it if I don't have to...

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,267 of 3,700
Has anyone tried to connect mx-u8 to audio gd dacs?

I am pretty sure i have the right cable and configuration on both sides of the cable but cant seem to make connection between my master 7 and mx-u8.

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,272 of 3,700
  Hey folks,

I'm running into a small issue with my U12 and I was hoping someone could help.

Basically, I've been running it for about a week using coax and AES into a vintage DAC (Adcom GDA-600).  As long as I keep the source below 48k, it works great.

Well I got a new Vintage DAC and plugged in the coax and it can't lock onto the digital signal.  However, when I use the coax out from my Fiio X5, it works just fine.  Same cord, same input, same files, different transport.  If I plug the Gustard into my NFB-28 or GDA-600, works fine.

Can you guys think of anything that might be causing the coax output to be wonky in any way?  Any settings I can tweak on the drivers to help?  I'm using the modded WaveIO driver.

I'm still in the 30-day return window with Amazon, but I'd rather not have to return it if I don't have to...

Try using the regular driver. I use it [a small CD should have come with the U12, containing the OG driver]. Worth a shot!

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,273 of 3,700
Try using the regular driver. I use it [a small CD should have come with the U12, containing the OG driver]. Worth a shot!
The disk that came with mine appears to be blank.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,274 of 3,700
  Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't get i2s with rj45 jacks to work between master 7 and mx-u8, coaxial works, but I don't think it's as good as master 7's internal usb.

The MX-U8 and M7 have different RJ45 pin assignments.. you need to order the MX-U8 configured for M7 or M7 configured for MX-U8 or maybe construct a crossover cable...
I ordered a MX-U8 compatible with a M7 (I sent SZ Audio the pin assignments published on the Audio-GD website) but not yet received the M7 to try...

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,275 of 3,700
Has anyone tried to connect mx-u8 to audio gd dacs?

I am pretty sure i have the right cable and configuration on both sides of the cable but cant seem to make connection between my master 7 and mx-u8.

Oh.. sorry for the last post if this above infers you made a crossover cable... I think this i2S connection is pretty sensitive to faults appearing due to connecting with one or both sides while the device is powered on.. maybe some current was inadvertently applied while connecting the cable?

If you could get a crossover style cable to work with either the U12 or MX-U8, I think that would be fantastic to have a reasonably priced XMOS option for Audio-GD..  I had a Audio-GD DI-V3 which had very good SQ - but did not work optimally with JPlay which is my preferred software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back