Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #3,272 of 3,700
  Many thanks,  purchased the 2G,  breaking in now and no regrets!!!!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Hello guys!
First of all sry for bad english, its not my native language..

I would like to ask some advice. 
I got a Cambridge 651R avr and Canton Vento 870.2 speakers. I think they can sounding well, but im obsessed to use my computer as source for music.
For my last speaker and spotify using the integrated soundcard was ok for daily music, but i want something better.
And i want to listend some better stuff like flac or something. I think my integrated stuff is the weak point in my system. (realtek stuff from Gigabyte Z97-N gaming 5, using toslink)

Now im thinking about a this Gustard U12. i would use it for my computer and would send the signal for my 651R through Gustard U12.Is it ok or should i buy some other dac, maybe just a soundcard like Essence STX. (Other stuff which i like is the IFI Nano iDSD)
Is Gustard compatible with Win 10 or should i go back to Win7?

Thanks

I would definitely go with a Breeze and Talema - best bang for the buck!

Hi Coolrob.

None of these units are OS dependent as far as I know. Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 will all work fine. You should go with a Breeze DU-U8 with Talema tranformer. Much better than the Gustard. Nobody really talks about the Gustard any more.

I got mine here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262010528369?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Talema transformer is $20 additional.

Hopefully this translates.

What he said

You can get it directly from Breeze Audio on Aliexpress. I got the Talema transformer version for $128 shipped via DHL Express. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Breeze-audio-Best-pure-USB-decoder-XMOS-U8-DU-U8-DAC-Asynchronous-USB-coax-fiber-XMOS/331129_32499738639.html

Simply amazing deal - be sure they send the correct voltage version.  English can be a challenge in communication.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,273 of 3,700
  With all the mods done to my U12, it's bound to have a probllem at some point. That was last night when I was upgrading from Pulse to Murata power transformers.  I should of left well alone. I don't use Coax that often as it sounds inferior to HDMI i2s. Although I removed the pulse and in place had installed a DA101C. At first it was fine, but I wasn't happy with my soldering job as it wasn't neat... my picky ass decided to remove the component and replace it with a new. In the process I buggered the pcb...so no more coax for me. :frowning2:

at least my HDMI i2s works flawlessly.

I'm going to do the last mod on this U12... have a Belleson Superpower voltage regulator, which is several steps up in performance above the infamous Class D Dexa Regulator!!!
The specs of the Belleson are amazing,and others should seriously consider these! 

"The Superpower regulator is a high performance voltage regulator with a novel circuit design (U.S. Patent 8,294,440) to internally power its reference circuit with its own regulated output. A floating reference allows any output voltage from 1.2V (SPLV) to 30V (SPM, SP and SPJ), 100V (SPHP), 400V (SPHV) with low noise, low output impedance, high current (10A with SPHP) and fast transient response in a compact circuit that fits a standard IC footprint (except SPHP/SPHV). Optimum load transient response is obtained with a 100μF or more capacitor connected to Vout. Superpower delivers current to a load with a clean dynamic waveform with minimum ringing or overshoot and settles quickly. Superpower works best without a pre-regulator, because a pre-regulator increases overall drop out requirements and may limit the dynamic current available to the load. With a footprint to match industry standard TO-220 monolithic regulators, Superpower can be easily retrofit into existing systems or designed into new systems for maximum performance."

➢ Wide Vout range from 1.2V to 400V
➢ Very low noise
➢ Exceptionally fast transient response
➢ Output currents of 225mA, 500mA, 2A, 10A
➢ Very low output impedance
➢ Self powered bootstrapped reference
➢ Low drop-out voltage
➢ Available as positive or negative output ➢ LM78xx, LM79xx and LM317 pin out ➢ No pre-regulator needed 

more info - tons of details to show it's ultra low noise and ripple rejection is stellar. The original belleson superpower wasn't too great, but this is their new much improved MK2 model that should hold up to it's claims. I will at least give it a shot and test it out.

http://belleson.com/download/Superpower_datasheet.pdf

SPJ78 is the model i ordered.

Man sorry to hear that - do you use a solder sucker?  Highly recommended. The Murata's are better, which I once doubted as Auralic used the Pulses in their sweet $3500 DAC the Vega (BTW another totl sota DAC with no i2s
wink_face.gif
-but with two SPDIF coax inputs).  The Breeze and DXIO use the Murata's.

I am interested in this Bellson reg upgrade - I know b0bb had recommended that a while ago.  If I remember they were not cheap - how much are the ones for the u12?

Please post pictures of you mod - before and after.

Good luck!

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,274 of 3,700
Well said - that would be an interesting experiment.  The reason that the quality of the cable (and length 1.5m being optimal) and exact tolerance rca terminations are so important for great SPDIF coax performance is not necessarily the test measurement jitter of a clock - but the real world jitter and time domain cohesion of a system with less then perfect 75ohm impedance through out the chain.  Sub optimal impedance can create back-wave reflections that confuse the receiver chip.  This induces jitter.

But other influences as John Swenson of Uptone points out like 'packet noise' from USB PHY processing (like the old DC servo noise from the PLL laser tracking circuit in CD players). This noise can pollute the digital systems power supply.  As Swenson points out regarding his measurements of USB processing induced 'packet noise' - it can even jump through isolators - even magnetic and optical ones.  The noise inter modulates with the data signal.   Very hard to isolate.  His solution with the Regen - besides the reclocking was exacting impedance matching.  Extreme care in the multi layer board design - direct coupling of the Regen to the USB DDC/DAC, etc...

Yes. I agree and found the last paragraph very interesting.. Changing playback softawre or OS has an impact on sound as well. I would guess it has to do mostly with the noise that the ddc or computer generates, which depends on how busy the CPUs and usb ports are, and on how noisy the hardware is in general. As a matter of fact, adding ram or an ssd to a mac mini makes the sound more relaxed. The fan controller is a huge source of noise as well (pulsed tension).. A kit is offered for the mini to remedy to that. And at last, the smps is also an important source of noise can also be replaced by a linear supply. To sum it up, each element of the chain matters and is likely to make a different, especially with a transparent setup downstream.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #3,275 of 3,700
Yes. I agree and found the last paragraph very interesting.. Changing playback softawre or OS has an impact on sound as well. I would guess it has to do mostly with the noise that the ddc or computer generates, which depends on how busy the CPUs and usb ports are, and on how noisy the hardware is in general. As a matter of fact, adding ram or an ssd to a mac mini makes the sound more relaxed. The fan controller is a huge source of noise as well (pulsed tension).. A kit is offered for the mini to remedy to that. And at last, the smps is also an important source of noise can also be replaced by a linear supply. To sum it up, each element of the chain matters and is likely to make a different, especially with a transparent setup downstream.

Yes, that's why my music servers are dedicated, and never connected to the internet. All programs are uninstalled but the audio players, all extraneous processes shut down. Very low noise high ripple rejection fanless power supply (those PC LPS's are expensive). Filters on cpu and case low noise fans, filters on all WD Sata Black hd's, etc...

But these USB bridges really make a monumental difference.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #3,277 of 3,700
  I got my Breeze in the correct voltage at last. I have it working with 3.29 drivers on W10; if anyone is interested in these send me a PM.

What if any improvement to the music do you get in using an XMOS driver 2.26, 3.20 and 3.29?
Is it just higher configuration options including latency and output or is there a noticeable improvement in the signal quality?

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,279 of 3,700
  What if any improvement to the music do you get in using an XMOS driver 2.26, 3.20 and 3.29?
Is it just higher configuration options including latency and output or is there a noticeable improvement in the signal quality?

Some are full versions some only the driver.  The full suite has vol and bal control, as well as buffer settings.  Most of these XMOS DDC's (like the DXIO) require a device handshake - the Breeze does not - at least the ones I have.  That makes it very easy to set-up

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #3,280 of 3,700
is there any more impression on DXIO ? My unit will be in tomorrow and hopefully can report some impression here.

the Belleson PSRR looks impression and deserves a trial. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #3,281 of 3,700
I ordered a Talema Breeze last night and will test it with the AudioSensibility SE Silver Digital RCA as you recommended RB2013.

Also waiting on parts for the Crystek 957 upgrades to the DIU8.
looks like i'll likely be ordered more crystals for the Breeze at some point. I also want to figure out how to install an HDMI i2s kit for the Breeze...if possible. :/

The belleson is going to go into the U12 once I get that... and maybe will buy another one as i'm bummed about the Murata Swap going all wrong. I've got a lead on one that has most of my mods done to it, except linear power and the regulator. I will likely sell my modded one with COAX issue for real cheap and likely with the linear mod option, and dexa regulator. 

<Shrug> gotta do a test of all these eventually.
:D

I also ordered a dxio pro3a and then cancelled the order as I decided I have too many projects right now and wanted to wait for more impressions of the pro3a. Plus their tech support wasn't too helpful in getting HDMI i2s hooked up to it. It appears it has an i2s header on the pcb yet no photos shows it clearly enough to see what pins. Also dxio tech support told me the can't guarantee if that header on the board even works?! So odd they can't even know their own design well emough to say whether that funtions. Let alone could t tell me if it was an input or output... Which I'm pretty sure it's an output. They threatened me by saying the warranty is void if I open one up. As if I care :p but if anyome has opened theirs, can you check out that i2s marking on the pcb and figure it out? Also... Rb2013c are you about to let me check out the dxio pro3a sometime? I think I want to try it before dumping more money on the DDC fascination as of late.
Also all these mods are getting expensive...
Side note... What are your opinions on the crystek 575's?!? Why? Because they are more of a direct swap on the diu8 than crystek 957's! They appear to be very close in performance, almost exactly the same really. According to LKS they believe the 575's sound better than the 957's and are now using them in their Amanero combo 384 special USB boards. (Which I might add as being one of the best USB interfaces!) they were using crystek 957 as stock crystals, but recently stated they are going to 575's as with their testing they found them to be slightly better. That being said, I will order maybe two pairs, extras for backups.
I likely will still use 957's for the breeze. Going to do a bit more research on that this evening, seems it using the same frequencies as the diu8. I find it odd the u12 uses the doubled freq... Which perform better actually... Too bad that the breeze didn't use them too. Or the diu8.

In the end... Everyone is for sale except one DDC... So hopefully someone will want my ddc's. I will sell them in like new condition and some of them with desirable mods. :)

But what will be fun is the extensive testing Atomicbob and I will do on the diu8, breeze, u12 and on board audio gd implementation of Amanero combo 384.

Some real numbers will shed some light on the truth in ddc's :)

also will test the fun stuff like whether a cable swap makes a difference and in what regard.

It's becoming an expensive experiment but I hope it will be worth the effort in the end. And for my sake I just hope to sell the extra gear too! That is my biggest concern. My wife will wonder why I need a stack of DDC's. Hahaha: she already asked me why I'm using two right now (diu8 and u12). It looks kinda cluttered. Meh. At least she enjoys the technical side of things, she was with us while we were doing jitter testing in the u12's and fortunately understand quite a bit of the technical side too. She ought to, as she works for Boeing while doing complex electrical. Maybe I will ask her to swap the crystals in the next DDC :) haha

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #3,282 of 3,700
  I ordered a Talema Breeze last night and will test it with the AudioSensibility SE Silver Digital RCA as you recommended RB2013.

Also waiting on parts for the Crystek 957 upgrades to the DIU8.
looks like i'll likely be ordered more crystals for the Breeze at some point. I also want to figure out how to install an HDMI i2s kit for the Breeze...if possible. :/

The belleson is going to go into the U12 once I get that... and maybe will buy another one as i'm bummed about the Murata Swap going all wrong. I've got a lead on one that has most of my mods done to it, except linear power and the regulator. I will likely sell my modded one with COAX issue for real cheap and likely with the linear mod option, and dexa regulator. 

<Shrug> gotta do a test of all these eventually.
:D

I also ordered a dxio pro3a and then cancelled the order as I decided I have too many projects right now and wanted to wait for more impressions of the pro3a. Plus their tech support wasn't too helpful in getting HDMI i2s hooked up to it. It appears it has an i2s header on the pcb yet no photos shows it clearly enough to see what pins. Also dxio tech support told me the can't guarantee if that header on the board even works?! So odd they can't even know their own design well emough to say whether that funtions. Let alone could t tell me if it was an input or output... Which I'm pretty sure it's an output. They threatened me by saying the warranty is void if I open one up. As if I care :p but if anyome has opened theirs, can you check out that i2s marking on the pcb and figure it out? Also... Rb2013c are you about to let me check out the dxio pro3a sometime? I think I want to try it before dumping more money on the DDC fascination as of late.
Also all these mods are getting expensive...
Side note... What are your opinions on the crystek 575's?!? Why? Because they are more of a direct swap on the diu8 than crystek 957's! They appear to be very close in performance, almost exactly the same really. According to LKS they believe the 575's sound better than the 957's and are now using them in their Amanero combo 384 special USB boards. (Which I might add as being one of the best USB interfaces!) they were using crystek 957 as stock crystals, but recently stated they are going to 575's as with their testing they found them to be slightly better. That being said, I will order maybe two pairs, extras for backups.
I likely will still use 957's for the breeze. Going to do a bit more research on that this evening, seems it using the same frequencies as the diu8. I find it odd the u12 uses the doubled freq... Which perform better actually... Too bad that the breeze didn't use them too. Or the diu8.

In the end... Everyone is for sale except one DDC... So hopefully someone will want my ddc's. I will sell them in like new condition and some of them with desirable mods.
smily_headphones1.gif

But what will be fun is the extensive testing Atomicbob and I will do on the diu8, breeze, u12 and on board audio gd implementation of Amanero combo 384.

Some real numbers will shed some light on the truth in ddc's
smily_headphones1.gif

also will test the fun stuff like whether a cable swap makes a difference and in what regard.

It's becoming an expensive experiment but I hope it will be worth the effort in the end. And for my sake I just hope to sell the extra gear too! That is my biggest concern. My wife will wonder why I need a stack of DDC's. Hahaha: she already asked me why I'm using two right now (diu8 and u12). It looks kinda cluttered. Meh. At least she enjoys the technical side of things, she was with us while we were doing jitter testing in the u12's and fortunately understand quite a bit of the technical side too. She ought to, as she works for Boeing while doing complex electrical. Maybe I will ask her to swap the crystals in the next DDC
smily_headphones1.gif
haha

Your wife knows what a DDC is and does?  Smart gal - mine is absolutely clueless - I hope it stays that way.
wink_face.gif

She's just happy to not see a few dozen tubes laying around.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for your efforts here - as we can help others save a lot of time and money by sorting through these.  It's actually tedious at times - but the payoff has been huge.  Much bigger then I ever expected.

The 575's look good - no reason to not use them.  Their phase noise numbers are actually lower by a few db from 10hz to 10khz, and only slightly worse from 100khz to 1mhz.
They are much cheap in price - almost half at digikey.  If they're easier to mount definitely.  Interesting that Berkeley and Tanly use the 957 - wonder why?  But you are right the higher clock freq clocks used in the Gustard do show slightly better phase noise numbers.  The big difference of course is going from the OEM JYEC TXCO clocks to any of these Crysteks.

Certainly you can borrow the DXIO, but only after my PUC2 Lite loaner friend has a go.  In fact, I have been waiting to hear the mighty PUC2 Lite before buying a second DXIO.  Now fully broken in and sounding amazing.  In fact, the thought of taking the DXIO out of my main system is depressing...once you hear how addictingly good they are, it's hard to go backward.  I will keep my Breezes to experiment on with different clocks and caps.

I have rolled the three different LPS's with the DXIO - the latest TeraDak DC-30W with the larger caps is the clear winner - although the smaller X1/X2 with the FR caps is very close.  The sound seems grander - more dynamic.   The Pannie FR caps are in for the two DC-30W - so now will upgrade those as well.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #3,283 of 3,700

Is there an updated 3.x xmos driver for the U12 too ?

rb2013 got a puc2 too (full not lite). I think it's safe to say that in my setup it schits gustards :) .. and i have a thouroughly updated u12 with muratas, ndk clocks, no usb power, etc.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #3,284 of 3,700
Did some cheap usb cable comparison tonight: straightwire usb-link (i got it from Schiit audio for 20$) vs a-b systems mkII 6n (45$ from a website in hk that does not process my orders anymore).

To make the story short, the mkII washed the floor with the straightwire. I admit i did not burn the latter (brand-new). But the the difference is so big. The straightwire, although not bad, is so far behind that i doubt it stands any chance in the future. The second i reInstalled the mkII, the magic was back. I might give another chance to the straightwire after i brake it in my spartan office setup. The bass it so huge with the mkii. The stereo image is more accurate as well. The sound is fuller. Looking at the 2 cables, it is obviously not the same built quality, the mkII is way better. Beefier, separate legs for power and signal, better connectors, better jacket. I realize now it's a steal. I should have ordered more than one...

Did not imagine there could such a big difference between 2 usb cables. It makes more a difference than a power cord swap on the breeze to give you an idea.

Tomorrow, i will get the network isolator i have ordered 2 weeks ago and check if it improves the rj45 i2s connection between the breeze and the master-7. I will do a quick review within the following days.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #3,285 of 3,700
Did some cheap usb cable comparison tonight: straightwire usb-link (i got it from Schiit audio for 20$) vs a-b systems mkII 6n (45$ from a website in hk that does not process my orders anymore).

To make the story short, the mkII washed the floor with the straightwire. I admit i did not burn the latter (brand-new). But the the difference is so big. The straightwire, although not bad, is so far behind that i doubt it stands any chance in the future. The second i reInstalled the mkII, the magic was back. I might give another chance to the straightwire after i brake it in my spartan office setup. The bass it so huge with the mkii. The stereo image is more accurate as well. The sound is fuller. Looking at the 2 cables, it is obviously not the same built quality, the mkII is way better. Beefier, separate legs for power and signal, better connectors, better jacket. I realize now it's a steal. I should have ordered more than one...

Did not imagine there could such a big difference between 2 usb cables. It makes more a difference than a power cord swap on the breeze to give you an idea.

Tomorrow, i will get the network isolator i have ordered 2 weeks ago and check if it improves the rj45 i2s connection between the breeze and the master-7. I will do a quick review within the following days.

Been through a dozen of so USB cables - the LH Labs LightSpeed Split 2G is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back