Gustard H20 headphone amp
May 17, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #211 of 646
*Ah, shucks*....I'll bet you say that to all the headphone amps...lol...
Seriously, I thought the same thing when I mine arrived. It takes up a lot of real estate on my desk.
But it's worth every bit of it. : - )

May 17, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #212 of 646
Sorry, I've been away with some health stuff...
I've heard (but don't own, just the H20) both. I spent a lot of time with an unmodded (as far as I can recall) H10 at last year's local meet.
I thought the H10 sounded TERRIFIC and the H20 sounds very similar, but I noticed more than a few people cranking the gain to WIDE open on the H10.
That was one reason why I thought there were issues with it again on the H20. It turns out I had a free EQ program engaged that didn't show on my desktop.
The gain was turned down to about half-way. I opened up the gain to full and WOW....yeah it fixed THAT problem. It's a very powerful amp. For Class A it runs comparatively cool. (It's still warm, though.)
I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. But yes, they're tonally quite similar, just with more "there" there. It has better bottom end, in particular. Which is sort of a thing for me, in terms of "bias".

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #213 of 646
Anyone tested the Burson v6s against the sparkos?

Also what's the output impedance out of se and balanced?

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #216 of 646
what's the scuttlebutt on the X22? I've been impressed with the H20 and if they're competing in that league should be good.
I just joined the corresponding thread, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gustard-x22-dac.864254/. Apparently it seems to be a limited improvement of the X20Pro, but it's pretty new, so there aren't many reviews. And there's a rumor about an X30 or X22Pro coming. I joined the Topping DX7s drop, so I'll stay away from this one for now.

May 26, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #217 of 646
Well, I joined the recent drop for the H20. I have and have used the H10 since soon after they were available. So I figured I would give this one a shot. Too bad there are not many reviews. Not that I generally make decisions based on reviews, but it is a comfort thing. Beside that they often discuss things like how an amp under review handles SE to balanced out situations.

I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon. One of it's claims to fame is that it does phase splitting on the SE input to drive the entire amp for balanced out. Has nayone heard or determined what the H20 does with SE in and Balanced out. I do have a few balanced DACs, but a few that are not that I want to use with it.

Any info greatly appreciated.

May 26, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #218 of 646
Well, I joined the recent drop for the H20. I have and have used the H10 since soon after they were available. So I figured I would give this one a shot. Too bad there are not many reviews. Not that I generally make decisions based on reviews, but it is a comfort thing. Beside that they often discuss things like how an amp under review handles SE to balanced out situations.

I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon. One of it's claims to fame is that it does phase splitting on the SE input to drive the entire amp for balanced out. Has nayone heard or determined what the H20 does with SE in and Balanced out. I do have a few balanced DACs, but a few that are not that I want to use with it.

Unsure what is it that you are exactly looking from online reviews or impression outside of head-fi thread, but there is enough discussion here with some in depth disassembly and mods. I understand your predicament since a little known company is asking 1k USD price for a headphone amp. But having heard so many amps at so many different events, meetups etc plus owning a slew of Schiit amps, I can safely say even with stock LME49720, it's the best sounding amp I've heard till date.
Recently I got to hear Cayin iHA6 which is a well received amp by many online reviewers. Hear them side by side, you will realise the contrast and how much you are left wanting from iHA-6.
In another comparison a friend of mine made RJM Sapphire V4.00 for an owner of Eddie Current Black Widow since Sapphire sounds really good. But H20 puts Sapphire to shame even with 49720 in terms of tonality, extension, speed and details. Of course your own listening habits, the headphones and lastly your DAC do play an important role in such comparisons. These comparisons I speak where done using HD 800/S, LCD-X, K712 Pro using either Holo Spring or SMSL M8A (modded with 49720 at I-V and LPF stages instead of OPA1612)

As for SE input, yes it does phase splitting for balanced outputs, so you are covered there. I mentioned this in one of my previous posts actually.

May 26, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #219 of 646

I'm looking at massdrop liquid carbon and monoprice Cavalli too

May 26, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #220 of 646
Unsure what is it that you are exactly looking from online reviews or impression outside of head-fi thread, but there is enough discussion here with some in depth disassembly and mods. I understand your predicament since a little known company is asking 1k USD price for a headphone amp. But having heard so many amps at so many different events, meetups etc plus owning a slew of Schiit amps, I can safely say even with stock LME49720, it's the best sounding amp I've heard till date.
Recently I got to hear Cayin iHA6 which is a well received amp by many online reviewers. Hear them side by side, you will realise the contrast and how much you are left wanting from iHA-6.
In another comparison a friend of mine made RJM Sapphire V4.00 for an owner of Eddie Current Black Widow since Sapphire sounds really good. But H20 puts Sapphire to shame even with 49720 in terms of tonality, extension, speed and details. Of course your own listening habits, the headphones and lastly your DAC do play an important role in such comparisons. These comparisons I speak where done using HD 800/S, LCD-X, K712 Pro using either Holo Spring or SMSL M8A (modded with 49720 at I-V and LPF stages instead of OPA1612)

As for SE input, yes it does phase splitting for balanced outputs, so you are covered there. I mentioned this in one of my previous posts actually.
I'm using an LCD-X and I'm looking for a headamp too. Does h20 gives thick mids and bass heft and not bright?

Is h20 better than mjolnir2?

May 28, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #221 of 646
Yes, no matter which dealer you are buying from, as long as the product is still under warranty, we will definitely provide product warranty service.

However, when you need a warranty, you must first contact the dealer at the time of purchase. Then they are responsible for shipping the product back to China for repairs.After that we will handle all the rest.
I know this was posted a while back, but I just bought an H20 through Massdrop. One person in their discussion of the unit approached Massdrop for warranty service and was told it had no warranty.
So this is a catch 22. If I have a problem I need to work through Massdrop, but they refuse to do anything because the unit has no warranty. In a case such as this, how would I get my H20 fixed?
Can exceptions be made when dealing with a reseller who refuses to act as the intermediary?

May 28, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #222 of 646
I know this was posted a while back, but I just bought an H20 through Massdrop. One person in their discussion of the unit approached Massdrop for warranty service and was told it had no warranty.
So this is a catch 22. If I have a problem I need to work through Massdrop, but they refuse to do anything because the unit has no warranty. In a case such as this, how would I get my H20 fixed?
Can exceptions be made when dealing with a reseller who refuses to act as the intermediary?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about 'Massdrop'.
I guess that it depends upon the agency in which Massdrop is acting? Is it acting as a seller/dealer, or does it simply act as the medium for the seller, like ebay?
If it's acting as the dealer/distributor, then I'm sure that it must have some obligations, such as the legal requirement to provide a guarantee. If they were denying their obligations, then surely this would need reporting to the relevant authority.

May 28, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #223 of 646
Disclaimer: I know nothing about 'Massdrop'.
I guess that it depends upon the agency in which Massdrop is acting? Is it acting as a seller/dealer, or does it simply act as the medium for the seller, like ebay?
If it's acting as the dealer/distributor, then I'm sure that it must have some obligations, such as the legal requirement to provide a guarantee. If they were denying their obligations, then surely this would need reporting to the relevant authority.
It comes with a warranty card that covers it for Two Years. I presume (as you should) that Gustard is the warrantor. This is a truly well-beaten flatlined equine, by now. I do get that there are language barrier issues, and I also get that shipping is the real sticking point, but the warranty isn't the question. It's about where you have to send it to get it worked on UNDER warranty. And that's a fair question. Gustard's rep (whom I think has posted in this thread, or at least I was led to believe that) would have to answer how that would work. All that having been said, if you think it's going to have an issue, you're better off to look at something else. Even though it'd be hard to find a Class A amp more overbuilt in terms of headroom than this one.

May 29, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #224 of 646
It comes with a warranty card that covers it for Two Years. I presume (as you should) that Gustard is the warrantor. This is a truly well-beaten flatlined equine, by now. I do get that there are language barrier issues, and I also get that shipping is the real sticking point, but the warranty isn't the question. It's about where you have to send it to get it worked on UNDER warranty. And that's a fair question. Gustard's rep (whom I think has posted in this thread, or at least I was led to believe that) would have to answer how that would work. All that having been said, if you think it's going to have an issue, you're better off to look at something else. Even though it'd be hard to find a Class A amp more overbuilt in terms of headroom than this one.

Well, I guess that my (rhetorical) question is..... If Massdrop is a 'dealer/distributor', then are they not obliged to be the point of return?
If not, then as you say, it's a matter for Gustard.

It would probably be a good idea for them to clarify this, either way!

May 29, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #225 of 646
Well, I guess that my (rhetorical) question is..... If Massdrop is a 'dealer/distributor', then are they not obliged to be the point of return?
If not, then as you say, it's a matter for Gustard.

It would probably be a good idea for them to clarify this, either way!
Only they could answer that definitively. But my instincts are as the purchaser/owner, it's your responsibility to get it to either them or Gustard and after that their responsibility takes over, including return shipping to you. But that's just my take on it. I think if you have concerns about it, your concern will likely be the one that carries the day. At that purchase price, one might rationalize the purchase anyway. I've never actually heard of one having an issue, but that doesn't mean that there hasn't been one, somewhere, sometime. Caveat Emptor is always in effect. Mine's doing fine. Listening to it now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back