Gustard H20 headphone amp
Mar 25, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #121 of 646
"Crazy if you ask me..."
I didn't take offense at it. Just explaining my take on the one aspect of the amp that didn't seem ideal from my perspective. This issue comes up all time and it's often confused with hearing loss/impairment. Musicians (I discovered this myself several years ago) are exposed to LIVE Music pretty much constantly. (I wore hearing protection on commercial gigs.) What happened to me (I'd spend all day every day in front of 60 piece Wind Ensembles when teaching, or IN them when performing) and what happens often isn't loss it's desensitization. (I don't startle watching horror movies, either. But they famously telegraph the "opportunity" for it in advance. Lol..) My desensitization actually decreased starting about five years after I retired. I couldn't get listener fatigue (didn't know what it was) for my entire playing life. But my preferences regarding this have everything to do with not wanting to have to open up ANY gain control to the end of its travel for ANY reason. I dislike it, even if it's "acceptable" there. In terms of perception, I'm more sensitive to low-level audio now than at any time since I was a teenager. Life can still throw surprises and I still HAVE a startle reflex, but within known surroundings and repeatable parameters/expectations, I definitely get listener fatigue more quickly than at any time previous in my adult life. It's a fascinating topic. And again, awash in perceptual relativism. The insight I have is being able to compare myself to myself over time. There isn't a wrong, but more gain is better than less. All other things being equal. What it might do is make it tougher to publish noise floor statistics that are more "Shangrila" than "real world". That happened with distortion specs in the '80's after the Amp Power Spec wars of the '70's. The Power Amp wars delivered (or failed to, usually spectacularly) on a much easier to perceive claim. The distortion Wars (especially at that time) were much ado about nothing. Three digits (of zeroes) right of the decimal aren't really audible as contrasted to five digits (of zeroes) right of the Decimal. There's nothing new under the Sun. Not even Class D or H. Peace!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #122 of 646
"Crazy if you ask me..."
I didn't take offense at it. Just explaining my take on the one aspect of the amp that didn't seem ideal from my perspective. Peace!

Ah, I see the reason for this confusion. That phrase was aimed at the amp (H20) getting loud (for me) so quick with XLR output when listening on LCD-X.
Sorry for the inadvertently created situation.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #123 of 646
@CEE TEE Can you hook @GUSTARD up so they can set the details on Massdrop straight? Many people didn't join because of the confusion.

@GUSTARD, do you offer warranty for the amps purchased on Massdrop?

Yes, no matter which dealer you are buying from, as long as the product is still under warranty, we will definitely provide product warranty service.

However, when you need a warranty, you must first contact the dealer at the time of purchase. Then they are responsible for shipping the product back to China for repairs.After that we will handle all the rest.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #124 of 646
Yes, no matter which dealer you are buying from, as long as the product is still under warranty, we will definitely provide product warranty service.

However, when you need a warranty, you must first contact the dealer at the time of purchase. Then they are responsible for shipping the product back to China for repairs.After that we will handle all the rest.

Okay, I am just asking these questions in order to be sure, because I do not always understand the language that describes the specs of this unit on the related internet sites I have found so far:

1. This unit can act like a pre-amp, right? If so, might we legitimately call it an Amp/Pre-amp?

2. If it can indeed act as pre-amp, can it pass a signal (say from a DAC) to another amp without altering the sound (i.e. in "fixed gain mode?)

3. Where on the internet can one find the most comprehensive English User Manual for this amp?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #125 of 646
Okay, I am just asking these questions in order to be sure, because I do not always understand the language that describes the specs of this unit on the related internet sites I have found so far:

1. This unit can act like a pre-amp, right? If so, might we legitimately call it an Amp/Pre-amp?

2. If it can indeed act as pre-amp, can it pass a signal (say from a DAC) to another amp without altering the sound (i.e. in "fixed gain mode?)

3. Where on the internet can one find the most comprehensive English User Manual for this amp?

Thanks for you thoughts.

1. Yes it has pre-amp outputs from the OPAMPs voltage gain stage. Stock being LME49720NA and they are very transparent.

2. Do understand that pre-amp is not a unity gain voltage buffer. It's actually the output of the voltage gain stage, hence levels change with potentiometer. You can however use an oscilloscope to set the pre-amp at desired voltage level using 0 dBFS 1kHz sine tone input from DAC and leave the potentiometer at that point - if that's what you want. Though I still don't understand why not use the DAC's line out as is instead of routing it via H20's pre-amp?

3. Good luck on that! If you find one, do let us all know :wink:

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #126 of 646
Though I still don't understand why not use the DAC's line out as is instead of routing it via H20's pre-amp?
:wink:

I shall use the same DAC attached to this Headphone Amp for listening, occasionally, to live L/R speakers in a 2.1/7.1 Stereo/HT system. It is for those live speakers (serviced by the same DAC-schiit YGGY) fed by a couple of independent monoblock amps, that the H20 will need to function as a pre-amp.

Now I have a setting on my Pre-pro that can pass an analog signal directly from an external DAC to the speakers without processing the sound in any way. I wish the pre-amp in the H20 could do the same thing, as that would make the set-up perfect for my needs. I already have the Violectric V281 performing this same double function I have been describing in my main HT system, and it does an incredibly great job handling it, while supplying a line-out feed to my sub for two-channel speaker listening. I would like to use the H20 for the same duties in a 2nd system if possible, that is why I am asking.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #127 of 646

Thanks for you thoughts.

Answer to your question #2: Yes, it can act as a pre-amp and is indeed a very good one. The level for the H20 pre-amp output changes with its Volume control though, and I hooked up my power amp inputs from these pre-amp output of the H20.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #129 of 646
I don't have the H20 +_X22 combo.
I bought my X20U in 2016 and then my H20 winter of 2017. I've been using tube-based head-amp before as I enjoyed the tube sound much.
I have to say I missed the fun of tube-rolling with the H20, but have to admit it sounds even better than my best tube combination on my 6SN7 head-amp.
The X22 will look better together with the H20 (the X20U is a size larger than the H20) since they are the same dimensions .
The internal build quality of the X20U was amazing and was what attracted my eyeball (as an engineer) even before I had a chance to listen to it.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #130 of 646
I don't have the H20 +_X22 combo.
I bought my X20U in 2016 and then my H20 winter of 2017. I've been using tube-based head-amp before as I enjoyed the tube sound much.
I have to say I missed the fun of tube-rolling with the H20, but have to admit it sounds even better than my best tube combination on my 6SN7 head-amp.
The X22 will look better together with the H20 (the X20U is a size larger than the H20) since they are the same dimensions .
The internal build quality of the X20U was amazing and was what attracted my eyeball (as an engineer) even before I had a chance to listen to it.
can you campare your x20u and h20 with others?

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #131 of 646
Sorry that I'm an engineer and definitely not good in describing "sound".
About DAC, I used to have an old Krell DAC which stopped working years ago, which kick-started my DAC searching journey. The other DACs that I used in recent years are based on the 1794 and WM8741, as well as a Astell & Kern portable.
The dual 9018 in the X20 have better resolution and details - especially in the highs, but as you can see, it is not a fair comparison; the other DAC chips are a couple generations older and cheaper.

I do have strong likes in the H20. I read good reviews on the H10, and I was getting confident with the brand with my X20U. I went straight to the H20 when it came out, instead of the H10 which I originally opted for.
It was a good decision. Now I'm pairing it with a K712 (single-end jack) and HD650 (the balance jack).
IMHO, I like the HD650 much with the balanced drivers! Silky smooth and powerful sound with ambient -- and without the worry about the life of the tubes on my tube amp's.
The only thing I missed is the fun in tube-rolling, I may start rolling op-amps someday!

Mar 28, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #133 of 646
I've given first impressions both here and elsewhere. There's a lot to like about the amp. Most of my experience has been with vintage gear (where the inclusion of onboard headphone outputs used to be a foregone conclusion and appears to be holding up well in comparison if the gear is restored/well maintained), portables and dock type portables configurable with stationary headphone amps. Portable/Personal audio is "hot" now and a "growth industry (apparently). But relatively few of the amps I've heard actually move the SOTA forward. (Many of the tube amps appear to me to be the same configuration as amps that were SOTA in 1966, just with rejiggered outputs for high impedance headphones.) This one could be an exception. In my experience, The Schiit Magni 3 is approximately a replacement for the headphone amp sections in analog source components (back when they had them), but NOT really a replacement for the Headphone amp sections in Integrated (and more rarely) stand-alone Power amplifiers from the latter "Classic" era of Modern High Fidelity. The market fractured into nosebleed "so-called" High End later (the '80's) and "Wal-Mart" Stereo (boomboxes and shelf systems) and the Industry never really recovered HERE. (Semi-junk Audio's always been around, but the "good stuff" has lost ground in terms of market share HERE.) That spelled the end for the Industry's purchase on a majority of the broad American marketplace. Great stuff that only about 2% of the population can afford doesn't really move the needle that much. Now amps like the Lyr 2 (which I also own, purchased not a free review sample) is one of the FEW amps that seems like a genuine step forward. (It also works as a great way to warm your hands after you've been outside in Wintertime.) The H20 seems to check a lot of boxes for me that I was trying to "check" domestically, first. But I couldn't. (I've spent the last year or two looking.) It does have balanced ins/outs. It's Class A and appears to be fairly conservatively rated. (I haven't hooked it up to my outboard 8903a yet. I have the Pete Millet software but I haven't tried to integrate the two and run it/them yet.) I read elsewhere that there are people who are set up to do this already and are probably more practiced at it than I am. If they'll move forward (and give the H20 a fair shake) then I'm fine with being the curmudgeonly "old guy" just trying to lend a little perspective to a stimulated part of the avocation. But if a balanced (subjective and objectively referenced) review doesn't show up, I'll review it myself. Now is the time of year I start to spend more time away from the Computer keyboard. The timing's not perfect. But if someone's going to review it, now's the time. I bought one after waiting a year largely because nobody would speak about it, here or anywhere else. If it's a good amp, then a discussion would be worthwhile. If it's not, the same logic holds. My posts ARE just first impressions, but at least I had the stones to post them. As it were. let the reviews BEGIN.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #134 of 646

Thanks for you thoughts.

Answer for your question #3, I asked GUSTARD customer service yesterday, via their official email gustard@163.com
Here is the newest version of GUSTARD H20 English User Manual.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wyt2ckwqu35cddw/GUSTARD+H20+USER+MANUAL.pdf

BTW, I'm very satisfied with using H20 as a preamplifier.
My H20 is connected to a pair of BM15A, sometimes connected to DT880 600ohm, the performance is quite amazing.

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #135 of 646

Users who are viewing this thread

Back