GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 30, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #5,536 of 5,552
Does anyone know, why does this amp have balanced inputs but no balanced output?

Has anyone tried to use the balanced inputs and the RCA inputs with the same DAC?

Is it there only for compatibility or there is a technical difference if you use the balanced inputs?

Apr 30, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #5,537 of 5,552
Does anyone know, why does this amp have balanced inputs but no balanced output?

Has anyone tried to use the balanced inputs and the RCA inputs with the same DAC?

Is it there only for compatibility or there is a technical difference if you use the balanced inputs?

The H10 has balanced inputs to reduce the chance of having a ground loop. I have used both balanced and single ended inputs on the H10 with the balanced and single ended outputs from my Schiit Modius dac.
They work fine.

May 1, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #5,538 of 5,552
The H10 has balanced inputs to reduce the chance of having a ground loop. I have used both balanced and single ended inputs on the H10 with the balanced and single ended outputs from my Schiit Modius dac.
They work fine.
Did you hear a difference?

May 1, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #5,539 of 5,552
Did you hear a difference?

Not that I can recall. However, if I had been hearing a hum from a ground loop with the single ended inputs, using the balanced inputs instead, would have eliminated the hum.

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #5,540 of 5,552
I wanted to update on my continuing opamp journey with the H10. Since last time I have acquired many more opamps and have tried many combinations, I have also acquired HD650 headphones, which seem to be a good neutral headphone compared to the warm Fidelios and the cool dry revealing HiFiMan Edition XS. Across all three phones I prefer the combination of the OPA2227P in the dual input location and the LT1122 in the single channel driver position. With this combo the music has a nice flow, warmth, is engaging and has natural highs nice authoritative bass and a very nice soundstage especially with the HD650s. I am sure the Burson discrete opamps are better, but for the price of admission this is very impressive and makes me want to listen more and more. I have spent a significant amount of research and money buying many, many opamps including the opa627, ad843, muses 8820d, opa2134, opa134, opa2228, lt1355, and others. I just wanted to share this as I really feel that the opa2227 and lt1122 are a fantastic combination that only costs around $30 which is extremely cost effective and so wonderful sounding. Just my opinion but hope it helps someone else.

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #5,541 of 5,552
I currently have a pair of Burson v6 Vivid singles and Burson v5i Duals, they provide a precise, clean, rather spacious presentation, not to much bass in volume, but tight bass. Also the highs do not tend to hurt my ears, which is also good. The overall sound is excellent to my ears.

I wonder what would happen if I replace the Duals from v5is to v6 Vivids. I guess it would run hotter, but in sound?

Since I use the RCA inputs not XLR, does this mean that it bypasses the Dual opamps?

Edit: After extensive reading, replacing the Dual opamps also has an effect on the sound (even tough you use RCA), tough to a lesser extent. (post #4045 for example)

Maybe I will go full boat, just to try it. :)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #5,542 of 5,552

1. The amplifier has single end (SE) architecture, so there is no balanced output.
2. Yes, I tried.
3. Yes it's for compatibility and yes there is technical difference. My DAC has Bal & SE outputs with same quality. So I'm using SE, because signal path in Gustard in this case shorter and have less components in it. First of all there are no op amps for summing Bal to SE in it. In my rig I hear difference very clearly.
There are 3 DAC architectures.
1. true balance
2. pseudo balance
3. single end
Simple suggestion, connect to Gustard:
1 - via Balance input
2, 3 - via SE input
But, if your Balanced DAC, like mine, has good SE output (with Sparkos OpAmps f.e.) you should use SE.
If your Balanced DAC has non upgradeable or just simple SE output, better use Bal out and try to upgrade your OpAmps in Gustard Bal input.
So my message is Balance isn't always better 🙂

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #5,543 of 5,552
1. The amplifier has single end (SE) architecture, so there is no balanced output.
2. Yes, I tried.
3. Yes it's for compatibility and yes there is technical difference. My DAC has Bal & SE outputs with same quality. So I'm using SE, because signal path in Gustard in this case shorter and have less components in it. First of all there are no op amps for summing Bal to SE in it. In my rig I hear difference very clearly.
There are 3 DAC architectures.
1. true balance
2. pseudo balance
3. single end
Simple suggestion, connect to Gustard:
1 - via Balance input
2, 3 - via SE input
But, if your Balanced DAC, like mine, has good SE output (with Sparkos OpAmps f.e.) you should use SE.
If your Balanced DAC has non upgradeable or just simple SE output, better use Bal out and try to upgrade your OpAmps in Gustard Bal input.
So my message is Balance isn't always better 🙂
The balanced inputs are used for compatibility but also to prevent a ground loop.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #5,544 of 5,552
I have now the full boat, sounds good! :jecklinsmile:

ABLVV85Caxi-1nfJFY97P7D12z10k0L-tWO2Cod742L2_O7cH3hCSqh687UdzMTqR0Zzajdv9qwbMIk9hxZOkIloF2HGyn66bWGLtYsmnxPFmy3R_EEsnkk0qEmuZQOsjnKF07ZNEccxW4EgqOcp7JijQsp6=w657-h919-s-no-gm

ABLVV86UiNta63IGQ7OFcPaUOE1eSFfzHNFqKsqhm1L8E3evIyDGhTukipMZ2ys0kbdupxdKA3bqbB_Aw57sn8O61B8_ewspUXuCSHDICeNoWNuZpb_irGg2KoUkRHoHwpPhsJtWuuF6hXaB8vRQJDkSXa8k=w1197-h919-s-no-gm

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #5,545 of 5,552
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #5,547 of 5,552
Did anyone ever find a manual for the H10? I haven't been able to locate one with extensive online searches.
Drop.com used to sell the Gustard H10's. You might contact them to see what they have to say. Also CEETEE used to work
for Drop.com back when they were Massdrop.com. He posts on Head-Fi from time to time and may be able to help you.

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #5,548 of 5,552
Interestingly, after I changed the Burson v5i-s to v6 vivids, I was expecting that it would run even hotter, I was thinking maybe I shouldn't put back the lid.
But the opposite happened, now it doesn't get that warm, only lukewarm at most to the touch.
I guess this is because the V6-s have proper voltage, the v5i-s don't, so even though they are smaller, they produce extra heat.
So it sounds better, and runs cooler.

BTW, if it runs hot, and you are worried. Just find an old CPU cooler and place it on the top of it. It may help.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #5,550 of 5,552
Interestingly, after I changed the Burson v5i-s to v6 vivids, I was expecting that it would run even hotter, I was thinking maybe I shouldn't put back the lid.
But the opposite happened, now it doesn't get that warm, only lukewarm at most to the touch.
I guess this is because the V6-s have proper voltage, the v5i-s don't, so even though they are smaller, they produce extra heat.
So it sounds better, and runs cooler.

BTW, if it runs hot, and you are worried. Just find an old CPU cooler and place it on the top of it. It may help.

My H10 has the stock op amps and it runs cool to the touch. For class A bias solid state amplifiers that are
designed to run hot, if you use a cooling fan on them, the amp will just work harder to operate
at the temperature that it was designed to run at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back