GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
May 12, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,966 of 5,552
Well heck these new V5i op amps became available just about a week after I ordered a complete V5 set for my H10.  I'd have probably gone with the new ones just to save a bit of coin.

Oh well I'm sure the fully discrete V5's will be quite nice and I'm already committed anyway.  Just wish they would get here to the states a bit sooner.

May 12, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #4,967 of 5,552
May 18, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #4,971 of 5,552

I just ordered a pair of singles for my H10. Should be here in a week or so.

I am using the stock opamps right now so I will not be able to compare them to the other V5's.

I just ordered a pair of singles and duals. Interested in your thoughts on how significant the difference is with just singles.
What headphones do your run out of your H10?

May 18, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #4,972 of 5,552

I just ordered a pair of singles and duals. Interested in your thoughts on how significant the difference is with just singles.
What headphones do your run out of your H10?

I have been using a pair of Spirit Labs XVI's. These are Franken-Grados from Italy. They seem to pair really well with the stock H10 I got a few weeks ago. I actually also have another H10 coming so that I can do headphone listening through my speaker system in our den. The second H10 will come with some AD797ANZ opamps in it.

I also have a pair of HD650's and some Grado RS1e's. The 650's were a bit of a disappointment. I think that they like voltage swing for their high impedance and the H10 is good at driving current. The 650's sound good with my old OTL SinglePower tube amp. 

May 18, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #4,973 of 5,552
I also have a pair of HD650's and some Grado RS1e's. The 650's were a bit of a disappointment. I think that they like voltage swing for their high impedance and the H10 is good at driving current. The 650's sound good with my old OTL SinglePower tube amp. 

I think you are right, H10 is best for headphones that are hungry for current. Also, HD650 are very dark and veiled, and stock H10 is a bit dark and soft/veiled, and too much of a good thing is not a good thing. For that reason I sold my HD650 some time ago and replaced them with HD600, and now that my main amp has razor-sharp character I sometimes think that I should have stayed with 650.

Ahoy mateys, I also want to use this opportunity to announce that my H10 has sailed away, I am no longer an active member of the GusStarD H10 ship crew, and sadly, it is time for me to walk the gangway! (please, no plank).
It was fun journey and I am very grateful to everyone here for being an awesome team, and of course, special thanks to Captain Guinea Pig!

May 18, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #4,974 of 5,552
I received my Sparkoslabs dual channel op-amps for my Matrix HPA-3B today. I gave them a quick listen in my H10. These things are insanely clear! If my H10 didn't just sell today I would've bought a pair of singles and probably kept it. I think you guys should give them a listen.

I bet a combo of the Sparkos duals and Burson singles would be amazing! The crystal clarity of the Sparkos and the musicality of the Bursons.

May 19, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #4,975 of 5,552

I think you are right, H10 is best for headphones that are hungry for current. Also, HD650 are very dark and veiled, and stock H10 is a bit dark and soft/veiled, and too much of a good thing is not a good thing. For that reason I sold my HD650 some time ago and replaced them with HD600, and now that my main amp has razor-sharp character I sometimes think that I should have stayed with 650.

Ahoy mateys, I also want to use this opportunity to announce that my H10 has sailed away, I am no longer an active member of the GusStarD H10 ship crew, and sadly, it is time for me to walk the gangway! (please, no plank).
It was fun journey and I am very grateful to everyone here for being an awesome team, and of course, special thanks to Captain Guinea Pig!

Thank you for all of your input in this thread. You have been very helpful. I wish you well on the rest of your audio journey. To be honest i'm about to do the same thing with my H10. 

May 19, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #4,976 of 5,552

Looking forward to getting your H10 today. Thanks!

My Grado based Spirits work well with the H10 as Grado drivers are low impedance are certainly not dark :)

May 19, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #4,977 of 5,552
  Thank you for all of your input in this thread. You have been very helpful. I wish you well on the rest of your audio journey. To be honest i'm about to do the same thing with my H10. 

What are you replacing it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back