GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #4,883 of 5,553
Anybody can compare 49720ha and v5 duals? Is 49720ha noticeably better than NE5532? Thinking of using something else better than stock at -12 gain, but not duals.

I like 49720ha better than V5 duals if I have to make a conclusion. V5 duals are not bad, but they sound a little slow and a little too smooth to me. In fact, I can live with both 49720ha and V5 duals. Here is my preference of these three dual opamps:

49720ha >= V5 duals > NE5532

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #4,885 of 5,553
Just got the V5 duals in with my HE-560 and wow, things just keep getting better and better. More body while retaining detail. However, downsides are it slightly loses too much mid-upper~upper treble, just slightly. Also, the duals seem to add some artifcial sparkle, it sounds something I've experienced with the AD823. It is very interesting, but at the same time it can be very annoying. It is not the problem with the op-amps, but it is actually a problem with modern recordings. Since my majority of music library are modern recordings, it can be fatiguing. It is not sibilance that pierce your ears, but it is more of added sparkle. Going back to NE5532 is noticeable with lack of body, but still sounds good :) Definitely like the improvement, the piano solo part in Eric Clapton - Old Love (Unplugged 1992) sounds like heaven. It can sound quite muddy compared to the stock though. Not my cup of tea, but pros outweigh the cons.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #4,886 of 5,553
  Just got the V5 duals in with my HE-560 and wow, things just keep getting better and better. More body while retaining detail. However, downsides are it slightly loses too much mid-upper~upper treble, just slightly. Also, the duals seem to add some artifcial sparkle, it sounds something I've experienced with the AD823. It is very interesting, but at the same time it can be very annoying. It is not the problem with the op-amps, but it is actually a problem with modern recordings. Since my majority of music library are modern recordings, it can be fatiguing. It is not sibilance that pierce your ears, but it is more of added sparkle. Going back to NE5532 is noticeable with lack of body, but still sounds good :) Definitely like the improvement, the piano solo part in Eric Clapton - Old Love (Unplugged 1992) sounds like heaven. It can sound quite muddy compared to the stock though. Not my cup of tea, but pros outweigh the cons.

I have always believed that full Bursons is the clearest window into your music.  Thing is, that is not what everyone wants.  A little synergy here, color there, everyone's palette is different.  My H10 always run full Burson. I have other amps for different flavors but I always come back to the H10 for the truth and sometimes the truth can be ugly.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,887 of 5,553
Shipped back my opamps to burson for replacements a couple days back. paid about $13, not bad considering i was expecting to pay much more. now back to stock h10.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,888 of 5,553
Hi guys, I'm waiting for my MD ZMF Vibro II Zebra and worrying whether my Bravo Ocean can amp it right. H10 looks interesting to me. Is H10 good to amp Vibro II? Also considering if I go H10, then which DAC is good to stack (X12, NFB-1DAC, NFB-28, DAC-19 or TEAC UD-301)? And should I plan to go balanced?

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #4,889 of 5,553
  Hi guys, I'm waiting for my MD ZMF Vibro II Zebra and worrying whether my Bravo Ocean can amp it right. H10 looks interesting to me. Is H10 good to amp Vibro II? Also considering if I go H10, then which DAC is good to stack (X12, NFB-1DAC, NFB-28, DAC-19 or TEAC UD-301)? And should I plan to go balanced?

The H10 works well with my Vibro Mk. I.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #4,890 of 5,553
I have a v1vibro and the h10. It sounds very easy on the ears. Very mello together. If you have to get a new dac and amp , maybe look in the classifieds . There is an audio gd there for $500. Zack likes that pairing and he also likes the jds element. I enjoy the h10 with my vibro and there are some good deals on those here too. But, since you need a dac too you may look at a combo that the maker recommends. Vibro sounds great SE. balanced was a mild improvement. Unlike the omni which is amazing balanced. Ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back