GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 10, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #4,772 of 5,552
Have been looking for moah powerful hp amps for a bit. Visited this thread a while back, read through 90 pages b4 I could stop myself. The enthusiasm is contagious. There was a recent drop on Massdrop and I sprung for one. It should be getting shipped out in the next week or so, looking forward to the ride.

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #4,774 of 5,552
Do anyone compare the stock Gustard H10 and ifi micro ican SE? I'm in decision between the two. I have Mad dog and the prime and little budget :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #4,775 of 5,552
Do anyone compare the stock Gustard H10 and ifi micro ican SE? I'm in decision between the two. I have Mad dog and the prime and little budget
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried the ifi micro iDSD at home for a short time.  The headphone amp in that is just a strong as the ican SE.  In my opinion it is very capable to drive the MD but not like the H10 can.  Even if you don't go all out with a full set of Burson's, $50 can offer you a lot of choices to tune the H10 to your taste.  With the ifi you are stuck with the one sound which I didn't care much for.  IIRC it was some what neutral, flat, dry and a bit treble forward.  Even the O2 sounded more pleasing.  

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #4,776 of 5,552
Time to pull the cover off and see what's going on with my H10. I'm getting crackling sounds coming through my cans with no music playing. I have 4 of the 17 volt Bursons installed. I'll be using my Little Dot MK9 in the meantime. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #4,779 of 5,552
Hi. Would an H10 with Full Bursons do a good job with the HD650 and Beyer T1? How would it compare to the Crack Amp and Speedball Upgrade, or the Grace Massdrop 920?

Both of those cans are high ohm so I think they would pair better with the Crack. I think the speedball is for low ohm cans. Don't know anything about the Grace.

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4,781 of 5,552
@networkn I have both H10 and Crack. Here is my 'executive summary':

Stock Crack << Stock H10 (for DT880/600)
Stock Crack < Stock H10 (for HD650)
Crack with Speedball >> Stock H10
Crack with Speedball > H10 with AD797 (for DT880/600)
Crack with Speedball >= H10 with AD797 (for HD650)
Crack with Speedball <? H10 with Bursons

Last line has question mark because I do not use Bursons opamps myself, but there was a good post couple dozen pages back where someone have finally decided to sell his (much upgraded and tweaked) Crack after getting Bursons opamps for H10.

Overall, IMHO Crack and H10 are rather similar in sound, and as you can see, it is close tie between them in the upgrade race. Still, H10 is more practical, and has less problems with noise.

P.S. Forgot to mention, I have Grace m9xx too, and it is nice little device, but size matters, and H10 is a better amp (at least, with AD797).

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #4,783 of 5,552
  Time to pull the cover off and see what's going on with my H10. I'm getting crackling sounds coming through my cans with no music playing. I have 4 of the 17 volt Bursons installed. I'll be using my Little Dot MK9 in the meantime. 

I found the problem. One of the dual Burson V5-D's is causing the snapping and popping. Replaced both with the original op amps and all is well. Sent an email off to Burson requesting a replacement. Waiting for their response.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #4,785 of 5,552
  @networkn I have both H10 and Crack. Here is my 'executive summary':

Stock Crack << Stock H10 (for DT880/600)
Stock Crack < Stock H10 (for HD650)
Crack with Speedball >> Stock H10
Crack with Speedball > H10 with AD797 (for DT880/600)
Crack with Speedball >= H10 with AD797 (for HD650)
Crack with Speedball <? H10 with Bursons

Last line has question mark because I do not use Bursons opamps myself, but there was a good post couple dozen pages back where someone have finally decided to sell his (much upgraded and tweaked) Crack after getting Bursons opamps for H10.

Overall, IMHO Crack and H10 are rather similar in sound, and as you can see, it is close tie between them in the upgrade race. Still, H10 is more practical, and has less problems with noise.

P.S. Forgot to mention, I have Grace m9xx too, and it is nice little device, but size matters, and H10 is a better amp (at least, with AD797).

Hi. 

I am confused. Line one says Crack is MUCH better than H10, but in line 3 you are saying stock H10 is MUCH better than Crack with Speedball. Is that correct? 
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that the Crack with Speedball is worse than the Crack without it. 

Am I misunderstanding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back