GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Sep 3, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #3,181 of 5,552
  OPA627BP Precision Hi-Speed OPAMP IC DIP8
  1. Order Code:AM001145

http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=1145

You need DIP8. The legs where they plug into the socket are the same for dual or single DIP8 parts. The difference is internal.
No reason to buy parts on adapters if the DIP8 part is available.

Apparently the OPA627 is also a single OP amp and you need something like this (link below) if you want to replace it with a dual opamp? or the one you linked will work fine to replace the NE5532?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-Dual-to-Mono-Op-AMP-OPA627BP-OPA627-replace-NE5532-/251268567461?hash=item3a80c611a5

How do you know which opamp is single and which one is dual and if it replaces the OPA134 and NE5532 or not?

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,182 of 5,552

Apparently the OPA627 is also a single OP amp and you need something like this (link below) if you want to replace it with a dual opamp? or the one you linked will work fine to replace the NE5532?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-Dual-to-Mono-Op-AMP-OPA627BP-OPA627-replace-NE5532-/251268567461?hash=item3a80c611a5

How do you know which opamp is single and which one is dual and if it replaces the OPA134 and NE5532 or not?

Why not take a look at the discussion over the last few pages. It is clearly stated that there are two dual opamps and two single opamps and which are which. Hint: Duals at the back near the output, singles on the side middle next to the heat sink). A quote from previous pages in this thread:
It comes stock with two single channel opa123 right next to the large heat sink. (use only single channel parts in these sockets)

At the outputs it comes stock with two dual channel NE5532..                              (use only dual channel parts in these sockets)

Not sure how many times you want it stated.

I really do not think that the part you linked would be useful in the H10. I suggest that you simply buy the correct configuration (single or dual)  DIP8 parts.. (two each single and double) until you know what you are doing. No adapters, no double chips to mono... nothing fancy, just 4 DIP8 opamps... and go from there.

If you want to know more about opamps and more exotic combinations check out one of the good Opamps threads and ask there if they will be suitable replacements for the stock chips in the H10.

Not sure how many times you want it stated. If buying an opamp, look at the data sheet and description to see if it is dual or single channel. Use the single for replacing the OPA123 and Dual to replace the NE5532.
Or just buy some of the already discussed combinations with listed part numbers. Or learn something about Opamps and buy something that you think will work.

One last thing, you do not have to use two individual chips to make a dual opamp. They make them with two amps (or channels) on one die. You could put a single and dual opamp right next to each other and, without looking at the part number, never be able to tell them apart. visually.

EDIT: Looking at it some more, the linked item that you posted MAY (the description seems vague) be able to be used for two opamps which do not come in a dual package, to plug into a socket that would use a dual. BUT, the terminology is different than I normally see. For instance I have been thinking of getting one with two AD 797Bs on it to use in the rear dual channel opamp position. This is because the 797 is not offered in a dual channel single chip configuration.  The dual to mono description on ebay is all he gives... not how the chips are wired.

Also, do visit the link DDDAmian posted below. I copied it a while back and pasted it into a Word document for future reference. Very good stuff... Thanks StuartMC !!

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3,183 of 5,552
I do sometimes wish the OP's of these type of threads would do what many have: reserve a couple of posts after the original and update it from time to time with relevant details. The photos someone kindly posted a few pages back with circles around the op-amps in question is a great example of something that would be great on page 1.

I guess it's hard to predict if a thread will become the de-facto go-to for that amp/dac/can but if anyone reading this decides to start a new impressions thread for any gear please do consider: will I update this over time? If so, the above really helps. It's always easier to refer someone to the first page than endlessly recycling info, directing a question to previous info, making someone wade through many pages or having to do the legwork yourself to find the specific post.

Not a slag against anyone (OP, or the person above with legitimate questions) but I can sympathize with those trying to help having to do one of the above.

Rant over, lol.

Here's the excellent post by StuartMC on where the op-amps are etc: http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/3090#post_11863497

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,184 of 5,552
  I do sometimes wish the OP's of these type of threads would do what many have: reserve a couple of posts after the original and update it from time to time with relevant details. The photos someone kindly posted a few pages back with circles around the op-amps in question is a great example of something that would be great on page 1.

I guess it's hard to predict if a thread will become the de-facto go-to for that amp/dac/can but if anyone reading this decides to start a new impressions thread for any gear please do consider: will I update this over time? If so, the above really helps. It's always easier to refer someone to the first page than endlessly recycling info, directing a question to previous info, making someone wade through many pages or having to do the legwork yourself to find the specific post.

Not a slag against anyone (OP, or the person above with legitimate questions) but I can sympathize with those trying to help having to do one of the above.

Rant over, lol.

Here's the excellent post by StuartMC on where the op-amps are etc: http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/3090#post_11863497

I think sometimes people forget, or newbs were never told, that there is a very effective search function on this site that lets you "Search this thread."  You put in your key words and it will pull up all the posts that have those key words.  You don't have to wade through 213 pages of this thread to get your answers.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,185 of 5,552

I think sometimes people forget, or newbs were never told, that there is a very effective search function on this site that lets you "Search this thread."  You put in your key words and it will pull up all the posts that have those key words.  You don't have to wade through 213 pages of this thread to get your answers.

Just searched it for "big boobs" and came up with zilch, nada, squat.

Oh, you mean relevant searches - my bad! 
tongue.gif

Edit: just searched again and got a hit! Outstanding! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #3,187 of 5,552
Sep 3, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #3,188 of 5,552

Why not take a look at the discussion over the last few pages. It is clearly stated that there are two dual opamps and two single opamps and which are which. Hint: Duals at the back near the output, singles on the side middle next to the heat sink). A quote from previous pages in this thread:
It comes stock with two single channel opa123 right next to the large heat sink. (use only single channel parts in these sockets)

At the outputs it comes stock with two dual channel NE5532..                              (use only dual channel parts in these sockets)

Not sure how many times you want it stated.

I really do not think that the part you linked would be useful in the H10. I suggest that you simply buy the correct configuration (single or dual)  DIP8 parts.. (two each single and double) until you know what you are doing. No adapters, no double chips to mono... nothing fancy, just 4 DIP8 opamps... and go from there.

If you want to know more about opamps and more exotic combinations check out one of the good Opamps threads and ask there if they will be suitable replacements for the stock chips in the H10.

Not sure how many times you want it stated. If buying an opamp, look at the data sheet and description to see if it is dual or single channel. Use the single for replacing the OPA123 and Dual to replace the NE5532.
Or just buy some of the already discussed combinations with listed part numbers. Or learn something about Opamps and buy something that you think will work.

One last thing, you do not have to use two individual chips to make a dual opamp. They make them with two amps (or channels) on one die. You could put a single and dual opamp right next to each other and, without looking at the part number, never be able to tell them apart. visually.

EDIT: Looking at it some more, the linked item that you posted MAY (the description seems vague) be able to be used for two opamps which do not come in a dual package, to plug into a socket that would use a dual. BUT, the terminology is different than I normally see. For instance I have been thinking of getting one with two AD 797Bs on it to use in the rear dual channel opamp position. This is because the 797 is not offered in a dual channel single chip configuration.  The dual to mono description on ebay is all he gives... not how the chips are wired.

Also, do visit the link DDDAmian posted below. I copied it a while back and pasted it into a Word document for future reference. Very good stuff... Thanks StuartMC !!

I apologise if I did not post a clearer question. I have read from page 153 onwards where opamps rolling was first mentioned till the current page twice. I understand already that there are two single and two dual opamps and where they are located, thanks to detailed posts by stuart and others explaining them.

I was a little confused about DIP8 and adapters, as some people seem to be buying them on adapters and others directly on DIP8, but understand that I want DIP8 in the end. I would definitely want to try the combos posted already, if I knew which specific item to buy exactly. A lot of information can be daunting and confusing for someone starting new.

My main question was rather simpler, how do I know if an OP amp is single or dual opamp? (or rather is OPA627 single or dual opamp and can it replace the NE5532?) 

I did try looking for that answer here, http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa627.pdf but couldn't find where it says that the OPA627 is single channel or dual channel and hence my confusion. You mention I should try to read the description, but descriptions as in the item linked above do not mention clearly if they are single or dual opamps. 

I do not want it stated more than once and thank you for the patience to explain it to me. If I could learn how these things work, I'll only be adding in to the discussion with my experience of different chips as well.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #3,189 of 5,552
^^^ it does tell you in a couple places in that datasheet:

1) the schematic shows a VS+/- power rail to supply it, and an In+/- which is the differential signal it's amplifying. Only one of each so it's a single
2) both block diagrams show a single horizontal triangle representing the amp, with the same pinouts as above. Again, only one amp shown.

A dual will have two of those triangles in the block diagram. Each will have it's own separate In+/- if they are truly differential, although it's possible for them to share a common input but that's less common. It would be very common for the two to share VS+/- as there's only so many pins.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #3,191 of 5,552
Sep 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #3,195 of 5,552

My main question was rather simpler, how do I know if an OP amp is single or dual opamp? (or rather is OPA627 single or dual opamp and can it replace the NE5532?) 

I did try looking for that answer here, http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa627.pdf but couldn't find where it says that the OPA627 is single channel or dual channel and hence my confusion. You mention I should try to read the description, but descriptions as in the item linked above do not mention clearly if they are single or dual opamps. 

I do not want it stated more than once and thank you for the patience to explain it to me. If I could learn how these things work, I'll only be adding in to the discussion with my experience of different chips as well.

Some opamps are offered in both single or dual configurations. If you know that you want a dual dip8 part, you should find a chart in the  data sheet that lists the specific part number for the dual, same as if you want a single opamap.

The OPA627/637 are single opamps. Look at the data sheet and notice only one triangle (the electronics symbol for an opamp.

Here is what to look for.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-8/the-operational-amplifier/

The following diagram shows the pin connections for single op-amps (741 included) when housed in an 8-pin DIP (Dual Inline Package) integrated circuit:
03028.png

Some models of op-amp come two to a package, including the popular models TL082 and 1458. These are called “dual” units, and are typically housed in an 8-pin DIP package as well, with the following pin connections:
03245.png

BTW, I seem to remember several people posting the entire part number for opamps they are using. In that case, just search for those. For instance the AD797ANZ is the entire number for a DIP8 package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back