GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 5, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #1,006 of 5,552
How do you find the bass of H10 compared to the Lyr?

I was just thinking of that now. I cannot say yet for sure, but I will report back later. I am trying to be really cautious because I loathe hyperbole on these forums. I will say that I was just thinking before I read your post that bass is monstrous on my HE-500s with gain set to +6. It was actually overpowering on +12, which is where I find the sweet spot for my Senns.

The answer is complicated because a) it highly depends on the tube; Amperex Orange Globes convey a deeper bass than my other tubs, for instance and b) even more crucially, my DAC is known for its bass slam; it even makes the O2 communicate a strong bass when called for. Separating DAC from amp is always a tricky problem, but based on my two other DACs, this DAC conveys a strong bass presence. One thing to keep in mind about the Lyr is that it can be quite punchy due to its extraordinary current output, and it is highly dynamic. One aspect of comparison between the amps I am still trying to determine is slam versus boomy and the dynamic range. Lyr is no slouch with dynamics especially with dynamic classical recordings. Gungnir is a highly dynamic DAC as well. For now, I am tempted to say Lyr tops H10 in terms of dynamic range, but I believe I need to wait for my xlr input cable to know for sure. Its also crucial to remember that Lyr puts out more current than most headamps, which is why I am being more liberal with the gain settings on the H10.

Another point I am trying to listen for is whether, as some have claimed here and elsewhere, the H10 becomes muddy when music becomes complex. I still do not know the answer to that yet but I am listening for it. I do know that schitty tubes on my Lyr completely bungle complex passages versus more well engineered ones. This is an important criteria for me because I think any amp well designed can do simple passages well.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #1,008 of 5,552
I was just thinking of that now. I cannot say yet for sure, but I will report back later. I am trying to be really cautious because I loathe hyperbole on these forums. I will say that I was just thinking before I read your post that bass is monstrous on my HE-500s with gain set to +6. It was actually overpowering on +12, which is where I find the sweet spot for my Senns.

Are you saying you can hear a difference in the bass presence depending on the gain? Because I was under the impression that the gain changed only the volume.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,009 of 5,552
Are you saying you can hear a difference in the bass presence depending on the gain? Because I was under the impression that the gain changed only the volume.

Yes.

Edit: In the sense that the voltage is increased. But I am really trying to be careful hear TAKE ALL OF MY OBSERVATIONS with a grain of salt. I have lived with the Lyr for over a year. I have had this for two days.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,010 of 5,552
Thanks Liu. I'll be waiting for your further impressions. Yeah, 2 days is still very early for the H10. It will just get better.

I too use Amperex OG on my Lyr 2 and the difference in bass is quite noticeable.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #1,011 of 5,552
Thanks Liu. I'll be waiting for your further impressions. Yeah, 2 days is still very early for the H10. It will just get better.

I too use Amperex OG on my Lyr 2 and the difference in bass is quite noticeable.

Oh interesting. So you also own a Lyr. Do you happen to have any honest observations on the contrast between Lyr and H10?

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,012 of 5,552
Just ordered my H10 ! I'm incredibly excited, seeing as how it's my first proper amp, after using the fiio E10 for nearly a year with my HD650s. Will definitely make some first impressions once I get it. By the way, how long does it take to arrive normally? I purchased mine through eBay from 'vintageaudio' seller. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,013 of 5,552
Just ordered my H10 ! I'm incredibly excited, seeing as how it's my first proper amp, after using the fiio E10 for nearly a year with my HD650s. Will definitely make some first impressions once I get it. By the way, how long does it take to arrive normally? I purchased mine through eBay from 'vintageaudio' seller. 

I bout mine from the same seller about 3 weeks ago, the shipping estimate they supplied me ends this coming week. When you bought it they will have supplied you with a shipping estimate range.

I'm looking forward to it to. Just got a used pair of he500s,and now I need to decide if I upgrade my modi 1 to the x12,or an audio Gd balanced Dac, or something else someone tells me works super well with the h10 and orthos.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,014 of 5,552
My X12 has been sold to a lucky sailor. I still think it is a worthy recommendation for anyone looking for a smooth and musical Sabre in that price range. I did not sell it because I wasn't happy with it but for other reasons.
Anyway, if there is one quibble that I want to mention, then it is imaging/layering. To my ears, the X12 could image and layer instruments/voices in a strange manner, putting them closer together than I'd like I am used to. As in the center instruments and leading vocals sound big and meaty but the backing vocals and further placed instruments could sound stacked or placed in a weird way. IMO. YMMV.
Only quibble, Otherwise an excellent, quite detailed DAC, especially considering the tonality.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,015 of 5,552
My X12 has been sold to a lucky sailor. I still think it is a worthy recommendation for anyone looking for a smooth and musical Sabre in that price range. I did not sell it because I wasn't happy with it but for other reasons.
Anyway, if there is one quibble that I want to mention, then it is imaging/layering. To my ears, the X12 could image and layer instruments/voices in a strange manner, putting them closer together than I'd like. As in the center instruments and leading vocals sound big and meaty but the backing vocals and further placed instruments could sound huddled together or placed in a weird way. IMO. YMMV.
Only quibble, Otherwise an excellent DAC.

In your opinion, what would be a better dac with the h10? Details and layering are very important for the kind of music I listen to.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,016 of 5,552
In your opinion, what would be a better dac with the h10? Details and layering are very important for the kind of music I listen to.

I am not sure what to recommend, sorry. Maybe some of the audio-gd offerings. Their Sabres sound very detailed, especially the NFB-7, which I owned.
The X12 still gets the recommendation from me if you want a smooth and musical sound.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,017 of 5,552
I heard a nasty rumour that some are finding that the h10 does not handle complex music well. Do you guys here who are using the h10 find that to be true?

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,018 of 5,552
Anyway, if there is one quibble that I want to mention, then it is imaging/layering. To my ears, the X12 could image and layer instruments/voices in a strange manner, putting them closer together than I'd like I am used to. As in the center instruments and leading vocals sound big and meaty but the backing vocals and further placed instruments could sound stacked or placed in a weird way. IMO. YMMV.
Only quibble, Otherwise an excellent, quite detailed DAC, especially considering the tonality.

I never felt that imaging was unnatural or off in any way on the LCD-X's, HD800's or LCD-2F's when combined with the H10 + X12 stack.

It's difficult to gauge how something will sound from subjective impressions, but I'd like to add the opinion that I have no issues with the imaging/layering with the H10 + X12. It's also possible that I have not heard even BETTER DACs, but either way I do not feel the need to upgrade anymore.

As you said, YMMV :).

@bavinck what kind of music would you consider "complex"? I've never felt this way about the H10.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,019 of 5,552
Oh interesting. So you also own a Lyr. Do you happen to have any honest observations on the contrast between Lyr and H10?

Yes, many pages back. :)

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,020 of 5,552
I heard a nasty rumour that some are finding that the h10 does not handle complex music well. Do you guys here who are using the h10 find that to be true?

If you were to read through the entire 68 pages of this thread (I'm amazed that we have carried on this long) you won't find any such concern or complaint, except for one comment by a very recent contributor. I think it is quite safe to say that the H10 has no such problem.

There are many variables at play that could give someone this impression. My point is that it is not something inherent to the H10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back