GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Nov 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #122 of 5,552
Hi lukeap69,

Which DAC will you be using with the H10 > HD800?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike

I will be using Audio-gd NFB-1 2015 mostly. I will also try Theorem 720.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #123 of 5,552
I received my H10 today. I have an issue with the headphone plug. If I insert it fully, only the right side transmit sound, none on the left. But if I pull the plug by around 8 to 10 mm, I can hear the sound from both sides. Is this a fault? Do you need to insert your headphones plug fully on your unit?

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #124 of 5,552
That sounds like a flaw in the plug. I'm using the he-400i Jack and I insert it all the way in. Same with my Senn hd600 Jack. This is undoubtedly a mechanical/pressure connection problem inside the plug. They are usually easy fixes if you can get inside to have a look.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #125 of 5,552
Thanks Stuart. I think you are right. I've tried both AKG Q701 and Oppo PM-2 and the result is the same. I am pretty handy but I thought I will ask first if this is a defect or a 'feature' 
biggrin.gif
 I will wait for the seller's response first before I open the unit. Initial impression, congested, compressed, terrible high, nice bass (surprise surprise), and narrow soundstage - never heard the AKG to sound this intimate 
eek.gif
. I will let it burn in for few days and report back.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #127 of 5,552
  Sheesh!   Let's hope it blossoms into something it's not currently.  
redface.gif

I know it will. I kinda expected this based on the impressions on this thread. I think it is good timing since I will be receiving my HD800 within 6 to 7 days. 
popcorn.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #129 of 5,552
Read back a few pages about my burn in experience...something about hanging myself with an interconnect, ha ha. Seriously though, there was a huge difference after playing continuously with my Purist Audio break in disc for two straight days. Contrary to my initial opinion, there was still a small amount of improvement over the next 50 hours. I now use words to describe the sound that are completely opposite of congested, compressed or harsh highs. More like tubulisciously refined audio nectar, lol.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #130 of 5,552
  Initial impression, congested, compressed, terrible high, nice bass (surprise surprise), and narrow soundstage..

Yep.. sounds about right.. LOL.  Let'r cook for a bit.

..and your jack definitely seems defective.. all my phones insert fully and I have no imbalance issues.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #133 of 5,552
Read back a few pages about my burn in experience...something about hanging myself with an interconnect, ha ha. Seriously though, there was a huge difference after playing continuously with my Purist Audio break in disc for two straight days. Contrary to my initial opinion, there was still a small amount of improvement over the next 50 hours. I now use words to describe the sound that are completely opposite of congested, compressed or harsh highs. More like tubulisciously refined audio nectar, lol.

You got it, Stuart.. I think I heard that very last bit of refinement get realized in the last 50 (out of 100 total) hours or so.. I'm not a burn-in fanatic, in the least.. but I've (subjectively) noticed varying degrees of change in most all my head-fi related gear (namely DACs, amps, and IEMs) with use.. the H10 probably changed the most out of all that I've owned.. I'm still pretty surprised.  What I hear now is a distinguishably more elegant, smoother, more spacious, more resolving presentation than what I heard OOTB.

I've been on the fence about getting the HD800 again (especially with that 35% off Senn deal.. that may have, sadly, passed).. one, because I miss the HD800.. two, because I'm very curious about how it'll pair with the H10 (if there's one phone that'll mercilessly reveal the limitations of the H10, it's the HD800).. and three, given that my UE Reference Monitor (which approaches the HD800 in resolving ability and transparency.. albeit in IEM form) seemed to validate the H10's performance, it certainly bodes well for the HD800, IMO.

..BUT.. I think I'll grab the HE-560.. again.

DAMN THIS HOBBY.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #134 of 5,552
Update on the headphone plug thingy...

I tried to open the unit but failed miserably since the allen key I was using is probably metric and I suspect the unit's imperial. sigh! 

However, I am also a mechanical engineer so I've employed the tried and tested method of fixing things. Use a screw driver!

No - I didn't use the screw driver to open the unit. I've inserted it on the socket and did my old family computer Commando game cheat (left, right, left, right, etc.) and voila! Now, the plug is working when fully inserted!!! that took me less than 2 minutes. Now, I am off for another cafe latte while 'cooking' this amp (in the words of Flysweep). By the way, this is the pic of my rig this morning before receiving the H10...

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #135 of 5,552
More like tubulisciously refined audio nectar, lol.

You, my friend, do not make my waiting any easier! I am trying to be patient while burning in this amp... and you are not helping! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back