GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Oct 13, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #5,162 of 5,552
The Mimby DAC needs about 24 hrs. burn-in for the bass to develop. I also recommend using the WASAPI Exclusive codec (either auto-installs or can be downloaded from Schiit's drivers page) and upsampling to 192khz / 24 bits which is it's maximum encoding rate; with audio players that support upsampling such as Fubar or Aimp, which is the one I use

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #5,163 of 5,552
1 year Gustard owner reporting: I decided to upgrade the op amps to LT1358's, and one (back left) lit on fire since I think stupidly put it in backwards.  Now the left channel hums (only slightly noticeable when using it at preferred volumes and there's a tiny bit of damage to the AMP socket.  I could not loosen one of the back screws to remove the bottom to see if the underside is damaged.  I'm wondering if it is possible to repair it. 

I was not using it for music since it does not pair well with my T90's (too bright and harsh), but needed the power for movies and games since my Audiolab M-DAC is too weak.  Currently I am using my grandpa's self built Heathkit AA-1219 which sounds better, but it's hideous and takes up too much space. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #5,164 of 5,552
  1 year Gustard owner reporting: I decided to upgrade the op amps to LT1358's, and one (back left) lit on fire since I think stupidly put it in backwards.  Now the left channel hums (only slightly noticeable when using it at preferred volumes and there's a tiny bit of damage to the AMP socket.  I could not loosen one of the back screws to remove the bottom to see if the underside is damaged.  I'm wondering if it is possible to repair it. 

I was not using it for music since it does not pair well with my T90's (too bright and harsh), but needed the power for movies and games since my Audiolab M-DAC is too weak.  Currently I am using my grandpa's self built Heathkit AA-1219 which sounds better, but it's hideous and takes up too much space. 

Yes, Gastard is using those two opamps in a way too aggressive. One of my H10 burnt out a pair of Burson's opamp. My solution for now is to take off the cover. So far so good in this way, but you have to be careful about the safety!!!

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #5,167 of 5,552
Alright, am I using my Gustard H10 amp correctly?  

For my Philips SHP-9500, i turn on -6 DB since these require nothing to power, then i crank the knob ovver to 3-4pm... sounds lovely... but should I leave DB off entirely and just crank it at noon to 1pm? or does it matter?

I know my Schiit Fulla makes my Fostex T20RP MK3 have deeper bass than the Gustard H10 does, which makes no sense to me... I messed with DB's, etc... some things just pair perfectly I guess and I got lucky on that combo?

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #5,170 of 5,552
What is the point of balanced in? I don't see a balanced out plug. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #5,172 of 5,552
Because balanced input is more resistant to noise and less sensitive to cable quality compared to unbalanced - same reasons why pro grade equipment always uses balanced interconnects, even if they never use balanced headphone jacks.

"100% balanced or bust" became a religion in audiophile community fairly recently, and is not yet universally accepted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back