GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jul 13, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,716 of 5,552
EDIT OK... a bit more searching informs me about the dip switch in the number 1 position. Mine did not come with the switch in the UP position. Now it is... all is good. Playing balanced inputs quite nicely.

Did I read that there are jumpers that need to be set to change from balanced to unbalanced inputs on the H10?
If so, and someone could let me know where they are, I would appreciate it greatly. I got an H10 from one of the Massdrop drops. It came with no documentation. A quick search found nothing online....
So, any help wanted and appreciated.

BTW, I connected the H10 balanced from a DC1. Getting no output. I think I will give unbalanced a try, but sure would like to know how to switch it.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,717 of 5,552
There is dip switches that are in the same spot where the gain dip switches are.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #2,718 of 5,552
  I liked the LCD-2F better than the HE-560 until I upgraded my DAC from Audio-GD Compass (Wolfson chip) to the Schiit Gungnir (and then the Theta Basic III). Just something to consider. It's not just the amp; it's the whole audio chain. And regarding the amp, it's not just how much power it can output, it's also about how good it sounds—but I'm far from an expert on what makes a good amp.

Bottlehead S.E.X.

It certainly seems that, compared to me, your preference is for a cleaner more detailed sound; you seem to value clarity and resolution, whereas perhaps I may prefer a little more solidity and body (these are my adjectives; of course, they could mean something different to you!) to the sound.

My guess (and it's just my guess) is that as you've improved your source, the sound, the details, have been presented in a more listenable manner. Your previous preference for the lcd2: maybe it was because they didn't lay the less well resolved sound so bare. Whereas now, with your dac upgrades, the sound is more 'listenable', you (can now) appreciate the greater resolving abilities (they've been likened to the HD800) of the he560. That's my guess.

As for me: although there's always room for improvement; I think that the quality of my rig is pretty darn good; my source is something that I waited a long time for, and the amp seems to be quite uncoloured. But there's always room for tweaks and upgrades. ALWAYS!

I don't expect that the H10 will be my endgame amp; it should just fill a hole. And that hole is, despite your quite correct opinion that 'power isn't everything', I neeeed more powerrrrr! 
wink_face.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #2,719 of 5,552
Quote:
  BTW (now I'm being lazy) what's the BH s.e.x.? Is this a good (even better) amp for the lcd2?

Originally Posted by DDDamian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stunning. Yes, I prefer it to the Gustard. Surprisingly brighter and more detailed than the Gustard and it's a tube amp. They pop up for sale in finished form in the classifieds, although not nearly as much as the lower-priced OTL Crack which pairs so well with high-impedance cans like the 650 or 800.

Can't recommend it enough, but it costs more than the H-10, has almost no tube-rolling potential, and won't be everyone's cup-of-tea. It'll drive almost anything out there well.

I really was being lazy; it was late; my brain had slipped into neutral! BH = Bottlehead. Thanks to @auvgeek, for pointing that out.

I'll (asap) see how I like the lcd2f-H10 combination. I guess I'll have to wait for the H10 to properly run-in. In the meantime, I'll try to get up to speed on what really is the best (but not unaffordable) amp to drive the lcd. I'll have a closer look at the dedicated lcd2 amp thread, although I don't think that I'll ever trawl through the whole thing.
But the H10 should give me a good reference point; my current amp is just too much of an unknown.
At the moment, the recommendations that come to mind are the likes of the WA6SE, Beta 22, Krell KSA5 clone, and now the BH S.E.X.
Once I find out where the H10 fits into this hierarchy (not as detailed as the BH
smile.gif
 ), I'll know which way I want to go.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #2,720 of 5,552

I really was being lazy; it was late; my brain had slipped into neutral! BH = Bottlehead. Thanks to @auvgeek, for pointing that out.

I'll (asap) see how I like the lcd2f-H10 combination. I guess I'll have to wait for the H10 to properly run-in. In the meantime, I'll try to get up to speed on what really is the best (but not unaffordable) amp to drive the lcd. I'll have a closer look at the dedicated lcd2 amp thread, although I don't think that I'll ever trawl through the whole thing.
But the H10 should give me a good reference point; my current amp is just too much of an unknown.
At the moment, the recommendations that come to mind are the likes of the WA6SE, Beta 22, Krell KSA5 clone, and now the BH S.E.X.
Once I find out where the H10 fits into this hierarchy (not as detailed as the BH
smile.gif
 ), I'll know which way I want to go.

It's all part of the journey. I actually read that whole thread - took ages lol. But you've hit on some of the better amps with the LCD.

Look forward to your H-10 impressions once you receive it and let it cook - it really is great value and a warm yet detailed sound.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #2,721 of 5,552

It certainly seems that, compared to me, your preference is for a cleaner more detailed sound; you seem to value clarity and resolution, whereas perhaps I may prefer a little more solidity and body (these are my adjectives; of course, they could mean something different to you!) to the sound.

My guess (and it's just my guess) is that as you've improved your source, the sound, the details, have been presented in a more listenable manner. Your previous preference for the lcd2: maybe it was because they didn't lay the less well resolved sound so bare. Whereas now, with your dac upgrades, the sound is more 'listenable', you (can now) appreciate the greater resolving abilities (they've been likened to the HD800) of the he560. That's my guess.

As for me: although there's always room for improvement; I think that the quality of my rig is pretty darn good; my source is something that I waited a long time for, and the amp seems to be quite uncoloured. But there's always room for tweaks and upgrades. ALWAYS!

I don't expect that the H10 will be my endgame amp; it should just fill a hole. And that hole is, despite your quite correct opinion that 'power isn't everything', I neeeed more powerrrrr! 
wink_face.gif

Well, honestly, I don't think so. I prefer bass over resolution any day. Can't get enough of it, provided it doesn't get muddy. I think Cap'n Stu is firmly in the detail-retreval camp, as his mods tend to be searching for more detail and resolution in his system. All my upgrades have been to increase the bass in my system. And for the record, I'm just now starting to get enough bass for my taste. Just a hint of what's possible. But for a while, even before I changed sources, I noticed the HE-560 had more/better bass (in terms of air displacement and extension) than the LCD-2F, but the highs were just too much. The 2F is a very polite headphone: not particularly heavy on the bass, not particularly airy in the treble, narrow soundstage, and not very revealing...but warm through the mids. Vocals (can) sound really, really good. My desire to upgrade my source was still when I preferred the LCD-2F because I wanted more bass. Frankly, I haven't heard a system (with an open headphone) that I thought had too much bass. If the jerg mods don't do it for me, I'll have to nab a LCD-2.2, I guess. On that note, here's the link @DDDamian requested to Bill-P's modded LCD-2.2.

(Heading to bed now, I'll have to re-read tomorrow morning to make sure the above makes sense.)

PS. My comments about power only really apply once you reach a certain threshold. Probably 4-10 W or something. I just meant that a low-grade speaker amp outputting 150 WPC isn't necessarily going to sound better than a TOTL headphone amp or a well-designed speaker amp outputting 15-30 WPC.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,722 of 5,552
Jul 14, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #2,725 of 5,552
  Any news of H20? :p

Talking of the 'H20'; my wish list now contains the need for some pre-outputs, to allow easy volume matching of connected ancillaries (such as a potential SubPac purchase), in addition to the ability to act as a pre-amp. This on top of enough power to drive planar headphones (and a 'Gustard style' bargain selling price, of course).

Come on Gustard, amaze us again!

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2,726 of 5,552
  Just got my H10...

WOW

I'm in love!!!

Is OPA 2111 compatible with h10?

Should be as long you place two into the Two Dual channel op-amp sockets that are by the outputs on the rear and not the Two Single channel op-amp sockets.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #2,728 of 5,552

Yes, you are bottlenecking it by your DAC, question is 'how much'. I have heard that new Modi 2 Uber is pretty good, but my experience with original Modi suggests that it does not have much detail/texture, and that is exactly the strong side of H10. H10 can not amplify the detail that is not supplied to it.

I am pretty impressed those days by combination of (new to me) DACmini CX and H10 with low impedance headphones. DACmini bested MusicStreamer II so much that it was not even funny - mostly in smoothness and sheer musicality, HRT sounded extremely grainy in comparison. Original Bifrost put up a good fight, but DACmini still beat it in low end extension (goes much deeper and stronger) and overall sound is a notch smoother (without obvious loss of detail) and more musical. Funny because it has same chip as original Modi, but apparently a lot depends on implementation.

Sorry for your wallet.
tongue_smile.gif

Oh it'll live. It's writhing in agony as we speak
biggrin.gif
, but it'll live. Now to make sure the wife doesn't see that new package arrive... 

I got hold of a Metrum Quad DAC + the accompanying 7VA power supply. Should arrive tomorrow, then I can post some impressions of this DAC's pairing with the H10 and HE-500. Also bought a couple of extra second hand cables since the Metrum doesn't have USB inputs: Audioquest Forest Optical & Oehlbach NF113 coax cables + a pair of Linn Black RCA's. 

Also, now that I have a DAC with SPDIF inputs, I can use my existing Teddy Pardo USB/SPDIF converter to optimize the HTPC > DAC connection. The hard part will be to resist testing all those new variables at once. Every new piece in the chain will have to prove it's worth before it can stay, so I'll swap 'em in one at a time to see what it does.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #2,729 of 5,552
Just received my h10. After going around the house to find the right power cable I connected it. Right now I'm not so impressed, my rotel out is much better. Guess I have to run it for a few days, hope it'll improve.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #2,730 of 5,552
Just received mine (via Massdrop) and I have to say I was a little worried after hearing that others have been experiencing blatant QA issues. So far so good though, no internal rattling, the volume knob turns with ease, no obvious sound issues.

Anyone else pairing their H10 with a Modi 2 Uber and HiFiMan cans?

Currently I'm burning it in with the following setup (will likely keep it configured this way)

iPhone/iPad (Tidal) > AirPlay > TP-LINK AirEnabler > Modi 2 Uber (via USB) > Gustard H10 > HiFiMan HE-560

I'll also be adding a Raspberry Pi 2 running RuneAudio at some point for higher bitrate FLAC playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back