GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #8,686 of 8,904
Thanks for the reply yet again but still no luck I’m afraid… (sigh)

The ethernet cable from my network switch goes to the lower box and the ethernet cable from the upper box goes to the R26.
Something in the fmc chain is faulty, whether it’s the cages, the receiving box, or that first piece of fiber. Try swapping boxes and see if the lights do the same thing, this can at least eliminate one possibility.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #8,690 of 8,904
Thank you all for the suggestions! This is why I love these forums! I'll report back after I try swapping/switching the boxes and cables to try and hunt down the problem.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #8,691 of 8,904
Thank you all for the suggestions! This is why I love these forums! I'll report back after I try swapping/switching the boxes and cables to try and hunt down the problem.
1. If you have multimode modules, you must use multimode cables (OM3 is an aqua jacket or OM4 is an violet jacket).
Yellow cables are singlemode. You can't use a multimode transceiver on single mode fiber optical cable. Large optical loss will occur if a multimode transceiver is connected with single mode fiber.

2. Your modules are multimode dual (Duplex) so you must connect both cables. You can use single (Simplex) cables but you must connect them crosswise

cross.jpg

In your case, you need to buy one of these cables.

OM3 OM4.jpg

If the fiber optic connection works, the green FIBER LED will light up.
The 100M LED is on properly because the R26 network card speed is only 100Mb/s

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #8,692 of 8,904
1. If you have multimode modules, you must use multimode cables (OM3 is an aqua jacket or OM4 is an violet jacket).
Yellow cables are singlemode. You can't use a multimode transceiver on single mode fiber optical cable. Large optical loss will occur if a multimode transceiver is connected with single mode fiber.

2. Your modules are multimode dual (Duplex) so you must connect both cables. You can use single (Simplex) cables but you must connect them crosswise

cross.jpg

In your case, you need to buy one of these cables.

OM3 OM4.jpg

If the fiber optic connection works, the green FIBER LED will light up.
The 100M LED is on properly because the R26 network card speed is only 100Mb/s
Thank you for the reply! I connected my single cables crosswise and got the FMC mod working right away! Haven't had a chance to listen to a lot of music yet, but after a quick listen the sound seems MAYBE a tad bit cleaner. There is MAYBE a little less sharpness around the edges of notes so the separation between sounds might be a bit clearer. I look forward to further listening!

But are you saying that it would still be better to use multimode cables instead of the single cables connected crosswise?

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #8,693 of 8,904
Hello, I have an Asus tuf ax-6000 router. I'm trying to assign a permanent ip to gustard, but after every new run gustard changes the MAC address and not all ip to mac address assignment fails. Have any of you encountered such a problem and have an idea for solving it?

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #8,694 of 8,904
Hello, I have an Asus tuf ax-6000 router. I'm trying to assign a permanent ip to gustard, but after every new run gustard changes the MAC address and not all ip to mac address assignment fails. Have any of you encountered such a problem and have an idea for solving it?
Yes after the last firmware update the R26 now has randomized mac addresses I had mine on a static IP until the update. Don't know how to change it unfortunately.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #8,696 of 8,904
Thank you for the reply! I connected my single cables crosswise and got the FMC mod working right away! Haven't had a chance to listen to a lot of music yet, but after a quick listen the sound seems MAYBE a tad bit cleaner. There is MAYBE a little less sharpness around the edges of notes so the separation between sounds might be a bit clearer. I look forward to further listening!

But are you saying that it would still be better to use multimode cables instead of the single cables connected crosswise?
No you just had the cables switched because you seperated them.
Single mode is more recommended than multi mode for less reflections.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #8,698 of 8,904
Deleted - just read re randomised MAC addresses...

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #8,699 of 8,904
No you just had the cables switched because you seperated them.
Single mode is more recommended than multi mode for less reflections.
Ahh, I see. Can you recommend some single mode SFP module if I want to switch to one down the road or would any single mode SFP module be equally good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back