GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #8,656 of 8,906
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #8,657 of 8,906
Depends on your flavor. On how it will add to the sonic qualities on your system. To the sound you're after. For me Its like Cisco (R26) vs Finisar (A26).

My advice only is, like in any audio purchases: to be fully informed before buying. It might bring, take away, exagerrate or even do nothing to the sound of your system.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #8,658 of 8,906
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #8,659 of 8,906
Hello,
Question in the round Gustard N18/pro or Lhy Audio Fmc.
Would only be intended for use with the R26.
My current Fmc setup are the Fmc speakers from Amazon.
I would use one of the two for the clean side of course, the Fmc box from Amazon for the dirty side.
I absolutely can't decide between the 2 devices.
Insights would be great and a decision to make.
N18 pro could possibly make sense as I still have a Singxer Su 2 which can use a 10mhz as input and the R26 of course.
Is of course a cost question for a how to do at the end.
The latter would not be a must for me, just another option.
Use the R26 with Roon, no HQ player or similar.
Oh well, a Holo Red would be interesting but more the DDC function of the Red's. The internal K2 chip of the R26 is better than that of the Singxer Su2.
The Red would also not be a must, as there are also some problems with it in terms of setup and software, also because of the Roon certification.

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #8,660 of 8,906
So my Fiber Optic media converter arrived today consisting of:
10Gtek Gigabit Fiber Media Converter w/ Pair of Bidi SFP Singlemode Simplex LC Module (Kit #5)
10Gtek OS2 LC to LC Duplex Fiber Patch Cable 0.5m
TOPPING P50 LPS
USB Type A Male to 90 Degree Barrel Connector Charging Cable 5.5 x 2.5mm DC 5V 80cm
Veetop Ethernet LAN Cat 8 RJ45 Cable 0.25

Initial Impressions: Uplift in resolution, separation, blacker background, a bit more analog(?) to my system.
Verdict: For 220Eur total, yes a keeper.

Pics or did not happen:

SeMbNHr.jpg
4wweFSZ.jpg
I'm trying to do the FMC mod for my R26 so I ordered the equipment linked in m-i-c-k-e-y's post above. I now just noticed that the 10Gtek OS2 LC to LC Duplex Fiber Patch Cable 0.5m that I received is a dual cable instead of having a single cable like the one that's showing in the picture.

Can I mod the dual cable to having just one cable or do I need to buy a different cable?

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #8,661 of 8,906
Some R26 transformers do this, mine did/does - if you are referring to a buzz that is emitted from the R26 chassis not from the speakers.

My Puritan power conditioner helped a lot which I put down to its DC blocking amongst other things. Quieter now so I can only hear it up close, originally it was audible from a few metres away.
I found the problem, this noise comes from the internal clock, when i select “external clock” from the menu - sound dissapears

Turn the dial button either direction just a single click (clockwise or counterclock wise)
This noise comes from the internal clock, when i select “external clock 10 mhz” from the menu, sound disappears. So probably something is wrong with the internal clock.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #8,662 of 8,906
Can I mod the dual cable to having just one cable or do I need to buy a different cable?

Split them apart...like on the pic. And use only one

L-Com-SFODZLC-02.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #8,663 of 8,906
Split them apart...like on the pic. And use only one

L-Com-SFODZLC-02.jpg
Okay, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the reply!

So my setup will be: Router -> generic CAT6 ethernet cable (1 m) -> D-Link DGS-105 network switch -> Supra CAT8 STP ethernet cable (1 m) -> FMC -> Veetop CAT8 ethernet cable (25 cm) -> DeLOCK 62619 -> Veetop CAT8 ethernet cable (25 cm) -> R26.

Does that sound correct?

EDIT: ...and the FMC setup is connected to the Topping P50 LPS.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #8,664 of 8,906
images

Try exchanging position (before or after FMC) of your DeLOCK 62619 which would work best for you. It has a slight improvement (DeLOCK) but its there.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #8,666 of 8,906
images

Try exchanging position (before or after FMC) of your DeLOCK 62619 which would work best for you. It has a slight improvement (DeLOCK) but its there.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I couldn't get the setup to work with my Roon. Roon couldn't find my R26 with the FMC mod, so I had to switch back to my previous setup without the FMC which luckily works normally. Hmm, I'll try to get it working again tomorrow.

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #8,667 of 8,906
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I couldn't get the setup to work with my Roon. Roon couldn't find my R26 with the FMC mod, so I had to switch back to my previous setup without the FMC which luckily works normally. Hmm, I'll try to get it working again tomorrow.
FMC mod works with my ROON ROCK does your router see the R26 with the FMC mod?

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #8,668 of 8,906
FMC mod works with my ROON ROCK does your router see the R26 with the FMC mod?
I just checked and my router does not see the R26 with the FMC mod.

Below is a picture of my FMC mod setup. Any ideas what’s wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_5851.jpeg
    IMG_5851.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #8,670 of 8,906
This may seem silly but did you remember to remove the protective covers from the optical cable
Yeah, that I did! 😄 But my knowledge on the issue is very minimal so it’s good that you started with the basics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back