GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #8,641 of 8,833
Wow - lots of talk about switches here. But for something completely different, I am curious about some longer term thoughts on the R26's sonics.

I recently bought an R26. I've put about 300 hours on it, mostly via my headphone system. It honestly sounded underwhelming compared to its lower priced sibling - the Gustard X18 - until it hit about 200 hours, at which point it sounded markedly better.

At about 300 hours I moved it to its permanent place - in my speaker setup, where it is supposed to replace a Musician Draco. Immediately apparent is that the R26's soundstage is pretty incredible. In terms of physical dimensions, the R26's soundstage extended several feet beyond that of the Draco in all directions - which is shocking.

But the images are markedly less dense and the tonal colors much less saturated - making the R26 sound whispy and thin compared to the Draco. So while sounds within the soundstage are expanded, they don't stand out as starkly. While I didn't expect warm and syrupy, I did expect some more analogue body.

Will this change over time? Or is this more or less the final sonic signature of the R26? It is still within the return window, and I am somewhat torn...

I appreciate any advice you all could give!
FMCS and using the LAN input really takes the dac to another level. So if you’re not doing that, then highly highly advise.
Serious had I not wanted to explore dsd with Hqplayer the r26 wouldn’t have left my system.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #8,642 of 8,833
Hey everybody :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #8,643 of 8,833
Just FYI, I've got a full FMC setup if anyone is interested - 2 converters, one LHY linear power supply, one Jameco linear power supply. All you need is a bit of fiber. I've upgraded over the months to switches and audiofool-level fiber converters, so these are just sitting on the shelf. Paid somewhere around $175 for the lot, I'd like $100 shipped to the lower 48 or a few bucks more for Canada. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #8,644 of 8,833
Hey everybody. When i connect R26 to the mains 230V it starts to make some high freequency buzz. I’ve tried different power cables, different sockets, but no luck. Grounding system is really good at my place, I’ve never had issues with that before. Do you have any ideas what can be wrong? Unit is still under warranty. Thanks.

Turn the dial button either direction just a single click (clockwise or counterclock wise)

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #8,645 of 8,833
Hey everybody. When i connect R26 to the mains 230V it starts to make some high freequency buzz. I’ve tried different power cables, different sockets, but no luck. Grounding system is really good at my place, I’ve never had issues with that before. Do you have any ideas what can be wrong? Unit is still under warranty. Thanks.

Some R26 transformers do this, mine did/does - if you are referring to a buzz that is emitted from the R26 chassis not from the speakers.

My Puritan power conditioner helped a lot which I put down to its DC blocking amongst other things. Quieter now so I can only hear it up close, originally it was audible from a few metres away.

Wow - lots of talk about switches here. But for something completely different, I am curious about some longer term thoughts on the R26's sonics.

I recently bought an R26. I've put about 300 hours on it, mostly via my headphone system. It honestly sounded underwhelming compared to its lower priced sibling - the Gustard X18 - until it hit about 200 hours, at which point it sounded markedly better.

At about 300 hours I moved it to its permanent place - in my speaker setup, where it is supposed to replace a Musician Draco. Immediately apparent is that the R26's soundstage is pretty incredible. In terms of physical dimensions, the R26's soundstage extended several feet beyond that of the Draco in all directions - which is shocking.

But the images are markedly less dense and the tonal colors much less saturated - making the R26 sound whispy and thin compared to the Draco. So while sounds within the soundstage are expanded, they don't stand out as starkly. While I didn't expect warm and syrupy, I did expect some more analogue body.

Will this change over time? Or is this more or less the final sonic signature of the R26? It is still within the return window, and I am somewhat torn...

I appreciate any advice you all could give!
More midrange richness and body to my system based around the R26, is something I've been seeking and gaining incrementally though denoising tweaks over time. I see you have a U18, I haven't managed great success pairing it with the R26.. found the R26's internal streamer (at least the HQplayer NAA I use) to be more full bodied, less etched.

All that said this new LHY UIP USB isolator/regenerator that arrived yesterday (think of it as a poor man's Innuous Phoenix) made more of an improvement to midrange warmth and body than I'd have thought possible. Early days, but it is sounding very good indeed - finally a contender worthy of the R26's NAA. Never had any great success previously with USB regerators/isolators or DDCs via I2S, I mean they improved the sound vs not having them, but they've always been a little grainy/edgy/thin vs the LAN.

To be continued...

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #8,646 of 8,833
@TheRealDz I should add I reckon a large part of what you are hearing is just the difference between the Denafrips/Musician and Gustard R2R house sounds as observed by the British Audiophile across a number of vids. IIRC he did find the R26 improved to his liking over the course of several hundred hours to the extent he used it as a reference of sorts but the house sound difference remained.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #8,647 of 8,833
Just FYI, I've got a full FMC setup if anyone is interested - 2 converters, one LHY linear power supply, one Jameco linear power supply. All you need is a bit of fiber. I've upgraded over the months to switches and audiofool-level fiber converters, so these are just sitting on the shelf. Paid somewhere around $175 for the lot, I'd like $100 plus $10 for shipping. PM me if interested.
What audiophool SFPs and fibre do you currently prefer? I’ve just replaced my cheap FMC with a LHY FMC, and noted a surprisingly large difference. Other end is LHY SW-10, and computer has usbc FMC to the other optical port. Cat8 to the streamer (Red). So I need to replace 4 SFPs and 2 fibres.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #8,648 of 8,833
Can anyone suggest a suitable modulator, integrator, and filter for SDM on HQP using a M3 MacBook Air with 8GB unified memory? I don't want to overtax my computer and don't need the best choice. I don't think I'll go beyond 11.2 MHz.

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #8,649 of 8,833
Can anyone suggest a suitable modulator, integrator, and filter for SDM on HQP using a M3 MacBook Air with 8GB unified memory? I don't want to overtax my computer and don't need the best choice. I don't think I'll go beyond 11.2 MHz.

Thanks.
Try
dsd256
1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long
Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-Ip
Modulator = ASDM7ECv2

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #8,650 of 8,833
What audiophool SFPs and fibre do you currently prefer? I’ve just replaced my cheap FMC with a LHY FMC, and noted a surprisingly large difference. Other end is LHY SW-10, and computer has usbc FMC to the other optical port. Cat8 to the streamer (Red). So I need to replace 4 SFPs and 2 fibres.
Nothing too outrageous, but two years ago I would have laughed at anyone who even went as far - I've got a Teradak T-S212 with an OCXO clock on the DAC end, and a Gustard N18 switch/fiber converter on the router side, both with really good cables. Sounds great and looks very stylish :L3000:

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #8,652 of 8,833
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #8,654 of 8,833
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #8,655 of 8,833
Go to AS forum for more detailed impressions/informations on the Finisar and Cisco AOC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back