GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 10, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #8,506 of 8,828
He rearly responds to his YT videos though.. What about the R26 without comparison to the Pegasus?
Sorry for the very, very late response. Haven't been here since I posted what you refer to.
I suggest asking in the comments section to the R26 review at SoundNews.net.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #8,507 of 8,828
I bought another R26 but with the OCK2 clock... but the clock is useless when using USB, right?
Have the Eversolo A6 as transport and wondering how to hook it up to the R26 to it the best way.

Kinda a brain fart moment, especially knowing A6 doesn't have i2S on HDMI.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #8,508 of 8,828
I bought another R26 but with the OCK2 clock... but the clock is useless when using USB, right?
Have the Eversolo A6 as transport and wondering how to hook it up to the R26 to it the best way.

On the contrary it's the asynchronous inputs, USB and ethernet in, where the quality of the DAC's clocking (whether internal or external) matters most. Whereas with synchronous sources (I2S & s/pdif etc) the clock of the device generating the stream is key. There's a couple of other variables too, like what the DAC's PLL is doing, NOS vs OS settings etc, but that's the general rule.

An email response from Gustard confirmed this, will see if I can find and link the post upthread.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #8,510 of 8,828
Interesting, also what about the sine vs square wave master clock signal?
In short: try both and see whichever one sounds better to your ear. Opinions differ. The R26 can receive either. Use a 50ohm cable, particularly key for square wave to match the impedance of the R26 to avoid internal reflections of an impedance mismatch, less key for sine. 50 ohms is also the default setting for the OCK-2, but you can take the lid off to check the internal jumpers haven't been changed to 75. Not all cables are created equal, either. There's been a lot of OT clock discussion and debate on this thread so would rather not repeat it too much here.. PM me if you need more detailed info.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #8,513 of 8,828

Let us know how it sounds, I too have same gear minus the ock2 clock.

In two boats should I get it or not

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #8,514 of 8,828
I'm thinking about changing to the Eversolo A8 as it has the IIS HDMI output which the A6 lacks.
However, the pinout on IIS/I2S is non standard so I wonder - has anyone paired an A8 with R26 yet? I'm afraid the A8 will be close sound wise to making the R26 redundant.

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #8,518 of 8,828
Hi folks, I'm letting go of my lhy ock-2 clock, Gustard R26 and Gustard x26pro. India and EU delivery only.
Pm me.
What are you moving to if you don't mind me asking? Always interesting hearing where the R26 alumni go next.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #8,520 of 8,828
I've left my R26 turned on 24/7 believing this to contribute to the best sound quality. Yesterday, for the first time, it started to drop out momentarily every few minutes until I rebooted it, since when it has been fine again. Any suggestions about what could have caused the dropouts, and do others here leave it constantly on or do you turn off between listening sessions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back